View Poll Results: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the death penalty, would you continue t

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would continue to partake.

    12 52.17%
  • No, I would not continue to partake.

    11 47.83%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 82 of 82

Thread: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

  1. #81
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    No more of a straw man than your false assertion that marijuana is addictive. Here are some facts. Take note of the following:
    You may want to look up what a "strawman is". Correcting a statement you made about Marijuana not being addictive doesn't qualify. You made a point, I made a response refuting that point. Where as in your case, I made a statement, and then you refuted an entirely different point that I never made(that it's not a reason to make it illegal).

    Second...you're "evidence" you're basing your argument around is some random students Blog sitting on a site aside such note worthy entries of stunning scientific value as declaring damage to sperm from WIFI enabled laptops "Spermurder". A blog that he clearly states is just a reprint from "changetheclimte.org", a site whose entire purpose is pushing the legalization of marijuana agenda.

    1) " Myth #4: Marijuana is highly addictive.

    Fact #1 Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans --less than one percent - smoke marijuana on a daily or near-daily basis. An even smaller minority develops dependence on marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive."
    So lets see. First Anecdotal statement that has nothing to do with it's addictive quality. Second, a continuation of that anecdotal non-related statements. Finally, the last line states something I've already stated in terms of its lack of physically addictive nature. Oh, and on top of it all, it's an argument against it being HIGHLY addictive, something I never suggested.

    2) "Myth #1: Marijuana use has been scientifically proven to be really harmful.
    Let me stop you right there. This may be a better example then telling you to look up what a strawman is. Look back over my posts. Find me anywhere in this thread I've stated marijuana is harmful. Now, look back at your post and notice how you're attempting to debate, seemingly against me, the notion that it's not really harmful. That's a strawman, because you sir are not attacking any point I've raised...you're attacking a man of straw you created yourself and then decided to swat down.

    Here's something to go with your students blog post. A narticle by a doctor talking about actual medical documentation

    DSM-IV describes drug dependence as the compulsive regular use of a substance, despite ONGOING negative consequences. Addiction symptoms include all of those listed above for abuse, plus tolerance (the need for a higher dose to get the same effect), withdrawal symptoms (when the drug is stopped) and cravings.

    Some drugs are very physically and psychologically addictive and have obvious, terrible withdrawal symptoms. These are easy to identify, such as heroin, barbiturates or alcohol. Others like marijuana are psychologically addictive, and the withdrawal includes psychological symptoms like anxiety, mood swings and depression.

    Link
    Perhaps a questionable source but at least on par with a random college student is WebMD:

    The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.

    Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.

    Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.

    Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:

    Aggression
    Anxiety
    Depressed mood
    Decreased appetite

    Link
    A similar College based site, like the one you posted, from University of Marylands Center for Substance Abuse Research. If you'll go to the link, you'll find that their informaiton is actually sourced unlike changetheclimates.

    The debate between marijuana and addiction has been growing steadily over the last decade. Many users may not display any signs of addiction or withdrawal, yet the number of users seeking treatment has been growing steadily over the years.6 Overall, it is difficult to say whether or not the drug is physically addictive, but it is known that marijuana use can lead to psychological addiction and social dependence.

    Link
    Finally, I'll trust the words of a guy whose shown a history on this board regarding medical type issues and studies, who also has no bias in this what so ever, over a random students linking to a site with a clear bias

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    FYI: Pot IS physically addictive, though the addiction is light compared to other drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Yeah, peer reviewed studies confirm this, though again, it's a light addiction compared to other things. The psychological addiction is a more powerful component.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I hate it when misinformation is posted on this topic. There is documented research on the addictive quality of marijuana. It is a LIGHT addictive substance; something like heroin or nicotine would be a STRONG addictive substance.
    Which seems to suggest even my earlier suggestion that it's not physically addictive is wrong.

    Note, as I've said in other threads and I believe this one...I'm someone in favor of legalization. Put those who push propoganda in FAVOR of marijuana, not surprisingly often those who have or would've prevoiusly had a significantly vested interest in its legalization, are not helping their cause one iota and are no better than those who buy into the "reefer madness" type propoganda of the other side.

  2. #82
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You may want to look up what a "strawman is". Correcting a statement you made about Marijuana not being addictive doesn't qualify. You made a point, I made a response refuting that point. Where as in your case, I made a statement, and then you refuted an entirely different point that I never made(that it's not a reason to make it illegal).

    Second...you're "evidence" you're basing your argument around is some random students Blog sitting on a site aside such note worthy entries of stunning scientific value as declaring damage to sperm from WIFI enabled laptops "Spermurder". A blog that he clearly states is just a reprint from "changetheclimte.org", a site whose entire purpose is pushing the legalization of marijuana agenda.



    So lets see. First Anecdotal statement that has nothing to do with it's addictive quality. Second, a continuation of that anecdotal non-related statements. Finally, the last line states something I've already stated in terms of its lack of physically addictive nature. Oh, and on top of it all, it's an argument against it being HIGHLY addictive, something I never suggested.



    Let me stop you right there. This may be a better example then telling you to look up what a strawman is. Look back over my posts. Find me anywhere in this thread I've stated marijuana is harmful. Now, look back at your post and notice how you're attempting to debate, seemingly against me, the notion that it's not really harmful. That's a strawman, because you sir are not attacking any point I've raised...you're attacking a man of straw you created yourself and then decided to swat down.

    Here's something to go with your students blog post. A narticle by a doctor talking about actual medical documentation



    Perhaps a questionable source but at least on par with a random college student is WebMD:



    A similar College based site, like the one you posted, from University of Marylands Center for Substance Abuse Research. If you'll go to the link, you'll find that their informaiton is actually sourced unlike changetheclimates.



    Finally, I'll trust the words of a guy whose shown a history on this board regarding medical type issues and studies, who also has no bias in this what so ever, over a random students linking to a site with a clear bias







    Which seems to suggest even my earlier suggestion that it's not physically addictive is wrong.

    Note, as I've said in other threads and I believe this one...I'm someone in favor of legalization. Put those who push propoganda in FAVOR of marijuana, not surprisingly often those who have or would've prevoiusly had a significantly vested interest in its legalization, are not helping their cause one iota and are no better than those who buy into the "reefer madness" type propoganda of the other side.
    Look, people get psychologically addicted to all kinds of crap, whether it be sex, the internet, or marijuana. In the case of marijuana, the fault is not in the weed itself, but in the user.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •