View Poll Results: Should churches be required to honor our constitution and follow the same laws for no

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    11 57.89%
  • no

    8 42.11%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: Seriously consider before voting

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Really? Odd. In my entire county, I can only think of one actual "mega-church"... but there are hundreds of small churches that get by on a shoestring budget and would probably go under if they had to pay corporate tax rates.

    As for charity, every single soup kitchen and homeless shelter I've ever seen in my area is funded and run by a local church.
    I moved from a small city ...there were 4 mega churches that were like country clubs and use money for cruises and country club settings yet they do some charitable work as well ...

  2. #12
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    No there is nothing to catch ...as the books are closed. Why not file as a non profit ... you are quite naive if you think the closed books is constitutional.
    I just don't care all that much, because it's not a huge problem.
    To me, it seems like mountains out of mole hills.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #13
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I moved from a small city ...there were 4 mega churches that were like country clubs and use money for cruises and country club settings yet they do some charitable work as well ...
    Even open book charities can spend 99% of the donations, on non charitable things.
    There is no legal requirement to spend X% on charitable causes.

    If they were intent on living it up on donations, you obviously saw it.
    Don't give them money.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Really? Odd. In my entire county, I can only think of one actual "mega-church"... but there are hundreds of small churches that get by on a shoestring budget and would probably go under if they had to pay corporate tax rates.

    As for charity, every single soup kitchen and homeless shelter I've ever seen in my area is funded and run by a local church.
    Clearly you did not read the link ... no one said corporate tax rates and those performing like a not for profit would have tax exempt. this is about holding accountability and not blind faith with closed books.

    Non-church groups receiving tax exemptions must annually file a detailed 990 statement itemizing where the money has gone. The IRS automatically waives the 990 requirement for churches.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Tax exemptions for churches violate the separation of church and state required by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution. By providing a financial benefit to religious institutions, government is supporting religion. Associate Justice of the US Supreme court, William O. Douglas, in his dissenting opinion in Walz v. Tax Commission of the City of New York, decided May 4, 1970, stated: "If believers are entitled to public financial support, so are nonbelievers. A believer and nonbeliever under the present law are treated differently because of the articles of their faith… I conclude that this tax exemption is unconstitutional."

  6. #16
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Tax exemptions for churches violate the separation of church and state required by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the US Constitution. By providing a financial benefit to religious institutions, government is supporting religion. Associate Justice of the US Supreme court, William O. Douglas, in his dissenting opinion in Walz v. Tax Commission of the City of New York, decided May 4, 1970, stated: "If believers are entitled to public financial support, so are nonbelievers. A believer and nonbeliever under the present law are treated differently because of the articles of their faith… I conclude that this tax exemption is unconstitutional."
    Tax exemption is not a violation of church and state.
    Any charitable origination, religious or otherwise, can get a tax exemption
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Tax exemption is not a violation of church and state.
    Any charitable origination, religious or otherwise, can get a tax exemption
    Yes by opening their book ...except for churches ...it is AUTOMATIC with closed books. You just made my very point! Not all churches are charitable or just minimally so ...

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Non profits that are charitable open their books and justify their tax exempt status ... why are churches treated differently. That violates the Constitution.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Yes by opening their book ...except for churches ...it is AUTOMATIC with closed books. You just made my very point! Not all churches are charitable or just minimally so ...
    Not all charities with open books are charitable.
    Nor has opening the books changed all that much.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Seriously consider before voting

    Do you think churches should be automaticaaly exempt from opening their books to demonstrate not for profit?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •