View Poll Results: the age of consent

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • the ones under 18 should be considered child

    27 39.71%
  • the ones under 14 should be considered child

    11 16.18%
  • the ones under 21 should be coınsidered child

    7 10.29%
  • the ones over 14 should be allowed to marry too

    4 5.88%
  • the ones under 14 or 15 shouldnt be allowed to have sex if they are child

    7 10.29%
  • they are not child if they have physical maturity

    1 1.47%
  • they need both emotional and physical maturity to have sex

    11 16.18%
  • it depends on individual differences

    14 20.59%
  • l dont care

    2 2.94%
  • others

    14 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 249

Thread: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

  1. #231
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm not of the understanding that abortion is a 'no big deal' procedure. It's on par with outpatient surgery. Secondly, in many cases it leaves the lady with years if not a lifetime of emotional pain. It sometimes leaves the lady sterile.

    Yes, both males and females can and do contract stds but in some cases even if the std is present, males are less likely to be infected as females due simply to anatomical differences. For example, there is a push right now in Africa for all males to become circumcised because it lowers their risk of contracting various sexually communicable infections including HIV. The reason for this is anatomically, areas of the body that can trap bacteria/virus in a warm and moist environment are more likely to be an incubator for microbes to infect to body. Agreeably both males are females are at risk but with females there's no comparison.

    I'm all for progress and equal opportunity but saying we as a society should disregard all special defenses of ladies due to their unique vulnerabilities is in my humble opinion calloused and extreme.
    If it's early enough, abortion can be performed by medication, at the patient's home. You probably want to take it easy, but it's not a major procedure. It doesn't even require medical supervision after the initial consult and prescription.

    Even surgical abortions are substantially less risky than other kinds of surgery. The body cavity is not injured, and the patient doesn't have to be fully anesthetized, which removes the two most serious risks of surgery.

    The majority of women do struggle with the decision, but ultimately feel relief after it's over and done with. And I would argue that if society weren't so cruel towards women who abort, it might be less emotionally taxing.

    Also, abortion does not cause sterility. That is a myth promoted by the anti-choice community.

    As to STD's, that kind of depends. Some STD's can transmit by skin contact, and leave both men and women very susceptible. And in a lot of cases, the affects on men have been largely neglected by science. For example, we have known for a long time that HPV can cause cervical cancer in women, but we are only now discovering that it causes anal, throat, and other kinds of cancers in men as well.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 02-10-13 at 11:02 PM.

  2. #232
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,015

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What makes people upset is when she attributes things to them which they never said and uses dishonesty in her arguments. That is NOT a "cultural difference."
    you are the one who claims l support pedophilic marriages................

    what does it mean ?

    "will you agree a ten years old girl can marry a man 20 years older than him ?"

    ten years old girl is not a teenage or adult !!
    and " a little " means only 3 4 year gap!!!!!!!!
    l am not like the ones who support all kind of perversions
    and you have no right to punish other people and youngs because you made mistake in the past

    you are very liberal in polygamic discussions!
    Last edited by Medusa; 02-11-13 at 11:27 AM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #233
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,015

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Oh, I didn't know Medusa was not in the US. But I don't think that tainted my posts on the issue. In the Netherlands the age of consent for sex is 16, I believe.
    l started this thread because of polygamy supporters .it has nothing to do with turkey or religions

    it is 18 here..
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    should a man age of 21 be charged with pedohilia and convicted of having sex with a child age of 14 15 0r 16 ?

    when should a person be considered adult ?

    my purpose in starting this thread is not to justify this action

    l just wonder why a person has to be accused of being a pedohilie although he is not sexually interested in little children

    many of the teenagers have the physical maturity to have sex and give birth although not all of them can be emotionally mature to marry and raise their babies.

    if 3 or more adults over 18 can have sex together or marry if polygamy is legalized , why is a person considered pervert pedohilie only because he had sex with a girl who is mature enough to menstruate ?

    if both of them are consent to have sex ,what is teh problem ?

    they dont seem more disturbing than polygamic lovers
    There's a big difference between physical maturity and mental maturity. The reason that the age limit is based on physical age is because there is no way to accurately measure someones mental maturity. Particularly since mental maturity is a subjective thing.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #235
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    In most of the western world, the age of consent is 16. I think that's a better number than 18. Few 14 year olds are ready for sex, and few 18 year olds aren't. 16 looks to be a much more medium age when a good number will be interested in that sort of thing. Keep in mind, we're not discussing the age when a person ought to be having sex, we're discussing the age when it should be a crime to have sex with that person, based on the idea that someone that young cannot rationally make the decision to have sex or not.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #236
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,435

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree but I think that 18 across the board for sexual consent and marital consent is old enough. They have had an opportunity to finish high school by then at least.

    Because of the fact that the are going to be sexually active younger than 25 and perhaps have a resultant pregnancy, they should be allowed to marry IMO. But I would use 18 as the age because of educational purposes, as well as the maturity factor.
    So if you take education out of it, what should the age be?

  7. #237
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Depends on what we consider an adult to begin with. At 18, you're supposedly an adult cause you can sign up to kill people. But you can't buy beer until you're 21 and legal? So... what 'makes' an adult should first be defined.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #238
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Once serving in the military, graduated from a four year college, or having obtained the age of 25.

  9. #239
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well let me ask you this - how many people your age do you know who married at 17/18 that are still together? My guess is probably very few, if any - unless she got knocked up.

    It was common in my grandparents' days because back then, divorce was taboo and frowned upon so you stuck with the person you married, come hell or high water, even if they turned out to be a complete waste of oxygen.

    You CAN get married at 18, just like you CAN get divorced at 20. Then you're on the market as 20 and divorced. Good luck finding someone new, especially if you got a kid out of that brief mistake.
    LOL - I saw this in Medusa's siggy . . . had to quote!

    Because I was married at 17 - divorced at 20 . . . and had 2 kids with him . . . and you're hot for me, too - so apparently all that **** doesn't matter, really - does it?

    It's all in the tits.

    And i Just ruined your point - sorry bout that. OR proved the first point . . . whichever - whatever.

    LOL!
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: at what age should teenagers be considered adult ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    LOL - I saw this in Medusa's siggy . . . had to quote!

    Because I was married at 17 - divorced at 20 . . . and had 2 kids with him . . . and you're hot for me, too - so apparently all that **** doesn't matter, really - does it?

    It's all in the tits.

    And i Just ruined your point - sorry bout that. OR proved the first point . . . whichever - whatever.

    LOL!


    ...and then I'd sneak out when you're asleep.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •