View Poll Results: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Is it because males can't handle social rejection as well as females?

    2 6.06%
  • Are men just more violent than women?

    18 54.55%
  • Other, please explain.

    14 42.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 205

Thread: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

  1. #131
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post

    Your list has 14 shootings in the last decade

    and includes the attack on Rep. Giffords, a political assassination attempt. Let it be so. Let's also not try and dig for "lower profile" cases in Finland and Norway. We still get 0.04 mass shooting per million in US vs 0.4 in Finland. Are Finns ten times as murderous as Americans? Ridiculous.

    Also, look at the map, above the list: if we want to compare apples to apples, Finland is probably comparable not with America as a whole - demographically, economically and socially - but rather with states like New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota...which did not have any mass shootings - not a single one in three decades. What does THAT tell you? Eh, approximately nothing.

    It appears I was mistaken above. The listing I provided above was just the mass murders committed with high capacity magazines.

    "For much of the 20th century there were, on average, a handful of mass killings per decade. But that number spiked in 1980, and kept rising thereafter. In the United States, there have now been at least 62 mass shootings in the past three decades, with 24 in the last seven years alone."
    Are Mass Shootings Becoming More Common in the United States? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Now, let's see your documentation that shows either Norway or Finland had more that 24 mass shootings in the last 7 years?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    women cope better with change/transitions etc. we have to. psychologically we could nt cope with pregnancy and lactation if we didn't.

    women's bodies, and our lives have more often been subject to others.

    american society emphasizes the individual (not the collective) which also places more importance on the individual male achieving success in a society where "anyone can become president" of course, its a lie. social mobility is less in the US than in many other places.

    for vulnerable men who may also be experiencing marginalization or other forms of bullying, this combines with a culture of masculine honour, easy access to weapons and the kind of overt hostility to alternative ideologies so frequently seen in forums such as this.

    all this contributes to an environment which feeds, and even allows justification of dangerous levels of resentment
    You know, that hormone that causes many guys to act macho, and is the common source of an inflated ego? A high level of testosterone can cause a person to cross the line and kill someone, as it is much easier to go into a fit of rage the higher this hormone.

    Naturally, girls have less testosterone, and are more likely to vent anger in a far less violent way then a guy would.

    Women tend to develop empathy better then men, and are on a higher emotional level ...

    Because of this, many women end up connecting to the victim, and their conscience gets the better of them.

    This is one of the reasons women are more likely to kill themselves than someone else.

    Women are more likely to use verbal abuse whereas a guy is more likely to use physical abuse. ...

  3. #133
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Correlation is not causation. All dead frogs on the road were frogs attempting to cross the road, yet not all frogs that cross the road are dead. Naturally you will find more social/economic losers among those becoming criminals, yet far from the majority of social/ecomomic losers are criminals. It may be one contributing factor, yet clearly not "the root cause" since mass murder is very, very rare yet socially/economically unsuccessful males abound.
    You can be satisfied with a frog analogy if you wish. I will go with the published academic study.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #134
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Absolutely.
    Just as "your thing" is leaving people to be defenseless from murderers.

    Funny, before you said easy access to guns was one of the reasons we have so many mass murders.




    That's what you say when you have no other retort.
    It's lame, try defeating my argument with logic or evidence.
    No that's what I say when you provide unsubstantiated opinion.


    That doesn't mean that it's a learned behavior.
    Right, more of a US culture thing.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #135
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Funny, before you said easy access to guns was one of the reasons we have so many mass murders.
    Yes, but your intent to restrict access can cause people to have less choice for defense.
    Just as you have extrapolated from my position, I'm doing to yours.

    Seems all you're here to do is preach your ideology.
    There are other places for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No that's what I say when you provide unsubstantiated opinion.
    No you've yet to provide a counter argument.
    It's a lousy defensive reflex you've created for yourself.

    Can't debate something, then mock it.
    If it's sooooo unsubstantiated, then you should have no trouble defeating it.
    Give it a go, instead of hiding behind lousy defense tactics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Right, more of a US culture thing.
    Thanks for your unsubstantiated opinion!
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #136
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You can be satisfied with a frog analogy if you wish. I will go with the published academic study.
    Confirmation bias is so easily swallowed. So gun control is out of the equation, since only a total "feminization" of society will reduce mass murder. One would think that would have been achieved by more out of wedlock childbirth and more female headed households (now called modern "families"), yet that did not seem to reduce crime/violence in any way, in fact, crime statistics indicate the exact opposite actually occurs. Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #137
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    You know, that hormone that causes many guys to act macho, and is the common source of an inflated ego? A high level of testosterone can cause a person to cross the line and kill someone, as it is much easier to go into a fit of rage the higher this hormone.

    Naturally, girls have less testosterone, and are more likely to vent anger in a far less violent way then a guy would.

    Women tend to develop empathy better then men, and are on a higher emotional level ...

    Because of this, many women end up connecting to the victim, and their conscience gets the better of them.

    This is one of the reasons women are more likely to kill themselves than someone else.

    Women are more likely to use verbal abuse whereas a guy is more likely to use physical abuse. ...
    I used to run therapy groups for men who had anger management issues. when they learnt to deal with their emotions they stopped blaming their lack of self control on testosterone
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  8. #138
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You can be satisfied with a frog analogy if you wish. I will go with the published academic study.
    Don't avoid the last paragraph from your study.

    There are some limitations of the present study. The
    sample of mass murderers that we used in our exploratory
    study is very small and as such is not a representative sample
    of the mass murderers in the United States. Therefore, our
    findings should not be generalised to mass murderers in the
    United States.
    In addition, when concomitant stressors were
    present it was impossible to say what the primary motivator
    was or how the stressors may have configured, to trigger the
    behavior of the mass murderers. In dealing with conflicting
    information from media accounts about a case, we chose the
    information with the greater triangulation. However, future
    research may reveal that the information we rejected because it
    had less triangulation is correct.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #139
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Confirmation bias is so easily swallowed. So gun control is out of the equation, since only a total "feminization" of society will reduce mass murder. One would think that would have been achieved by more out of wedlock childbirth and more female headed households (now called modern "families"), yet that did not seem to reduce crime/violence in any way, in fact, crime statistics indicate the exact opposite actually occurs. Hmm...
    in humans, and in some other species, including, believe it or not, elephants, the lack of adult male role models can lead to an increase in anti social behavior among young males
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    10-27-13 @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,229

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    I used to run therapy groups for men who had anger management issues. when they learnt to deal with their emotions they stopped blaming their lack of self control on testosterone
    So you don't believe that testosterone plays a part?

    Take steroids for instance..an artificial testosterone..and can cause hyper-aggressive behaviour...

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •