View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or other)

    64 42.11%
  • Agnostic

    24 15.79%
  • Atheist

    37 24.34%
  • Muslim (Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, or other)

    3 1.97%
  • Buddhist

    4 2.63%
  • Hindu

    1 0.66%
  • Jewish

    3 1.97%
  • Eastern Philosophy (Confucian, Taoist, Shinto, etc.)

    1 0.66%
  • Polytheist/Neo-pagan

    2 1.32%
  • Other

    13 8.55%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 175 of 175

Thread: What is your religious denomination?

  1. #171
    Student Pagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    179

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    It is interesting that "atheist" and "agnostic" are given as two different options, when "no religion" would be more logical, along with the listed denomonations.

    Personally, I dislike the word "agnostic" - it carries a bunch of vague meanings, including the conviction that God is unknowable (and how, pray tell, can anyone know that?)

    I call myself atheist, because I see no evidence that God or gods do exist. A-theos, no god, until and unless He bothers to present Himself in a verifiable manner.

    Now, I realize that some people who also call themselves atheists - the Soviet-style atheists, for example - do believe fervently that God does not exist, even before giving "god" any kind of definition or attributes. Well, that is not really atheism - that is a mental illness. (And comes usually along with believing in a whole lot of other nonsense - the same Commies a case in point).
    I disagree

    If I were to call myself an Atheist it would imply that I Knew for a fact. Well the fact is none of us do, thus why I call myself an Agnostic.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

  2. #172
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I disagree

    If I were to call myself an Atheist it would imply that I Knew for a fact. Well the fact is none of us do, thus why I call myself an Agnostic.

    In this case, atheism is logically impossible, because how can we "know for a fact" that God does not exist? We don't even know, really, who or what to look for, "God" notoriously lacking any attributes accessible for empirical evaluation. ("I am what I am", Moses was told - i.e. never mind what I am, you wouldn't understand anyway).

    There's no logical distinction between "atheist" and "agnostic" in your sense: I could say that I am an atheist because I am "agnostic" of any deities, and not because I know, miraculosly, that they are non-existent, but why state the obvious?

  3. #173
    Student Pagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    179

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    In this case, atheism is logically impossible, because how can we "know for a fact" that God does not exist? We don't even know, really, who or what to look for, "God" notoriously lacking any attributes accessible for empirical evaluation. ("I am what I am", Moses was told - i.e. never mind what I am, you wouldn't understand anyway).

    There's no logical distinction between "atheist" and "agnostic" in your sense: I could say that I am an atheist because I am "agnostic" of any deities, and not because I know, miraculosly, that they are non-existent, but why state the obvious?
    Atheists claim to know that god doesn't exist, like those who know there is a god.

    Once who believes in there is a god but doesn't subscribe to a religion is a Deist, they claim to know there is a god.

    Me, I highly doubt there is a god for most evidence show's that god is a myth just like santa claus or the tooth fairy. I'm not going to close my mind nor am I going to be arrogant or ignorant to claim for a fact the on exists or doesn't.

    Thus I'm Agnostic, the door is open just show me some credible proof/evidence
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

  4. #174
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Atheists claim to know that god doesn't exist, like those who know there is a god.

    Once who believes in there is a god but doesn't subscribe to a religion is a Deist, they claim to know there is a god.

    Me, I highly doubt there is a god for most evidence show's that god is a myth just like santa claus or the tooth fairy. I'm not going to close my mind nor am I going to be arrogant or ignorant to claim for a fact the on exists or doesn't.

    Thus I'm Agnostic, the door is open just show me some credible proof/evidence
    Well, you certainly manage to stay agnostic of what I have just written, after just having read it

  5. #175
    Student Pagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 10:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    179

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    Well, you certainly manage to stay agnostic of what I have just written, after just having read it

    Cheers ....
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    -- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •