View Poll Results: Should Taxes Be Raised on Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for smokers, no for obese

    3 4.62%
  • Yes for obese, no for smokers

    2 3.08%
  • Yes for both

    8 12.31%
  • No for both

    52 80.00%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 121

Thread: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

  1. #41
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
    Obviously, since we're CONSTANTLY told how smoking takes 10 years off of one's life, smokers should be given a LUMP SUM DISTRIBUTION of their Social Security equal to 10 years, or be given a REDUCTION in their taxes, since their dying earlier obviously makes them less of a burden to the state..........
    Hmmm...

    ...or, count this as their penalty and leave them the eff alone.

    (I just don't get the desire to punish people and make their lives miserable by dictating and micro-managing... and from people who usually complain the loudest regarding how our society is becoming less free.)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-04-13 @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    790

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Hmmm...

    ...or, count this as their penalty and leave them the eff alone.

    (I just don't get the desire to punish people and make their lives miserable by dictating and micro-managing... and from people who usually complain the loudest regarding how our society is becoming less free.)

    Really.........

    If all these things cost people their lives, and they die sooner, it reduces pay-outs from Social Security, and the system remains solvent longer.....

    I say we ENCOURAGE this bad behavior.........

  3. #43
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Dont know what everyone is dissembling for. Relax...they ARE going to tax smokers more. And the obese. And the healthy. And the breathing. Hell...they are even going to tax the dead more. No one is going to escape the axe.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    One in Five be I (21%)
    Taxes are already in place and rather high for the smoker; these people are so stupid and mindless that more taxes would NOT work.
    On the obese....the fatties....increase the sugar tax....even the so-called diet drinks are dangerous...
    We promoted smoking during the previous century...and are still reaping the negative results.
    Our society laughs with and at the fat, and the clown....both are sad, truth be known...
    I can see why 75% say NO to taxes.....but are they right ?
    Neither group should be "punished", they suffer enough as it is..
    Another approach is ???

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Dont know what everyone is dissembling for. Relax...they ARE going to tax smokers more. And the obese. And the healthy. And the breathing. Hell...they are even going to tax the dead more. No one is going to escape the axe.
    And if we can get decent medical care, its worth it.
    Right now, our health care is anything but, unless thousands of dollars are waved in front of faces....and even then this is not effective.

  6. #46
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    And if we can get decent medical care, its worth it.
    Right now, our health care is anything but, unless thousands of dollars are waved in front of faces....and even then this is not effective.
    Considering the medicare/medicaid abuses, SS abuses, and the general state of the federal government, you should be taxed extra for thinking this is somehow going to get 'better'. And heres the real pisser...if people cut back their excess to things they can AFFORD and werent taxed out the ass for any and everything under the sun, they could do what people USED to do...get their own insurance.

  7. #47
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    I voted no because the government always becomes dependent upon the funds. And what happens when the citizens follow the script of the social engineering and quit, get thinner? Vital social programs that were funded by those increased taxes either get cut or taxes raised for everyone.

    Good example here in Oregon. They used a percentage increase in gas taxes to fund schools, all the while making great hay that folks should drive less, conserve more. Well, the people did, and because they did there was less income from the gas taxes all around. Every program dependent upon gas taxes sufferred.

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I voted no because the government always becomes dependent upon the funds. And what happens when the citizens follow the script of the social engineering and quit, get thinner? Vital social programs that were funded by those increased taxes either get cut or taxes raised for everyone.

    Good example here in Oregon. They used a percentage increase in gas taxes to fund schools, all the while making great hay that folks should drive less, conserve more. Well, the people did, and because they did there was less income from the gas taxes all around. Every program dependent upon gas taxes sufferred.
    Meh. Exact same thing happens in private and pseudo-private industry.

    Example: We're constantly encouraged to conserve energy in our homes, so we do, then we get a rate hike because revenue wasn't as high as wanted.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #49
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Absoultely, we should raise taxes on those who are too fat - or too skinny (anorexia is no joke),

    those who engage in risky behavior (like smoking, bungee-jumping or walking at night in proximity to an Irish pub) - or don't get out enough and fail to enjoy life (they are probably depressed, and will require medical help at some point).

    We should tax the hell out of drinkers - and out of tee-totalers as well (hello? ever heard about the health benefits of red wine?).

    Coffee addicts should be taxed mercilessly (anyone who had ever been yelled at by an overcoffeinated boss will surely agree) - but so should be the irresponsible individuals who avoid coffee, with its well-known anti-cancer and liver-protection effects.

    I mean, come ON! All these people do or don't do all these things, and I have to pay their medical bills later?

    That's just not fair!

    Shouldn't my taxes pay instead for all the other things I had never approved - like bombing some desert I cannot find on the map, or bailing out some well-connected bank that does something I cannot begin to understand, or supporting a Ponzi scheme of a pension fund that is untouchable because they have promised it to themselves?!
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 01-29-13 at 03:57 PM.

  10. #50
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Why don't we start taxing people who want to butt their nose into how other people live their lives?
    Why don't we stop paying for irresponsible people's mistakes and medical care? I think you would find more of them than your suggested group of people.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •