View Poll Results: Are spy/assassinatin drones morally acceptable?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 33.72%
  • No

    34 39.53%
  • Yes, with explanation

    20 23.26%
  • No or undecided with explanation

    3 3.49%
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 331

Thread: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The only one in this argument who has suggested an absolute is yourself - you have argued the absolutist position that a single non-combatant death caused by US forces makes that action wrong or immoral. Now it seems you are backtracking and dodging. However, that gives you an opening.

    So then is it your argument that reality DOES, in fact, present US Forces or Decision Makers with decisions where no matter what they choose, non-combatants will die?

    You need to answer the question about whether or not these situations exist, and if the Answer is "No", then you need to answer:

    So is it your argument that the enemy does NOT use human shields?

    and if the answer is "Yes", then you need to answer:

    So when faced with a situation where non-comatants will die regardless of the action taken, is it the moral decision to take the action that will net reduce the number of deaths?
    That is not what I've argued. Not remotely. I've argued that drone strikes, as we are running now, on civilian populations where we are at war with no country, in that context are immoral because they get more than the criminals they are after. You've tried to switch the argument to something else.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #122
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That is not what I've argued. Not remotely. I've argued that drone strikes, as we are running now, on civilian populations where we are at war with no country, in that context are immoral because they get more than the criminals they are after. You've tried to switch the argument to something else.


    The Year of the Drone | NewAmerica.net

    and

    The Long War Journal - Charts on US Strikes in Pakistan

  3. #123
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That is not what I've argued. Not remotely. I've argued that drone strikes, as we are running now, on civilian populations where we are at war with no country, in that context are immoral because they get more than the criminals they are after. You've tried to switch the argument to something else.
    You have argued that if a single non-combatant dies then the strike is immoral, without qualification. You continue to dodge and avoid these questions, likely because answering them would force you to expose either yourself or your original argument as foolish.


    But hey, prove me wrong :



    So then is it your argument that reality DOES, in fact, present US Forces or Decision Makers with decisions where no matter what they choose, non-combatants will die?

    You need to answer the question about whether or not these situations exist, and if the Answer is "No", then you need to answer:

    So is it your argument that the enemy does NOT use human shields?

    and if the answer is "Yes", then you need to answer:

    So when faced with a situation where non-comatants will die regardless of the action taken, is it the moral decision to take the action that will net reduce the number of deaths?

  4. #124
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    The long war journal is an excellent source, though it occasionally serves as a forum for ousted commanders to vent.


    Huh, that's odd, it looks like we are not "blowing up entire city blocks" full of non-combatants.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,882

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    I am fine with the use of drones, HOWEVER, I believe US citizens should not be targeted by them. US citizens should be protected by due process. If the government suspects a citizen is a terrorist then they must be brought through the justice system.

    I am also wary over the collateral damage they have caused.
    Last edited by Geoist; 02-07-13 at 01:48 PM.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #126
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,882

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Love the Jon Stewart segment on killer drones. Also love how his audience nervously laugh when he does rip on Obama.
    Skygall - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 02/06/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #127
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Who put this together? How are we assured it is accurate?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You have argued that if a single non-combatant dies then the strike is immoral, without qualification. You continue to dodge and avoid these questions, likely because answering them would force you to expose either yourself or your original argument as foolish.


    But hey, prove me wrong :



    So then is it your argument that reality DOES, in fact, present US Forces or Decision Makers with decisions where no matter what they choose, non-combatants will die?

    You need to answer the question about whether or not these situations exist, and if the Answer is "No", then you need to answer:

    So is it your argument that the enemy does NOT use human shields?

    and if the answer is "Yes", then you need to answer:

    So when faced with a situation where non-comatants will die regardless of the action taken, is it the moral decision to take the action that will net reduce the number of deaths?
    All you have to do is read. In the last post I spelled it fairly straightforward.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #129
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Who put this together? How are we assured it is accurate?
    Click on the links. They're very open and explicit about their methodology and criteria.

  10. #130
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Assassination Drones are OK or morally questionable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    If the government suspects a citizen is a terrorist then they must be brought through the justice system.
    That works well for citizens that are within reach of the FBI. What about citizens in hostile regions on foreign soil?

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •