View Poll Results: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Is it because males can't handle social rejection as well as females?

    2 6.06%
  • Are men just more violent than women?

    18 54.55%
  • Other, please explain.

    14 42.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 205

Thread: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

  1. #121
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You only included a few of the mass murders in the US in the last decade. Here is a more complete listing:

    Citizens Crime Commission of New York City - Mass Shooting Incidents in America (1984-2012)
    Sure, sure. I said "high profile" - those that attract wide attention. And it all depends on what you count as "mass shooting". But it doesn't change my point:

    Your list has 14 shootings in the last decade - and includes the attack on Rep. Giffords, a political assassination attempt. Let it be so. Let's also not try and dig for "lower profile" cases in Finland and Norway. We still get 0.04 mass shooting per million in US vs 0.4 in Finland. Are Finns ten times as murderous as Americans? Ridiculous.

    Also, look at the map, above the list: if we want to compare apples to apples, Finland is probably comparable not with America as a whole - demographically, economically and socially - but rather with states like New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota...which did not have any mass shootings - not a single one in three decades. What does THAT tell you? Eh, approximately nothing.
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 03-10-13 at 11:05 AM.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Freedom for increased homicides is your "thing"?
    Absolutely.
    Just as "your thing" is leaving people to be defenseless from murderers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Well thanks for sharing your personal opinion!
    That's what you say when you have no other retort.
    It's lame, try defeating my argument with logic or evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    This is the Abstract of the paper:

    "This exploratory study examines the act of mass murder
    as an attempt by the perpetrators to lay claim to a hegemonic
    masculine identity that has been damaged or denied them, yet
    that they feel entitled to as males in American culture.

    Biographical information was gathered for 28 men who have
    committed mass murder in the United States since 1970 and
    examined for evidence of stressors to the perpetrators’
    masculine identities. The majority of the sample demonstrated
    financial (71%), social (61%), romantic (25%), and
    psychological stressors (32%) and other stressors (18%) that
    indicated a failure to attain the hegemonic masculine ideal in
    American culture. There were co-occurring stressors such as
    financial-social, financial-psychological and socialpsychological.
    These stressors suggest that the motivations for
    mass murders are numerous and complex. There is no
    psychological profile unique to mass murderers and many
    authors have speculated on their motivations. However, in this
    study, the range of interrelated stressors experienced by the
    majority of mass murderers threatened their hegemonic
    masculine identity and these men engaged in violence to
    protect their identity."
    That doesn't mean that it's a learned behavior.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #123
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We all have those stressors, yet we don't all committ mass murder. Why?

    And why would women be more capable of dealing with these stressors than men?
    Because more are more likely to commit visible acts of aggression.

    Female aggression tends to be passive or social.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #124
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    And your hegemonic masculinity theory was not?
    I guess you didn't read the well researched study I referenced.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #125
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,703

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Because more are more likely to commit visible acts of aggression.

    Female aggression tends to be passive or social.
    I will suggest that they are simply clever enough to talk a man into doing the deed for them, thus they remain "innocent". You can be a mass murderer serially rather than go all out in a single event.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #126
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I guess you didn't read the well researched study I referenced.
    It's not the information you cite, the information is informative and interesting to read.
    It's that you're completely incapable of applying the information within the correct context and you use it, most inappropriately.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #127
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I will suggest that they are simply clever enough to talk a man into doing the deed for them, thus they remain "innocent". You can be a mass murderer serially rather than go all out in a single event.
    I've heard people say before that women are the "fairer" more "gentle" sex.
    That's utter bull****.

    Women are just as mean and insensitive as men, they just go about it in different ways.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #128
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What? Are you defending the "hegemonic masculinity" theory as less simplistic? My point is that no single factor motivates all (or even most) of these mass shootings. Many have little in common beyond what defines them as mass shootings - a high victim count and guns used during the crime.
    my argument was something else.

    in many cases, acts of violence are informed by a sense of powerlessness, combined with a value system informed by a culture of honour.

    this doesn't mean everyone who subscribes to a culture of honour and experiences a sense of powerlessness will become a killer. a number of other factors will also influence the actions of the individual
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #129
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Is it because males do not handle social rejection as well as females?

    Are males just more violent than females?

    Or other, an please explain;

    Thanks!
    I suspect that there are more female mass ("serial" would be a better term) than we realize, though I also suspect the number would still be fewer than men.

    Females tend to be more subtle. Women are prone to do such things as poison food, and have longer periods between murders, which is much harder to detect as a pattern and as a method. Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for people to simply get sick from bad food and die, so poison wouldn't necessarily look out of the ordinary. Back then, autopsies were very rare, and even when done there wasn't the scientific process to find poisons and such that we have today.

    They also tend to fly under the radar, in part because historically many male investigators didn't think women were capable of doing such things, so the women were never even looked at as suspects.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #130
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,703

    Re: Why are there so few female mass murderers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I guess you didn't read the well researched study I referenced.
    Correlation is not causation. All dead frogs on the road were frogs attempting to cross the road, yet not all frogs that cross the road are dead. Naturally you will find more social/economic losers among those becoming criminals, yet far from the majority of social/ecomomic losers are criminals. It may be one contributing factor, yet clearly not "the root cause" since mass murder is very, very rare yet socially/economically unsuccessful males abound.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •