View Poll Results: must polygamy be legalized ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes ,because it is a matter of freedom and it must be legalized

    30 38.96%
  • it must be legalized for only men

    1 1.30%
  • it must be legalized for both men and women

    16 20.78%
  • no ,it is a kind of perversion and it has nothing to do with freedom

    10 12.99%
  • it is just a marginality which may harm society

    4 5.19%
  • it was a tradition in many ancient cultures and defending it doesnt seem so liberalal

    9 11.69%
  • being against it is a bigotry and l defend polygamy as an enlightened person

    5 6.49%
  • it is better than monogamy

    1 1.30%
  • l dont care

    20 25.97%
  • others

    14 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 447

Thread: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Of course if polygamy were ever to be legalized, they would have to follow the same age of consent laws as anyone else.

  2. #42
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    will we consent to let every action which includes consent adults be legalized ?
    Probably not in every case, but for the most part yes.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Why is it not a good bet? Look at polygamy as it is already practiced illegally. Take away the government restriction and it will become a greater problem.
    Because I can't think of a society were it became the norm where it was done without coercion or wasn't the result of bad government policy.

    Women and girls are already being coerced.
    Indeed and that would still not be allowed.

    Because there are men who manipulate women and girls into these marriages.
    Exactly. We still wouldn't allow that.

    Again, it doesn't have to be widespread to be bad.
    No, but none of what you said here would be allowed, so your point seems lost on me.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because I can't think of a society were it became the norm where it was done without coercion or was the result of bad government policy.



    Indeed and that would still not be allowed.



    Exactly. We still wouldn't allow that.



    No, but none of what you said here would be allowed, so your point seems lost on me.
    1. Then why legalize it?

    2, 3, 4. How will legalizing polygamy keep it from happening?

  5. #45
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So your opinions are based on worst case scenarios where non-consenting women are forced into marriage-slavery?

    :
    I base my opinion on the extremely large majority who actually wish to practice it.

    If you prefer a rich fantasy life, however, be my guest.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  6. #46
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Whatever.

    ...extremely large majority....good grief©

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I base my opinion on the extremely large majority who actually wish to practice it.

    If you prefer a rich fantasy life, however, be my guest.

  7. #47
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Whatever.

    ...extremely large majority....good grief©
    You really aren't too much up on things, are you?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #48
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    No. Why don't you straighten me out with your facts and figures. No doubt there's a tidal wave of polygamy going on in America and I'm too busy amusing the cats to keep up with the dreadful plague.

    Keep this up and before you know it gay people will be legalized and then where will we end up?


    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You really aren't too much up on things, are you?

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You put this in polls and made no poll.

    Anyway.

    The answer is no. I don't think polygamy is a good thing and it shouldn't become a thing, ever. It is a horrible social construct that is meant to breed superficiality in the familial relationship. It can never be enforced in a truly free society because it goes against the very nature of mankind. It usually takes some sort of pressure for it to be an accepted thing.

    Furthermore, because the ratio of men to women is roughly the same, there is no doubt that it is not the normal behavior of man to have multiple spouses.

    I am however curious if you are addressing this topic strictly from a man to have multiple wives perspective or for a woman to have multiple husbands? The very answer to this question reveals the horrible aspect of this belief. The fact that there is basically no mainstream religion which promotes the idea of a woman to have multiple husbands, but there are at least religions in the world that promote the idea of a man to have multiple wives. And that is mormonism and islam. Without these 2 religions to apply and condition a people to accept it, such a concept would never stand for the mainstream cultural aspect of a society.
    You're leaving the plural marriage form out of your considerations.

    I've always been intrigued by the idea of plural marriage as portrayed by Heinlein.

    Not for everybody, but not necessarily negative in any way.

    We act like love is a limited thing, but it isn't in my experience.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #50
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Why would any sane man want to have more than one woman reminding him he forgot to put the seat down?

    One good woman at a time is all I need.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •