View Poll Results: must polygamy be legalized ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes ,because it is a matter of freedom and it must be legalized

    30 38.96%
  • it must be legalized for only men

    1 1.30%
  • it must be legalized for both men and women

    16 20.78%
  • no ,it is a kind of perversion and it has nothing to do with freedom

    10 12.99%
  • it is just a marginality which may harm society

    4 5.19%
  • it was a tradition in many ancient cultures and defending it doesnt seem so liberalal

    9 11.69%
  • being against it is a bigotry and l defend polygamy as an enlightened person

    5 6.49%
  • it is better than monogamy

    1 1.30%
  • l dont care

    20 25.97%
  • others

    14 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 447

Thread: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

  1. #21
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    So your opinions are based on worst case scenarios where non-consenting women are forced into marriage-slavery?

    Then how do you feel about traditional marriage and all those children they produce that don't get a good education and a cashmere sweater for Xmas? Should we ban marriage? How about sex? Surely sex should be illegal under "liberal values".




    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Considering the vast majority indulging in the practice are doing so as a product of a misogynistic culture where men are do dominant over their wives there can be no real "choice" involved from the female perspective due to all the societal pressures that support such a practice, it is clearly an illiberal institution that acts against liberal values.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Because the government is often asked to support the children of polygamous relationships. The women are often on food stamps and welfare.



    CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

    Also, due to one man marrying multiple women, the pool of marriageable women shrinks forcing young girls and women into arranged marriages. In the case of Jeffs, it puts pressure on the girls to be married younger than and younger, often to much older men, thus creating the "lost boys". When the older men see younger men and boys as competition, they are cast out of their homes. So they live on the streets, uneducated and unprepared for life without their families.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,079

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Personally I'm not wild about marriage of any type, but if several consenting adults want a polygamous relationship, more power to them.
    will we consent to let every action which includes consent adults be legalized ?
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #23
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    You're asking for a load of difficulties if you legalize polygamy.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So your opinions are based on worst case scenarios where non-consenting women are forced into marriage-slavery?

    Then how do you feel about traditional marriage and all those children they produce that don't get a good education and a cashmere sweater for Xmas? Should we ban marriage? How about sex? Surely sex should be illegal under "liberal values".

    Look to China for what happens when there are not enough women for every man to have a wife. You cannot argue with math.

    As to your argument, why encourage with government blessings, a relationship that will make that situation worse?

  5. #25
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Because the government is often asked to support the children of polygamous relationships. The women are often on food stamps and welfare.



    CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

    Also, due to one man marrying multiple women, the pool of marriageable women shrinks forcing young girls and women into arranged marriages. In the case of Jeffs, it puts pressure on the girls to be married younger than and younger, often to much older men, thus creating the "lost boys". When the older men see younger men and boys as competition, they are cast out of their homes. So they live on the streets, uneducated and unprepared for life without their families.
    Is it any different with children of non-polygamous relationships? I honestly don't know. Is there greater reliance on social services from Polygamists? I would be surprized if there are but I honestly don't know.

    As for the second part of your reply I think you raise a good point. Having lived in Utah myself, I saw a number of polygamy situations. If we are talking about arranged marriages and marriages of young girls to older men, I wouldn't support that. I would support polygamy in "concept" and if all of the parties involved truly are consenting adults.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Look to China for what happens when there are not enough women for every man to have a wife. You cannot argue with math.

    As to your argument, why encourage with government blessings, a relationship that will make that situation worse?
    Why do you assume it would become culturally acceptable behavior and the majority of woman would be interested in it? Somehow I doubt either would happen.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Look to China for what happens when there are not enough women for every man to have a wife. You cannot argue with math.

    As to your argument, why encourage with government blessings, a relationship that will make that situation worse?
    That's true. 80mil single men. Fewer men than that have toppled societies and nations. If the population crisis persists, we may see a lot of bad things in China's future.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Is it any different with children of non-polygamous relationships? I honestly don't know. Is there greater reliance on social services from Polygamists? I would be surprized if there are but I honestly don't know.

    As for the second part of your reply I think you raise a good point. Having lived in Utah myself, I saw a number of polygamy situations. If we are talking about arranged marriages and marriages of young girls to older men, I wouldn't support that. I would support polygamy in "concept" and if all of the parties involved truly are consenting adults.
    In my link, it was explained they have a policy of "bleeding the beast", to milk the government of as much as possible.

    That's the problem though, with pressure on a limited pool of women to marry because there are not enough to go around, situation is created that could end up, as we have seen, forcing women and girls into arranged marriages.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,924

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why do you assume it would become culturally acceptable behavior and the majority of woman would be interested in it? Somehow I doubt either would happen.
    Because we see it already. Women and girls are being forced into it where it exists. Jeffs is in jail for it. Government sanction will only exacerbate the situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    That's true. 80mil single men. Fewer men than that have toppled societies and nations. If the population crisis persists, we may see a lot of bad things in China's future.
    I don't see how they will escape it. The ratio of marriageable men to women has been thrown off so drastically.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    In my link, it was explained they have a policy of "bleeding the beast", to milk the government of as much as possible.

    That's the problem though, with pressure on a limited pool of women to marry because there are not enough to go around, situation is created that could end up, as we have seen, forcing women and girls into arranged marriages.
    However that is assuming a ton of things.

    1. It assumes it would be culturally acceptable
    2. It assumes women would be interested
    3. It assumes the majority of men would actually want more than one wife.
    4. It assumes the response to any sort of crisis is to force women into marriages.

    None of these are very good bets to make. I'm hesitant to say it, but there really is no chance that it would ever become something practiced by a great deal of people in this country.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •