View Poll Results: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    160 79.60%
  • No

    41 20.40%
Page 33 of 211 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 2106

Thread: Would you let your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19,1642]

  1. #321
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Nothing wrong with a child whose step fathers are gay attending camp as long as there are no gays serving openly
    I really don't like the idea of telling people they can't be who they are "openly". Clearly, the argument of "openly" suggests an understanding that there are gay people, and they will be involved in various activities that the rest of the community engages in, yet the idea of saying just don't be what you are "openly" suggests that people should be forced by rule to hide what they are. I find that offensive. The Boy Scouts, as well most youth organizations, sports, clubs, etc, generally have rules about common decency and what is inappopriate to do or say within the group, but to tell people they MUST hide the fact of their sexual orientation or be banned from the group is just revolting to me.

    No one is "normal", we all have areas where we deviate from the norm, for some, it's a ridiculously high IQ, for others, it's a ridiculously high level of intolerance for anything they deem different. Allowing the most fearful among us to dictate the rules is certain to result in some very bad rules.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    I really don't like the idea of telling people they can't be who they are "openly". Clearly, the argument of "openly" suggests an understanding that there are gay people, and they will be involved in various activities that the rest of the community engages in, yet the idea of saying just don't be what you are "openly" suggests that people should be forced by rule to hide what they are. I find that offensive. The Boy Scouts, as well most youth organizations, sports, clubs, etc, generally have rules about common decency and what is inappopriate to do or say within the group, but to tell people they MUST hide the fact of their sexual orientation or be banned from the group is just revolting to me.

    No one is "normal", we all have areas where we deviate from the norm, for some, it's a ridiculously high IQ, for others, it's a ridiculously high level of intolerance for anything they deem different. Allowing the most fearful among us to dictate the rules is certain to result in some very bad rules.
    You might not like it my left wing friend but the BSA are a private organization and can deny membership to anyonr they see fit.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #323
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You might not like it my left wing friend but the BSA are a private organization and can deny membership to anyonr they see fit.
    My not liking it is part of what is changing it.

    Forgetting for a moment on what grounds you believe the BSA and other private organizations can deny membership. Why would you as an individual support their decision (not their right, mind you) to ban people because of what they are? Or do you even support the decision, it appears so, but I can't say I am 100% sure on this.

  4. #324
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    My not liking it is part of what is changing it.

    Forgetting for a moment on what grounds you believe the BSA and other private organizations can deny membership. Why would you as an individual support their decision (not their right, mind you) to ban people because of what they are? Or do you even support the decision, it appears so, but I can't say I am 100% sure on this.
    I would ban them because of their lifestyle and what they might do to young impressionable boys......... I feel confident the BSA will do the right thing.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #325
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I would ban them because of their lifestyle and what they might do to young impressionable boys......... I feel confident the BSA will do the right thing.
    What exactly about their "lifestyle" do you dislike, and what exactly do you think they might do to impressionable young boys?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #326
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What exactly about their "lifestyle" do you dislike, and what exactly do you think they might do to impressionable young boys?
    We have been over this issue a dozen times redress and you know exactly how I feel.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  7. #327
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Why be afraid, most boys that are molested are done so by family members, I would be more concerned at a family reunion.

    My boy is openly gay, so I think knowing other openly gay men would be good for him.

  8. #328
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    We have been over this issue a dozen times redress and you know exactly how I feel.
    No I don't NP. Why are you afraid to state your concerns clearly and openly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #329
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I would ban them because of their lifestyle and what they might do to young impressionable boys......... I feel confident the BSA will do the right thing.
    The thing is my lifestyle isn't that much different than yours. I wake in the morning, go to work, go home to my family, talk about things with my boy, go to bed with my lover.

    His penis doesn't make my "lifestyle" any different. So I don't know what you mean, aside from maybe a gay man telling a kid that he is gay if the kid asks, perhaps talking to the kid if the kid feels he may be gay.

    Your fear that the gay people secretly run around and convert or attempt to convert the straight people is really bizarre. First if a gay guy can convert a straight guy just by being near him, I would say that the straight guy isn't really straight.

    I worked for the boy scouts professionally for years, taking at camps, I worked with youth staff, I worked with youth, and never did I really even think about having sex with the youth, really kids don't do it for me, I like men not boys. I like women, not girls.

    Gay people are not out of control perverts. Do you have an urge to screw 12 year old girls when you are around them?

  10. #330
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: Would you allow your son to go to camp where there were openly gay members? [W:19

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No I don't NP. Why are you afraid to state your concerns clearly and openly.
    I think its more of a reflection than a concern. Really, anywhere there are children there are adults, one in six males are molested as children, one and three females are molested as children, if that was mostly the 1 to 4 % of the population that was gay, we would be screwing children constantly.

    He is afraid that you can catch gay by being in proximity of gay people. The sad truth is that most gay men that I know don't have any outward signs of homosexuality, he could be around gay people and not even know it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •