View Poll Results: Is this a societal norm or a problem?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • A 'norm' in today's society

    10 25.00%
  • A big problem that needs to be rectified

    27 67.50%
  • It depends on what you consider disrespectful

    10 25.00%
  • Other : Explain

    3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 88 of 88

Thread: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Do you feel that disrespect among young people (ages teens to early 20s) is rampant?

    My own children are 16 and 14, and I'm telling you... cursing and disrespectful behavior isn't tolerated. Although they will try to get away with it, there are very clear and very swift consequences. My children do not swear at me, teachers or other adults. However, some of their friends DO and it seems that either because of lack of parental guidance or laxa-daisy enforcement by school officials country wide - it appears at least, to be an epidemic of sorts.

    Thoughts?
    Torn. I think I'm some was it is a norm, especially in some areas. I also think it is problem. I do, however, see some signs if improvement. Students this year on the whole have been better.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #82
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Respect must be earned, and the elder generations aren't doing a whole lot to earn respect from the young.

    In truth, the mere fact of age should never determine whether or not someone should be afforded respect.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Respect must be earned, and the elder generations aren't doing a whole lot to earn respect from the young.

    In truth, the mere fact of age should never determine whether or not someone should be afforded respect.
    Don't entirely buy that. Until proven otherwise, mere experience and position demands some basic courtesy. Having manners and listening to older people in the normal course of business is not something that has to be earned first. It must be lost before and of a serious nature before rudeness and bad behavior s justified.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #84
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Don't entirely buy that. Until proven otherwise, mere experience and position demands some basic courtesy. Having manners and listening to older people in the normal course of business is not something that has to be earned first. It must be lost before and of a serious nature before rudeness and bad behavior s justified.
    Eh... no. Merely having experiences doesn't mean that someone learned anything from them. And basic courtesy ought to be afforded to everyone, regardless of their age. Being polite and courteous has nothing to do with the interactions between the old and the young. But the older so often expect deference merely for being older. No one should be deferred to unless they earn it, and expecting deference when you haven't earned it... that's pretty disrespectful, I would say. So, you get what you give.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #85
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Oh let me tell you...I was a challenge as a teen. There were worse kids, but I was a handful.

    Just let me say this.. the mother's curse works well..."when you grow you I hope your children act JUST LIKE YOU ". THEY do, and I've since called my mother and apologized for my wild teen years.

    If this is true, than I am in trouble. BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG trouble.

  6. #86
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Do you feel that disrespect among young people (ages teens to early 20s) is rampant?

    My own children are 16 and 14, and I'm telling you... cursing and disrespectful behavior isn't tolerated. Although they will try to get away with it, there are very clear and very swift consequences. My children do not swear at me, teachers or other adults. However, some of their friends DO and it seems that either because of lack of parental guidance or laxa-daisy enforcement by school officials country wide - it appears at least, to be an epidemic of sorts.

    Thoughts?
    While they may not do it to you, in front of you or are reported as doing so does not mean they don't do it. When I was a young kid, I cursed like a sailor. But I never did it in the presence of an adult, especially my mom.

    The problem is, you will never be able to control a kids friends. That is now the major influence in their life now that both parents are to busy working to raise their kids. If you are a family of two working parents, you leave your kids hours on end, to be influence by TV, Internet and even more now than ever, their degenerate friends. It's not cool to be polite anymore, so of course, the more popular kids are going to be the least polite because it's "cool". And in that sense, they are the largest influence in whatever group they infect. Mostly because the parents are not around to observe what kind of people their kids are hanging around with. And of course, everyone's child is a little angle while around their parents, when their parents are not around, which is most of the time, they are far from angels.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #87
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Respect must be earned, and the elder generations aren't doing a whole lot to earn respect from the young.

    In truth, the mere fact of age should never determine whether or not someone should be afforded respect.
    I disagree. Respect is given regardless, and should be. There is no harm in respecting someone even if you don't believe they deserve it. You can be respectfully indifferent and tactfully disagreeable.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Disrespect; a society norm or is it a huge problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Eh... no. Merely having experiences doesn't mean that someone learned anything from them. And basic courtesy ought to be afforded to everyone, regardless of their age. Being polite and courteous has nothing to do with the interactions between the old and the young. But the older so often expect deference merely for being older. No one should be deferred to unless they earn it, and expecting deference when you haven't earned it... that's pretty disrespectful, I would say. So, you get what you give.
    You can learn even from a negative example. But besides the point. If you can't look to experience with common respect, you are not likely to do it across the board.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •