View Poll Results: Should the Government be in the Marriage Business?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need standards and structure or society will fall

    13 25.00%
  • No, I know what's best for me. Government should serve as a register only

    39 75.00%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106

Thread: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Of course there needs to be a legal distinction with regard to marriage. The same with family relations. Otherwise there's no way to standardize inheritance. Unless you libertarians want to have compulsory laws requiring people to keep a will the moment they turn 18. Otherwise there needs to be standardization.
    Most states have intestate laws. This is a non-issue.

  2. #62
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    [QUOTE=Cardinal;1061422661]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post

    Chez, you do realize that churches are legally allowed to not recognize marriages conducted outside their rules, don't you? I say this because a belief on your part that they are legally required to recognize other marriages is the only fathomable reason I can come up with that you have any problem with the status quo.



    You're hell bent on bringing religion into this, aren't ya? LOL Ok, fine..

    Yes, I am aware currently that religious liberties exempt Churches from having to recognize marriages that fall outside their dogma and doctrine.

    I also remember a time where religious liberties exempted Churches from having to hire outside their faith, provide contraception coverage, and make adoption available to those that fall outside their doctrine and dogma.

    Where did those go?

    Now, you can say "Chez! C3 baby, you're crazy, that ain't ever gonna happen!"

    Just like someone I'm sure said before, regarding those other issues.

    Now as I've said, this is a matter regarding what's the proper role of government for me. I've stated plainly what my views on marriage are but being that it isn't my life I don't have any right to prevent anyone else from doing what they want. It's this addiction to liberty and freedom thing I have, it's a pain sometimes, I know, but hey -- We all have are vices, right?

  3. #63
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post


    You're hell bent on bringing religion into this, aren't ya? LOL Ok, fine..

    Yes, I am aware currently that religious liberties exempt Churches from having to recognize marriages that fall outside their dogma and doctrine.

    I also remember a time where religious liberties exempted Churches from having to hire outside their faith, provide contraception coverage, and make adoption available to those that fall outside their doctrine and dogma.

    Where did those go?

    Now, you can say "Chez! C3 baby, you're crazy, that ain't ever gonna happen!"

    Just like someone I'm sure said before, regarding those other issues.

    Now as I've said, this is a matter regarding what's the proper role of government for me. I've stated plainly what my views on marriage are but being that it isn't my life I don't have any right to prevent anyone else from doing what they want. It's this addiction to liberty and freedom thing I have, it's a pain sometimes, I know, but hey -- We all have are vices, right?
    Then you're going to have to spell out for me how the government being involved in marriage is taking away your liberty and freedom, cause I'm not seeing it. Well, it's certainly infringing on the liberty and freedom of gay people, but that's being addressed.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    State government? Yes.

    Federal government? No.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #65
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You presume that everybody, bar none, would be responsible and draw up a contract.
    Well, marriage is really nothing more than a contract for one, and second, perhaps if things needed to be addressed explicitly we wouldn't have a backlog in divorce court

    Like I had stated -- current "rights of marriage" can simply be extended universally. That's the easiest way, if that route don't tickle your fancy -- Let the negotiations begin!!! Break out the dowry, the goats, chickens, and cows and settle this marriage contract over strong drink!

  6. #66
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    State government? Yes.

    Federal government? No.
    Federal government is what allows your marriage license in California to be the same one you get to keep in Maine.

    Sheesh, it's already enough of a pain in the ass to have to get a new driver's license if I move to another state. Why make life even more difficult?

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Federal government is what allows your marriage license in California to be the same one you get to keep in Maine.

    Sheesh, it's already enough of a pain in the ass to have to get a new driver's license if I move to another state. Why make life even more difficult?
    Is it the federal government or the state government of Maine recognizing marriage certificates issued in California?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #68
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Is it the federal government or the state government of Maine recognizing marriage certificates issued in California?
    Federal law recognizes it, which results in Maine recognizing it. Why did you make me write that out?

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    As a result of Federal law, both.
    Which federal law specifically?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #70
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should The Government Be In The Marriage Business?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Then you're going to have to spell out for me how the government being involved in marriage is taking away your liberty and freedom, cause I'm not seeing it. Well, it's certainly infringing on the liberty and freedom of gay people, but that's being addressed.
    Well, I can only say if you'd like read the comments I left on post #53 here on this page to get where I'm coming from..if you haven't already...

    I mean I'm giving this to you phonetically for Pete's sake.

    Unless you're playing that gotcha game with the words again, how am I being affected -- is that what you're asking? Oh, well, if that's the case, I guess it's the bodhisattva in me.. I don't get mine til everyone else gets theirs...

    (don't think I've forgotten about that agenda of yours, come, come, I've let you have a spin, your turn, gonna fess up?)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •