View Poll Results: Should Taxes Be Raised on Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for smokers, no for obese

    3 4.62%
  • Yes for obese, no for smokers

    2 3.08%
  • Yes for both

    8 12.31%
  • No for both

    52 80.00%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 121

Thread: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

  1. #91
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,528

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Medical care costs versus total-life costs to the government are not the same at all. A smoker dying in age 60s of a smoking disease is a big medical expense. BUT a person dying of "natural causes" in their 90s cost the government/taxpayers a whole lot more - including 3 decades of social security and medicare/caid, plus their other old age ailments.

    Thus, under this theory of costs-per-costs-of-the-person, really there should be an old-age tax in which a person's tax rate goes up every birthday.
    Joko, without digging around to verify your data, I'll gracefully take your word for it.

    However, IMHO, anything the government does is always on the cutting edge of corrupt or extremely corrupt.

    Personally, I think that anybody who believes that we have a government that is actually working for "We The People"...needs to be doubly taxed and 1/2 of the tax collected from those folks will go for prosecuting government officials, whether they be elected or appointed to high level positions in bureaucracies, for racketeering and embezzlement. It wouldn't be all that hard to prove...before an unpurchased jury. I admit, jury selection might be hard, but I say...anybody who says they support the "Tea Party"...select'em.

    Thanks...

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    On the contrary, I'm just reminding everyone of why your opinions are of little value. They are birthed in world of fantasy where everyone is isolated and we let people die homeless in the streets. The simple fact of the matter is that your ideas only work there. You have never been able to argue how your beliefs actually function outside of your fantasy land.

    It's not my fault that you don't like the inherent absurdity of your beliefs being broadcasted to everyone.
    Yawn...I'm not sure what my view on SS and your absurd conclusion on it has anything to do with the topic.

    However, lets people do die in the streets. Is that my problem? No, not all. Call it cold hearted, say that I believe everyone is living in vacuum, but the fact is IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM, and while I could be better off if they weren't dieing in the street it matters not to me where they are or what they are doing. The fact is using me to hold these people up is not justified and the stupid ass drama about them dieing if you don't use me doesn't justify ****. Obviously, my idea would "work" in the real world and your stupid point like always falls on deaf ears.

    Well, when you live in a fantasy land, sure. Nothing can change your beliefs. Heck, according to your beliefs, Somalia in the 1990s was a paradise eh?
    It seems like at least half of what you do is drama. Care to back up your claim with something that doesn't involve drama this time?
    Last edited by Henrin; 02-06-13 at 10:14 PM.

  3. #93
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yawn...I'm not sure what my view on SS and your absurd conclusion on it has anything to do with the topic.
    Standard Henrin argument. It's absurd...because I say so.

    However, lets people do die in the streets. Is that my problem? No, not all. Call it cold hearted, say that I believe everyone is living in vacuum, but the fact is IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM, and while I could be better off if they weren't dieing in the street it matters not to me where they are or what they are doing. The fact is using me to hold these people up is not justified and the stupid ass drama about them dieing if you don't use me doesn't justify ****. Obviously, my idea would "work" in the real world and your stupid point like always falls on deaf ears.
    tell me, if you actually believe that, why didn't you move to Somalia in 1993?

    It seems like at least half of what you do is drama. Care to back up your claim with something that doesn't involve drama this time?
    Care to back up anything you say with something other than "I say so?" You're close to 3 years with nothing but "I say so"
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I saw this article and thought it would be a good poll. Personally, I don't see an issue with taxing smokers more especially. The article even points out that the poor smoke more than the rich.........how stupid is that? If you don't have any money, why are you doing something that is totally detrimental to your health and costs an arm and a leg? Full disclosure, I was a smoker and I dipped. I quit cold turkey in Afghanistan. By choice, not by circumstance. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But I'm so glad I did it.
    As far as obesity, it would have to be a little to technical to work. Personally, I don't accept any excuse for obesity other than a medical condition such as thyroid problems. It doesn't matter what your physical capabilities are. If you manage calories effectively, you can lose weight or at least maintain your current weight. You can call that harsh if you want and it may be. But it's true.
    Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense? | Fox News

    Call me back when it is YOUR ox being gored, and we'll see if you still agree.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Standard Henrin argument. It's absurd...because I say so.

    tell me, if you actually believe that, why didn't you move to Somalia in 1993?
    Because in 1993 I was eleven.


    Care to back up anything you say with something other than "I say so?" You're close to 3 years with nothing but "I say so"
    What is there to back up? Lol.

  6. #96
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because in 1993 I was eleven.
    Alright. Fair enough. So why don't you regularly praise 1993 Somalia then?

    What is there to back up? Lol.
    Easy. Go to your name, click on recent posts and read.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Alright. Fair enough. So why don't you regularly praise 1993 Somalia then?
    Because I have no reason to do so??

    Easy. Go to your name, click on recent posts and read.
    Ok, and what am I supposed to be looking for?

  8. #98
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because I have no reason to do so??
    On the contrary, your beliefs fit into an ideal world of essentially Anarchy. And the last time any nation on the planet had that was the 1990s in Somalia.

    Ok, and what am I supposed to be looking for?
    The supreme lack of any thing resembling reason, logic or facts.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    On the contrary, your beliefs fit into an ideal world of essentially Anarchy. And the last time any nation on the planet had that was the 1990s in Somalia.
    What? I don't practice anarchy and not believing in SS doesn't make it so either.

    The supreme lack of any thing resembling reason, logic or facts.
    So basically you just feel like insulting me.

  10. #100
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should Taxes Be Raised On Citizens Who Smoke or are Obese?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What? I don't practice anarchy and not believing in SS doesn't make it so either.
    Ah but your beliefs require it. You want no government programs to exist that will help those who fall on hard times. You want no government programs to exist to help people save money for the future. You want essentially no government anywhere to incentivize people to do certain behaviors or help people at all. You essentially want a government that will let you die in the streets homeless for potential reasons that you had no control over. And you want no government programs to help people prevent themselves from ending up there at all. Essentially you want no social services outside of firefighters and police (and even then that's questionable as you are against being forced to pay taxes to pay for services others use). Granted, not entirely like 1990s Somalia, but that's the closest thing.

    So basically you just feel like insulting me.
    Merely stating the truth.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •