View Poll Results: Would you want to survive the collapse of society

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, survive at all cost

    34 80.95%
  • No, better off dead.

    8 19.05%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 159

Thread: Live as a survivalist or die?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I am a 'survivalist' I reckon. My kids...better at it than me. Our family has an 'Alamo' that we would all do our best to get to and gather at should things get completely hinkey. Its sustainable and defensible. But should getting there be impossible, we grab 1 pack each and head into the mountains. I wouldnt stick around near cities and wouldnt try to defend my current home.

    People thinking about stockpiling weapons ought to do some serious logistics. If you have to go mobile, you can carry several thousand rounds of 22 magnum or LR ammunition. You arent carrying that much .223 or .308 ammo very far.
    I remember a survivalist fantasy book where a huge wave blankets the left coast, massive earthquakes, etc. One character's 'Alamo' was occupied before he could get there. A rogue Army unit gathers desperate folks to it's banner as it sweeps across the countryside, growing and needing to constantly pillage to keep itself fed.

    What weapons to drag where has always been a good debate. a 22 works well on small critters but if some determined 2 footed kind want to mix it up the 22 lacks dependability. You might be hauling a lot of small game ammo to another group.

    I did enough time under a ruck to think much can be hauled very far for very long by anyone not in peak condition.

    My thought on the bugout compound is unless it has a competent permanent party and already stocked so the arriving folks just need to bring a bare minimum, cuts transport down and flexibility of the trekkers up, it most likely will not be a refuge for you when you need it most.

    These situations remind me of that 'War Games' movie where before launching an actual strike the computer runs through every conceivable scenario only to conclude there is no winner.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I've already answered this post, but I had another thought. I don't have enough ammunition. Or enough guns.

    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that power grids could be taken out by terrorists that would put us in the dark for 4-5 months. That's reality. If that ever happened, we would quickly revert to survival of the fittest. Bullets would count.
    FEMA lists EMP as very real threat. Depending on how big it is you could actually have that scenario, more likely in highly populated areas. If you are far enough away you might not lose your devices but the grid would still be wrecked and communication would be tough. I know guys who literally have ham radios in metal boxes in the ground. Preppers are not necessarily worried about the government, the bigest threat would really be the people running from the cities.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    I don't care if the power goes out just so the cable does not

  4. #94
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,611

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I remember a survivalist fantasy book where a huge wave blankets the left coast, massive earthquakes, etc. One character's 'Alamo' was occupied before he could get there. A rogue Army unit gathers desperate folks to it's banner as it sweeps across the countryside, growing and needing to constantly pillage to keep itself fed.

    What weapons to drag where has always been a good debate. a 22 works well on small critters but if some determined 2 footed kind want to mix it up the 22 lacks dependability. You might be hauling a lot of small game ammo to another group.

    I did enough time under a ruck to think much can be hauled very far for very long by anyone not in peak condition.

    My thought on the bugout compound is unless it has a competent permanent party and already stocked so the arriving folks just need to bring a bare minimum, cuts transport down and flexibility of the trekkers up, it most likely will not be a refuge for you when you need it most.

    These situations remind me of that 'War Games' movie where before launching an actual strike the computer runs through every conceivable scenario only to conclude there is no winner.
    Our 'Alamo' is currently occupied by 'family'. Im really not thinking about getting into a sustained firefight with a whole lot of people. I dont see that as a winning scenario. If we need to go full on survivalist mode each pack has several thousand rounds of 22lr ammo, 1 case of 45 ammo and some fishing gear, along with a good assortment of supplies that you would need to basically go cold weather camping and live for a good while in the mountains. A quick stop at the gun case on the way out and there are several Ruger 10/22s and a few MK2s, and for a bit more punch 45 carbines and 45 handguns (I'm a big fan of weapons redundancy).

    I stress...I am not all that concerned about a worst case scenario. Big cities...maybe...but I think a lot of them have the potential on their current path to end up like Detroit already without a catastrophic 'push'.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I think the idea of some kind of post apocalyptic anarchy is central to modern dude fantasy. How would we, as individuals, fare without the protection of modern society? I don't want to find out, but if it came to it, I'd want to survive and learn whether I am a leader, follower, murderer, or protector. In any case, i would want a lot of bullets and whiskey.

    You can trade bullets for anything, one way or another.
    Don't mean to alarm you but open up a browser window and see if you can find an ammo supplier right now who has any in stock. Seems a lot of people are thinking the same thing. It happened right after Sandy Hook and talk of new gun laws. Think about this: the annual production of 22ammo is about 2.5 BILLION rounds, and it's all gone except for the expensive match stuff. The military doesn't use 22 except for some practice ammo. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

  6. #96
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Ok, what about my numerous elders? One can't walk. Another can't walk distances. A third has a hip replacement. A fourth is has Alzheimer's to the extent she can't live alone, but isn't ready for a home. The rest are merely old and all are on medications they cannot live long without.

    On my toes? Yeah, I might have half a chance with my kids. Them? How am I going to care for them?

    Thank you, I'd rather do without chaos, especially that which ends the lives of the people who have cared for me all my life.
    Your choice.

    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  7. #97
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    FEMA lists EMP as very real threat. Depending on how big it is you could actually have that scenario, more likely in highly populated areas. If you are far enough away you might not lose your devices but the grid would still be wrecked and communication would be tough. I know guys who literally have ham radios in metal boxes in the ground. Preppers are not necessarily worried about the government, the bigest threat would really be the people running from the cities.
    EMP is a real threat and would have significant repercussions. However, several things heavily mitigate that threat.

    1: Lack of availability of missiles that could deliver an such a pulse.
    2: EMP shielding is effective and relatively cheap. Most key facilities have it.
    3: robust contingency plans that the government has to restore key services.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #98
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,611

    Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Don't mean to alarm you but open up a browser window and see if you can find an ammo supplier right now who has any in stock. Seems a lot of people are thinking the same thing. It happened right after Sandy Hook and talk of new gun laws. Think about this: the annual production of 22ammo is about 2.5 BILLION rounds, and it's all gone except for the expensive match stuff. The military doesn't use 22 except for some practice ammo. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?
    I was at a gunshow this last weekend. There was plenty on hand but purchases were limited.

    I have always taught my kids...when you go shooting, if you plan to shoot 2, buy 4 and store 2. We have...plenty.

  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    Ok, what about my numerous elders? One can't walk. Another can't walk distances. A third has a hip replacement. A fourth is has Alzheimer's to the extent she can't live alone, but isn't ready for a home. The rest are merely old and all are on medications they cannot live long without.

    On my toes? Yeah, I might have half a chance with my kids. Them? How am I going to care for them?

    Thank you, I'd rather do without chaos, especially that which ends the lives of the people who have cared for me all my life.

    I'd really prefer civilization be maintained, of course. One likes being able to go out for Chinese or Mexican on the weekend, and not getting shot at too often.

    When my Mom was alive, I had plans to take care of her. Had an Oxygen concentrator for her (she was on the stuff full time), a generator and other backup power to run it, stocked up on her meds, etc.

    No plans to bug out... I live in a semi-rural area on the old family farm, in most scenarios I'm well-placed to stay put.

    However if it came to having to bug out, it would likely have become impossible to keep her alive. She would NOT have wanted me and my son to sacrifice ourselves for her... her life was nearing its end and she knew that, she would not have wanted us to stay behind to die with her if it came to that.

    Just as I wouldn't want my son to stay and die with me, if I was unable to keep up, and if he could continue on by himself and live.

    Hard choices.... another good reason why I'd prefer to stick with civilization if possible.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,872

    Re: Live as a survivalist or die?

    Read Bill Fortschen's One Second After.

    I'm not interested in survival at all costs, but this is a middle-aged perspective.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •