View Poll Results: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the death penalty, would you continue t

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would continue to partake.

    12 52.17%
  • No, I would not continue to partake.

    11 47.83%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 82

Thread: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

  1. #71
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    For some reason I highly doubt those who replied with a yes would still continue to partake once they saw a friend or family member executed for it.

  2. #72
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,153

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    So, nobody get mad at me. I just saw a chance to pose a hypothetical question in line with the OP.

    Suppose they made guns illegal - death penalty for possessing one (or maybe just 30 years in prison). Would you gun owners still keep one?

    (Before you go into the usual rant about guns - I don't own one and I don't mind if you do. OK?)

    Curiosity etc.....
    Make a poll thread.

  3. #73
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,153

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    No, I wouldn't. Feeling high would not matter more than breathing.

  4. #74
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    For some reason I highly doubt those who replied with a yes would still continue to partake once they saw a friend or family member executed for it.
    Excon, if non-use of marijuana carried the death penalty, would you rather smoke weed or be executed?

  5. #75
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkySalsa View Post
    Excon, if non-use of marijuana carried the death penalty, would you rather smoke weed or be executed?
    Start the thread/topic/poll and maybe I, as well as others, will answer.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The fallacy with your argument is that marijuana is not addictive.
    The fallacy with your argument is that your statement is false.

    You'd have a strong stance if you were stating physically addictive. However I believe, and I think it was CC who posted studies some time ago to this assertion, that it absolutely can be psychologically addictive.

  7. #77
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The fallacy with your argument is that your statement is false.

    You'd have a strong stance if you were stating physically addictive. However I believe, and I think it was CC who posted studies some time ago to this assertion, that it absolutely can be psychologically addictive.
    Mashed potatoes and gravy can be psychologically addictive, but it's no reason to make them illegal either.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #78
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Mashed potatoes and gravy can be psychologically addictive, but it's no reason to make them illegal either.
    Nice deflection with a strawman. Where have I stated that it's reason to make it illegal. My only comment was in regards to your incorrect assertion that it is not an addictive substance.

  9. #79
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nice deflection with a strawman. Where have I stated that it's reason to make it illegal. My only comment was in regards to your incorrect assertion that it is not an addictive substance.
    No more of a straw man than your false assertion that marijuana is addictive. Here are some facts. Take note of the following:

    1) " Myth #4: Marijuana is highly addictive.

    Fact #1 Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans --less than one percent - smoke marijuana on a daily or near-daily basis. An even smaller minority develops dependence on marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive."

    2) "Myth #1: Marijuana use has been scientifically proven to be really harmful.

    Fact #1 In 1972, after reviewing the scientific evidence, the National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse concluded that while marijuana is not entirely safe, its dangers had been grossly overstated.

    Fact #2 In 1995, based on thirty years of scientific research, editors of the British journal Lancet (the British equivalent of New England Journal of Medicine) concluded that "the smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health."

    True, marijuana use is not entirely safe, but it sure is a lot less harmful than alcohol, and I don't know of a single case in all of recorded history where someone died after smoking too much weed.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #80
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: If possession and/or use of marijuana carried the ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    What is with these marijuana threads? Why is everyone obsessing over it out of the blue?
    Probably because it was just recently legalized in two states.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •