View Poll Results: Should churches be required to honor our constitution and follow the same laws for no

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 57.89%
  • no

    8 42.11%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: Seriously consider before voting

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Really? Odd. In my entire county, I can only think of one actual "mega-church"... but there are hundreds of small churches that get by on a shoestring budget and would probably go under if they had to pay corporate tax rates.

    As for charity, every single soup kitchen and homeless shelter I've ever seen in my area is funded and run by a local church.
    "Go under" ??
    As I see it, with all their good works, their "profit" would be zero...times a tax rate of 50%....the tax would be zero.....no one is going under.

  2. #42
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    If a Church supports a gov'ts war the gov'ts will support the Church. I think organized religion has caused more wars than any other historical reason. Sunnis and Shiites. Jews and Muslims. Christians and heathens. Hindus and Sikhs. The list is long. No tax exemptions for any church building over $40,000 in value.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. If some anti-religious jackass gets elected into the right office, they'll tax churches to death the first chance they get. Congress shall make no law favoring or prohibiting the free exercise of any religion. That means the church is protected from such acts, as it should be.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Consider a mega church with a building that rivals a country club and the pastor preaching his israel prophecy and has a few charitable side shows run by earnest naive members.

    Yet ... he enjoys his flock adoration, the women, the 7 million dollar property, the "christian" cruises paid for and tax free. He is nice looking, loves the stage and charismatic and his wife (formerly his babysitter) sells her base trinkets and crafts through the church.

    There is no front for terrorism or nothing on the sick level of Westboro ... just simple narcissism and greed. Why would this be tax exempt with closed books?

    Billions of dollars and properties are tax exempt with closed books under the guise of churches.

    If they truly are a complete charitable organization they would qualify by filing the same as any other not for profit.

    It is unconstitutional and gives a bias. Why should a non religious based organization have to file and open their books and any church just get a blind faith pass.

  4. #44
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Consider a mega church with a building that rivals a country club and the pastor preaching his israel prophecy and has a few charitable side shows run by earnest naive members.

    Yet ... he enjoys his flock adoration, the women, the 7 million dollar property, the "christian" cruises paid for and tax free. He is nice looking, loves the stage and charismatic and his wife (formerly his babysitter) sells her base trinkets and crafts through the church.

    There is no front for terrorism or nothing on the sick level of Westboro ... just simple narcissism and greed. Why would this be tax exempt with closed books?

    Billions of dollars and properties are tax exempt with closed books under the guise of churches.

    If they truly are a complete charitable organization they would qualify by filing the same as any other not for profit.

    It is unconstitutional and gives a bias. Why should a non religious based organization have to file and open their books and any church just get a blind faith pass.
    If they truly are a charitable organization, they wouldn't be able to afford the mega churches. They're supposed to spend their funds proselytizing and aiding the less fortunate, ergo they should be broke all the time.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.
    Is the blind faith closed book automatic tax exempt status for churches v. another charitable organization that must file and open their books to be tax exempt unconstitutional?

    Should Westboro or the more common narcissistic "flock" church business model or any random belief in supernatural that forms a religion not have to abide by not for profit open book and filing to have the privilege other charitable organizations do not. should my tax dollars be subsidizing their business or beliefs?

    I have no issue with a legitimate religious organization that is charitable filing and being granted tax exempt status.

    I pay a lot in taxes ... why should the non charitable groups operating as churches benefit from our expensive city services and infrastructure in which they comfortably reside?

  6. #46
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It is unconstitutional and gives a bias. Why should a non religious based organization have to file and open their books and any church just get a blind faith pass.
    It would be unconstitutional to tax one church because the pastor looks nice and you don't like his wife, while not taxing some other church because you don't percieve that guy as a rich douchebag. It is a religious organization, because it's a church.

    Without specific examples of what you're talking about, your argument is invalid. On Fairmont pkwy there are two megachurches, and guess what? They're most definately religious organizations since every service provided is religious in nature. Whether you like the people who run it or not is entirely irrelevant.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    If they truly are a charitable organization, they wouldn't be able to afford the mega churches. They're supposed to spend their funds proselytizing and aiding the less fortunate, ergo they should be broke all the time.
    Would you like to see a link to one? They are very common.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    It would be unconstitutional to tax one church because the pastor looks nice and you don't like his wife, while not taxing some other church because you don't percieve that guy as a rich douchebag. It is a religious organization, because it's a church.

    Without specific examples of what you're talking about, your argument is invalid. On Fairmont pkwy there are two megachurches, and guess what? They're most definately religious organizations since every service provided is religious in nature. Whether you like the people who run it or not is entirely irrelevant.

    My reference of taxing is based on charity not on who likes who. Your post is non sensical.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    We are losing on jobs, we are losing on guns, we are losing on drones.....Hey, guys, let's go after churches

  10. #50
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,803

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    I think churches should be tax exempt only so far as their demonstrable charitable work. That ought not include the church building itself, supplies, etc. With so many churches ignoring the requirements that they be politically neutral and endorse no candidates, I see no reason why they shouldn't be taxed. If they want to play the political game, let them pay their damned entry fee like everyone else.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •