View Poll Results: must polygamy be legalized ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes ,because it is a matter of freedom and it must be legalized

    30 38.96%
  • it must be legalized for only men

    1 1.30%
  • it must be legalized for both men and women

    16 20.78%
  • no ,it is a kind of perversion and it has nothing to do with freedom

    10 12.99%
  • it is just a marginality which may harm society

    4 5.19%
  • it was a tradition in many ancient cultures and defending it doesnt seem so liberalal

    9 11.69%
  • being against it is a bigotry and l defend polygamy as an enlightened person

    5 6.49%
  • it is better than monogamy

    1 1.30%
  • l dont care

    20 25.97%
  • others

    14 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 447

Thread: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Polygamy goes both ways, homie. There could be 5 fathers and one mother. The reason you don't see much polygamy is because it's only legal in Utah, and even there under only certain circumstances. 99+% of people won't do it just because it's legal, so why do you care what some random group of people you've never met do? Your argument is essentially that by adding more variables we're increasing the kid's risk of being abused, which is ridiculous. A kid with 4 parents is more likely to get the attention he or she deserves vs having 1 or no parents. Besides, nothing you've suggested would even remotely prevent such a scenario, just that the parents wouldn't be legally married, but in every other practical aspect were married.

    That's all it comes down to for you, you see a social construct that you don't like, and you want to use government force to enforce your views. This isn't a new tactic, the radical christians here in the US do this all the time. They do it with gay marriage, drugs, alcohol consumption on sundays, prostitution laws, etc. etc. If you're really against it, then don't marry a bunch of people.

    Having the government monopolize marriage, then divy it out to only people they want to is not only ridiculous, but extremely overstepping of their boundries. I'd like to know what part of the US constitution granted the federal government the power to control and define all marriage.
    The government already monopolized marriage. It is not a freely willy sort of thing. it is a state responsability. It is why we have statistics to see how many people got married and how many kids we have. It is why in many countries, marriage comes with certain state benefits like reduced taxes for a certain period and especially benefits to the children produced from that marriage. Like in Russia now, women get a state benefits for having more children because they are dealing with a population crisis there too and are dealing with it in the correct manner.

    Marriage was a religious thing but not anymore. That part is optional. If one wants to become a muslim and indulge in polygamy, fine. I don't care. But don't have those people come around and demand that such behavior be rewarded with the same state benefits as the normal kind of marriage which is known to be a beneficial one for society,as a whole. The normal marriage is the foundation of our society and it will always be for obvious and logical reasons.

    And yes, while it is true that there is no way of stopping people to be involved and live with multiple partners in the same house, and give into depravity, that is not the point. The point is not to reward this behavior and consider it on the same level with monogamy because it is clearly the inferior option, proven by society and history.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,098

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I don't support traditional polygamy (essentially, selling a bunch of women to a man as his house slaves and baby factories). However, from the options you gave, I don't think that's what you mean.

    I think what you mean is polyamory. Polyamory is an equal and consensual relationship between 3 or more partners of any combination of genders. And yes, I fully support legalizing marriage for polyamorous partners.
    hi smoke .)

    l think l am bigot and backward because l cant tolerate such things
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #83
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    l would like to know your points of view on polygamic marriages which include more than two spouses .
    It is the way of the future, multiple people living together sharing expenses, child rearing, ect . With a divorce rate above 50% it's time to look at other ways to keep people together. Humans are competitive by nature multiple partners would increase competition among those involved keepiinng those involved more aware of the needs of the other people involved. Lets face it men are more inclined to do gender specific activities and women are inclined to do gender specific activities. The long and the short of it is that it is nobodies business what consenting adults do.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,098

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    It is the way of the future, multiple people living together sharing expenses, child rearing, ect . With a divorce rate above 50% it's time to look at other ways to keep people together. Humans are competitive by nature multiple partners would increase competition among those involved keepiinng those involved more aware of the needs of the other people involved. Lets face it men are more inclined to do gender specific activities and women are inclined to do gender specific activities. The long and the short of it is that it is nobodies business what consenting adults do.
    l really dont want such a future , the current situation of the world is already terrible many men tend to have lots of women at the same time and if it is legalized , it means it will also be normalized and it will be the men who will benefit from this " freedom "
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  5. #85
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,012

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    I hesitated and then didn't select the first option because of the word must. There is an implication there of "right now" similar to SSM that I can't agree with. Right now, there only real obstacle to SSM is getting the law to recognize it. Otherwise the rules in place now fully cover such a marriage. Multi-spouse marriage on the other hand has a whole lot a added dynamics that need to be looked at before trying to bring in into our legal system. This would be the first time that multi-spouse marriage would be part of a legal system like the US. It would NOT be the first time it has been part of societies and in fact, sans the legal part, does occur right now in the US and many other countries.

  6. #86
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,012

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    l really dont want such a future , the current situation of the world is already terrible many men tend to have lots of women at the same time and if it is legalized , it means it will also be normalized and it will be the men who will benefit from this " freedom "
    Why do you ignore the concept of women having many men at the same time? That is a common error mono's have when dealing with us poly's.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,098

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Why do you ignore the concept of women having many men at the same time? That is a common error mono's have when dealing with us poly's.
    the rate of polygamic women is lower than men's

    thats why it is usually the men who have much more cheating tendencies.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  8. #88
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Yes, but imagine if you had more than one wife to sleep with and your wife had more than one husband to fuss at about the trash?
    That's the optimistic take. The realistic take is that all of my wives would have other men to sleep with, thus relagating me to universal trash duties.

    You might not able to be everything to any person all the time, but it's surprisingly easy to be one thing for many people all the time.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #89
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Of course polygamy should be legal , everybody know every 14 year old girl just dreams about having sex with a man older than her father.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,098

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Because there is a difference between depravity and an institution. marriage is an institution. Not a religious one per se, but a state one since we live in a secular society. You don't permit marriage to be a depraved institution for the same reason that you don't like it when politicians are corrupt assholes.

    If people want to live and love each other in a gangbang house, fine by me. They are free to do so. There is no law preventing a man or a woman to be a complete slut. But that doesn't mean that we need to validate that behavior by adopting it into our civic lifestyle as a society.
    And if you are to put it to a referendum in any civilized country, I will bet you that the vote will overwhelmingly go against polygamy.

    And yes, it has something to do with human nature. If it were in human nature for people to be polygamous, we would have adopted that as a desirable thing and marriage would be that. But since it is recognized that such behavior is pretty much an aberration, a deformity from the standard, we don't permit it.

    Again. Having person liberty and being free from prosecution to be a bad husband or a bad wife, to cheat and to do adultery, does not mean that we need to reward such behavior or validate it in our society.
    yes like incest
    during our evolutionary process we developed social norms which prevented us from getting harmed both emotionally and biologically and helped us accomodate the society in which we had to live together
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •