View Poll Results: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 79.60%
  • No

    41 20.40%
Page 35 of 211 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 2106

Thread: Would you let your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19,1642]

  1. #341
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I never had a problem with blacks in the military or BSA. In fact the Republican Party was the main reason the Civil Rights bill was passed....Most of the dems were from the south and wanted to reject the civil rights act. You never hear that side from the Liberial press.
    Southern Democrats from that time are today's Republicans. Do not think the Republican party is any way the same as it was back then.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  2. #342
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I don't know what he would do...Its just not about him.....Its about openly gay scouts...I would not like to have my son sleep in a small tent with openly gay scouts......If they approve gays openly in the scouts I would not be surprised to see a mass exodus.

    I know your a Catholic hater and you love to spiel your point about the priests but the truth is only about 1% of Catholic Priests have been convicted of any child abuse.
    Keep in mind sir that my wife and her entire family are Catholic. I love them dearly. Also, keep in mind that I live a stone's through from Archbishop Cousin's center (same place where St. John's School for the Deaf was located.) You may recall that that is the place where the whole Catholic pedophilia exposure blew up. You may recall the following cover-up that was investigated all the way to the Vatican. Statutes of limitations prevented much of the prosecutions from that ordeal.

    But homosexuality and pedophilia is alive and well in the Catholic Church. Why are you so focused on BSA rather than the church? If you can turn your blind eye towards the church, why are you having so much trouble with BSA?

    I love the Catholic people. But you are right. I disdain the church much like you disdain homosexuality. The Catholic church is an abomination and not representitive of anything I know to be Godly.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #343
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It is your fear that homosexuality is contagious? You fear that a sexual assault may occur? I submit, sir, that far more sexual assaults have been committed by clergy than BSA yet you defend the Catholic church and do not hold them to the same standards.

    I do understand where you are coming from though. Your generation has been conditioned to fear gays. You were taught that it is a mental disorder and assumingly contagious. That doesn't make you a bad person. Just ill-informed.
    He's a bad person. If his generation were taught that the earth is the center of the solar system and new evidence came forth to disprove that and he ignored it, he would no longer be afforded the luxury of being "ill-informed". The same applies here.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #344
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    He's a bad person. If his generation were taught that the earth is the center of the solar system and new evidence came forth to disprove that and he ignored it, he would no longer be afforded the luxury of being "ill-informed". The same applies here.
    I think Navy Pride is from a generation that simply does not know any better. But I think, in his heart of hearts, he is a good person underneath all the ignorance. We are all products of our environment.

    We should all exercize our tolerance for other people. Navy Pride included. We don't have to agree with him but I have come to learn that the people that are the hardest to love often are the people that need the love the most.

    I simply disagree with NP. But I do respect him and would not hesitate to help him out in any way I can if it was within my means to do so.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #345
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I would ban them because of their lifestyle and what they might do to young impressionable boys......... I feel confident the BSA will do the right thing.
    I feel confident that the BSA will do the right thing as well, but as with many anachronistic customs based on illogical fears and prejudices, it has taken time.

    The reason that I believe the BSA SHOULD end their ban on gays is precisely BECAUSE of what it will do for impressionable young boys. You see, I don't think gay is a disease or a choice, so there ARE and ALWAYS will be children who are gay (not that it is relevant when they are children, but it is still what they are) and they ARE impressionable. The impression I would prefer to give them is that being what they are is perfectly acceptable. Making people hide what they are is one great way to crush a person. Allowing people to be opnely gay does not mean allowing people to have gay sex in public, it just means allowing them to admit what they believe they are.

    I don't believe either of my children are gay, but I want them to know that if they are, it's fine by me, I will love them for who they are, not their sexual orientation. My children are aware of my stance on this, and they are aware that I believe that organizations that discriminate in this way are simply fearful backwards people who will get old and die and take their prejudices with them.

    Go take a look at the hundreds of thousands of conservatives who have reversed their position on this issue for one simple reason, they learned their own child was gay, and in that moment, they come to realize that gay people are not something to fear, but people who want to disciminate against their children over this simple fact of their child's nature are the people to be feared.

  6. #346
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    News Flash:

    BSA decides to kick the can down the road and postpone their decision until May.

    It seems they are between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Their corporate support has diminished and their membership has dropped arounnd 30% due to their current stance opposing gays.

    But there are also people, like NP, who they fear they will lose support from as well if they allow gays to participate.

    My bet is that the money will talk in the end.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #347
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    He's a bad person. If his generation were taught that the earth is the center of the solar system and new evidence came forth to disprove that and he ignored it, he would no longer be afforded the luxury of being "ill-informed". The same applies here.
    Fortunately, we don't punish people for their thoughts. Navy Pride is not a bad person. He is just as entitled to be prejudiced against gays as you are to be prejudiced against people with blue eyes. It is actions that make a person bad . . . not thoughts. Prejudice comes from people judging other people. Perhaps we have a "physician, heal thyself" moment here.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #348
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I feel confident that the BSA will do the right thing as well, but as with many anachronistic customs based on illogical fears and prejudices, it has taken time.

    The reason that I believe the BSA SHOULD end their ban on gays is precisely BECAUSE of what it will do for impressionable young boys. You see, I don't think gay is a disease or a choice, so there ARE and ALWAYS will be children who are gay (not that it is relevant when they are children, but it is still what they are) and they ARE impressionable. The impression I would prefer to give them is that being what they are is perfectly acceptable. Making people hide what they are is one great way to crush a person. Allowing people to be opnely gay does not mean allowing people to have gay sex in public, it just means allowing them to admit what they believe they are.

    I don't believe either of my children are gay, but I want them to know that if they are, it's fine by me, I will love them for who they are, not their sexual orientation. My children are aware of my stance on this, and they are aware that I believe that organizations that discriminate in this way are simply fearful backwards people who will get old and die and take their prejudices with them.

    Go take a look at the hundreds of thousands of conservatives who have reversed their position on this issue for one simple reason, they learned their own child was gay, and in that moment, they come to realize that gay people are not something to fear, but people who want to disciminate against their children over this simple fact of their child's nature are the people to be feared.
    Awesome post. Well thought out. Kudos to you.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #349
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Fortunately, we don't punish people for their thoughts. Navy Pride is not a bad person. He is just as entitled to be prejudiced against gays as you are to be prejudiced against people with blue eyes. It is actions that make a person bad . . . not thoughts. Prejudice comes from people judging other people. Perhaps we have a "physician, heal thyself" moment here.
    Like

    (Couldn't find the like button on your post so I just thought I would print it instead.)

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #350
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    He's a bad person. If his generation were taught that the earth is the center of the solar system and new evidence came forth to disprove that and he ignored it, he would no longer be afforded the luxury of being "ill-informed". The same applies here.
    In combination with my other post.

    THESE are bad people. These church goers:

    Members of the quasi-religious group, Westboro Baptist Church, planned to gather in Connecticut to protest the funeral of Newtown, Conn., shooting victim Principal Dawn Hochsprung. However, Good Samaritans were already there to thwart any possible protest with a human wall.

    The Westboro Baptist Church announced plans to picket Hochsprung's funeral on Wednesday in Woodbury, Conn., and "sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgment." The group has blamed the mass shooting on Connecticut's same-sex marriage legislation. On Dec. 14, 26 people were shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School, 20 of those victims included children ages 6 and 7.

    Motorcylists lined up on Wednesday to protest the possible protesters. "All these guys see us and think we're bad. We're not. It's solidarity, is what it is," New York native Jim Hannigan told Newtown Patch. "I just felt I had to be here."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •