View Poll Results: Should churches be required to honor our constitution and follow the same laws for no

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 57.89%
  • no

    8 42.11%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Seriously consider before voting

  1. #31
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Because churches are charitable organizations and charitable organizations should be able to receive tax exempt status. CCW permits have nothing to do with charity.
    Nonsense. Secular charitable organizations must have open books showing the amounts they recieved and spent on charity - "churches" do not. If "churches" are simply "charitable organizations" then no special tax treatment would be needed for them.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    This poll has to do with accountability. I have no axe to grind with any church. I do believe that many churches are charitable and many are not ... just simply places of gatherings and jobs for those collecting funds.

    My OP was about open books and accountability and churches that believe they are non profit could file and be tax exempt and those who are simply gathering places for the preacher to have a place to spout or simply have his "flock" support him should have to account for the money.

    Should Westboro not have to account? Should a mega church in my former city that operates like a country club and the preacher who uses the church as his income base and his ignorant "flock" to test out his claim of knowing prophecy be exempt from opening his books?

    Should a mosque that might be recruiting?

    Yes ... there is church right in front of my window that operates as we all imagine a church might and they would be tax exempt due to their charitable status and their internal operations.

    To give blind tax exempt status under the guise of religion is a violation and unconstitutional and it is subsidizing religion and a violation of separation of church and state.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Here is a SCOTUS case and some numbers to consider.

    "The religiously used real estate of the churches today constitutes a vast domain," Douglas warned " Their assets total over $141 billion and their annual income at least $22 billion. Id., at 232. And the extent to which they are feeding from the public trough in a variety of forms is alarming. Id., c. 10."

    http://ffrf.org/faq/state-church/ite...on-of-churches

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    I would think so.....but, as usual, no vote.
    This requires much more discussion and study....a "quick vote" based on emotion is not good./ One may say that I am "NOT" pro religion/church......but, in the interest of fair play.....lets talk this o'er.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    How exactly are churches not "honoring our Constitution"?

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    A tax exemption is not a subsidy.



    The reason churches are usually tax-exempt is because they often engage in charitable aid, and are a protected institution, as in "the power to tax is the power to destroy".
    A tax exemption is a "break", similar to a subsidy.
    The power to tax could well be the power to destroy, IMO, this is NOT the case in our nation.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Do you equally oppose CCW permits? If go to curch taxation is taboo then so should keep and bear arms taxation. Why is it fair and just to allow property owned by a "church" to recieve public services yet be exempt from the taxation used to support those services?
    I oppose charging a fee for them. I have nothing wrong with requiring permits and registration, but charging a fee should be removed.

    Then again, CCW is a strawman argument. Gun registration and tax exemption from churches are not equatable.

    Like I said before though, honoring our Constitution is to not restrict freedom of worship and religion. The church doesn't run the state, we hear that constantly. The opposite is also true, the state does not run the church and among that is the state not taxing the church. Some people are so mouth foaming adamant about keeping religion out of the government (which typically includes keeping religious morals out of social issues which is another improper restriction of rights, but that's for another thread). The government has no business in religion and worship, period. The Constitution forbids it.
    Last edited by digsbe; 02-09-13 at 01:28 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #38
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    The only legitimate reason I can see for not taxing churches is religious bias, which would conflict with the First Amendment. If the wrong people don't like a particular church or religion, they can paper-**** it into extinction. The IRS needs to be downsized, not given more power.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    While I get what you mean, I don't believe most churches follow the mega church model.
    Those that unjustly enrich themselves, usually get caught, some way or another.
    Would not the Vatican be the prime example ?
    Have they been "caught" ?

  10. #40
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    The only legitimate reason I can see for not taxing churches is religious bias, which would conflict with the First Amendment. If the wrong people don't like a particular church or religion, they can paper-**** it into extinction. The IRS needs to be downsized, not given more power.
    If a Church supports a gov'ts war the gov'ts will support the Church. I think organized religion has caused more wars than any other historical reason. Sunnis and Shiites. Jews and Muslims. Christians and heathens. Hindus and Sikhs. The list is long. No tax exemptions for any church building over $40,000 in value.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •