View Poll Results: must polygamy be legalized ?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes ,because it is a matter of freedom and it must be legalized

    30 38.96%
  • it must be legalized for only men

    1 1.30%
  • it must be legalized for both men and women

    16 20.78%
  • no ,it is a kind of perversion and it has nothing to do with freedom

    10 12.99%
  • it is just a marginality which may harm society

    4 5.19%
  • it was a tradition in many ancient cultures and defending it doesnt seem so liberalal

    9 11.69%
  • being against it is a bigotry and l defend polygamy as an enlightened person

    5 6.49%
  • it is better than monogamy

    1 1.30%
  • l dont care

    20 25.97%
  • others

    14 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 447

Thread: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

  1. #11
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    I have 3 cats and each of the 3 is high maintenance. I love all 3 of them and I support all 3 of them. I pet them, give them treats, buy them toys and take them for medical care. Other than the obvious, they are no different than having 3 wives.

    I agree with Aderleth, I'm no fan of marriage. However, I feel we should honor any and all commitments between consenting adults or adopted cats. A contract is a contract.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    One woman I don't get to sleep with bitching at me for not taking out the garbage is enough for me.
    Having to cope with PMT twice or more a month is enough to make me a monk.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The fact is, it's none of your business what consenting adults do with each other. You don't get to decide what's normal and what's not, then base laws off your opinions. If even an ounce of you supports individual freedom, you'd support this.
    This has nothing to do with freedom or liberty. You can pull that case with gay marriage, and you would be right to do so, but you can't pull that case here.
    Freedom and liberty come with the right for you to marry and divorce whomever you want as many times as you want. Freedom and liberty means that you can do adultery and not be criminally tried. Freedom and liberty have to do with you being able to not get married and have sex with multiple women and have illegitimate children and whatever. That is all freedom and liberty.

    Marriage, as recognized by the state (as in, signing the piece of paper) is not just about consenting adults deciding to do whatever they want. Sex is about consenting adults doing whatever they want. Marriage is an institution that is the property of the state. And the state is not just the government, but it is the people, all the people, who are part of that government. it is not just a requirement for the continuation of society and to provide stability and a healthy environment for raising children so that the state may exist in the future, it is also the building block of our society as we know it. You do not have the right to modify it as you see fit just because two consenting adults want to. You can choose to opt out of the system and fine. But don't enter the system and then claim it is a freedom and liberty issue because it isn't. It has nothing to do with freedom and liberty of citizens.

    And yes, I don't get to decide whats normal and whats not. But I don't have to. History and human nature has made that decision for me and for all of us. You have the right to step away from it, and make your own path in life, but you do not have the right to demand that it bends to your will just because of freedom and liberty since as I said, it doesn't enter the domain of freedom and liberty.

    Also, on the funny side of things. Isn't marriage the ball and chain? What freedom you want there :P


  4. #14
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    This has nothing to do with freedom or liberty. You can pull that case with gay marriage, and you would be right to do so, but you can't pull that case here.
    Freedom and liberty come with the right for you to marry and divorce whomever you want as many times as you want. Freedom and liberty means that you can do adultery and not be criminally tried. Freedom and liberty have to do with you being able to not get married and have sex with multiple women and have illegitimate children and whatever. That is all freedom and liberty.

    Marriage, as recognized by the state (as in, signing the piece of paper) is not just about consenting adults deciding to do whatever they want. Sex is about consenting adults doing whatever they want. Marriage is an institution that is the property of the state. And the state is not just the government, but it is the people, all the people, who are part of that government. it is not just a requirement for the continuation of society and to provide stability and a healthy environment for raising children so that the state may exist in the future, it is also the building block of our society as we know it. You do not have the right to modify it as you see fit just because two consenting adults want to. You can choose to opt out of the system and fine. But don't enter the system and then claim it is a freedom and liberty issue because it isn't. It has nothing to do with freedom and liberty of citizens.

    And yes, I don't get to decide whats normal and whats not. But I don't have to. History and human nature has made that decision for me and for all of us. You have the right to step away from it, and make your own path in life, but you do not have the right to demand that it bends to your will just because of freedom and liberty since as I said, it doesn't enter the domain of freedom and liberty.

    Also, on the funny side of things. Isn't marriage the ball and chain? What freedom you want there :P

    I think it's sadly ironic that you are making the exact same argument that the gay haters make. It's not natural and that's why it should be illegal. The government should not be in the business of dictating to people whom they can or can not marry. We're talking about whether it should be legal or not, not whether you like it personally. I'll be sure to bring this up the next time I see you saying absolutely anything about liberty or small government.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Must it be legalized? No.
    Would it bother me if it was? No.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,164

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Must it be legalized? No.
    Would it bother me if it was? No.
    I agree with that. I'm not going to fight for polygamy to legalized. But if other people want to do that work, I wouldn't oppose it.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  7. #17
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Considering the vast majority indulging in the practice are doing so as a product of a misogynistic culture where men are do dominant over their wives there can be no real "choice" involved from the female perspective due to all the societal pressures that support such a practice, it is clearly an illiberal institution that acts against liberal values.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,850

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    As long as all parties are consenting adults then why should the government be involved?
    Because the government is often asked to support the children of polygamous relationships. The women are often on food stamps and welfare.

    How polygamy affects your wallet
    You may or may not agree with polygamist Warren Jeffs' lifestyle, and you may or may not think he is indeed the dangerous criminal the FBI says he is, but would you believe Jeffs and his followers are costing you money?

    "Their religious belief is that they'll bleed the beast, meaning the government," said Mark Shurtleff, Utah's attorney general. "They hate the government, so they'll bleed it for everything they can through welfare, tax evasion and fraud."

    It makes some sense. Polygamists have multiple wives and dozens of children, but the state only recognizes one marriage. That leaves the rest of the wives to claim themselves as single moms with armies of children to support. Doing that means they can apply for welfare, which they do. And it's all legal.

    "More than 65 percent of the people are on welfare ... compared with 6 percent of the people of the general population," Shurtleff said.
    CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360 Blog

    Also, due to one man marrying multiple women, the pool of marriageable women shrinks forcing young girls and women into arranged marriages. In the case of Jeffs, it puts pressure on the girls to be married younger than and younger, often to much older men, thus creating the "lost boys". When the older men see younger men and boys as competition, they are cast out of their homes. So they live on the streets, uneducated and unprepared for life without their families.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I think it's sadly ironic that you are making the exact same argument that the gay haters make. It's not natural and that's why it should be illegal. The government should not be in the business of dictating to people whom they can or can not marry. We're talking about whether it should be legal or not, not whether you like it personally. I'll be sure to bring this up the next time I see you saying absolutely anything about liberty or small government.
    This has nothing to do with liberty. And I told you but lets counteranalyze your statement shall we. And then we get to the bottom of things.

    You are saying that I bring the same arguments the anti-gay marriage people have.

    Fine, you can say that but the cases are different.
    But if you claim that what consenting adults do, its nobody's business, then you open the door to... incest. Brother and sister decide to get married and have incest. The reason we don't permit it is because there are harmful side effects. Not for them. They'll be fine. But for the children that will result of that... union. We don't permit it because it's messed up and it is an aberration proven by science. It is nothing to do with freedom or liberty. Or if you decide to make this, polygamy, about freedom and liberty for two consenting adults to do whatever they want, then you must provide the same argument and benefit for incest.

    Society cannot exist on unlimited freedom and liberty. There has never been a model of society that has existed that way because human nature desires limits. We need limitations as much as we need freedoms and liberties. There is a line in the sand that can't be crossed because you end up in a horrible, horrible place.

    Monogamy reduces major social problems of polygamist cultures UBC Public Affairs

    This is just one of many studies that show that monogamy is superior to polygamy. It is in our best interest, as a society, to promote it. And we don't have to do a lot of work in promoting monogamy really, it is the natural way of things. Most people are drawn to monogamy and desire it. It is a desirable thing. The ones who want polygamy, don't really want polygamy, they just want to have affairs. And that's the catch, you can, in our society. Because as I said.

    "Freedom and liberty come with the right for you to marry and divorce whomever you want as many times as you want. Freedom and liberty means that you can do adultery and not be criminally tried. Freedom and liberty have to do with you being able to not get married and have sex with multiple women and have illegitimate children and whatever. That is all freedom and liberty."

    EDIT: Oh. And history and human nature proves me right in this because the freest nations in the world adopt monogamy as the standard. It is why polygamy only exists in places where there is a superior power to enforce it. Like state, religion, cult, etc.

  10. #20
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    re: polygamy ? [W: 267,434]

    It has no positive effects on society. The children of polygamous marriages are less well adjusted, in religious communities it can lead to exiling of young men, divorce would be ****ing messy, and it would amplify many of the current social problems associated with the breakdown of traditional marriage.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •