View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or other)

    64 42.11%
  • Agnostic

    24 15.79%
  • Atheist

    37 24.34%
  • Muslim (Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, or other)

    3 1.97%
  • Buddhist

    4 2.63%
  • Hindu

    1 0.66%
  • Jewish

    3 1.97%
  • Eastern Philosophy (Confucian, Taoist, Shinto, etc.)

    1 0.66%
  • Polytheist/Neo-pagan

    2 1.32%
  • Other

    13 8.55%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 175

Thread: What is your religious denomination?

  1. #131
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    You lump Darwin with Einstein, and they are not the same. Einstein wrote down the rules of physics, the special and general theories of relativity, and he PROVED them beyond a shadow of a doubt. Newton wrote down his attempt at the rules of physics and they worked for everything that was provable when he wrote them. Einstein went much farther and his extensions were definitively PROVEN.


    Theory Of Relativity

    That degree of precision would me needed to control a nuclear reaction and make one splitting of the atom into a bomb vs. another splitting of the atom into an electric generating facility.

    Darwin wrote down his theory and it has never been proven. Darwin certainly never set out to prove god does not exist, and he did not prove that.

    You must differentiate between what is proven and what is theory.

    As you point out, the origin of life has not been explained at all. Scientists are working on it, but don't have it yet and they may never get there.
    First in science a Theory is considered proven and considered fact. The Theory of Evolution has been proved in many fields of Science such as molecular biology, immunology, demonstrated with single celled organisms and the adaptations they make, through computer simulations, though studies in micro evolution that occur in nature. For all intents and purposes wherever it has been proven it is considered fact.

    Second in no case can it be said that a theory is proven beyond a shadow of doubt since Science is not a religion and only the mad are ever absolutely certain. But scientist can be virtually certain that Relativity is true except in areas where Quantum Gravity would need to explain what is going on. Likewise the Theory of Evolution is true except in areas where a shift from one state (non living or chaotic) to a quite different state (living or ordered) occurs.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #132
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, that depends. I've seen many people come and go out of church (and have known or know some personally as well) who seem to be under the mistaken impression that if they attend mass, then they have earned the keys to Heaven. However, it seems that outside of the church setting, they are kind of a-holes.
    That is the problem when you have people who use works righteous doctrine they do not feel they have to atone and act as bastards also. Some of the worst things were committed in human history were by those who were certain they were right and certain they would be well rewarded after they die.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  3. #133
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No, I believe that Universal Morality is the embracing of our instincts and nature AGAINST the capability to deny/overcome it. It is my view that we are here to prove the capability of our Souls to do what we Should rather than what we Can. To fight against the intellectual urge to be more than we are supposed to be; and rather to live life as it Should be lived rather than how it Can be lived.
    By an large humans of the world are living your way and the end result will be the extinction of the human race. We have reached the limit from what some of our basic instincts will allow when we developed civilization and if we are to survive we must change these instincts so that we can live with one another and not get in each others way demanding that all must live one particular way. That in a crisis we do not rely on the instinct to follow one charismatic leader that promises deliverance if we were to grant him the power to do what was "necessary" instead of using reason and planing to avoid and to determine what to do if such a crisis were to happen if not avoidable. And in general that we should not defer to some authority like government or any other such organization and pretend that somehow the members of such are not subject to delusions and conflicts of interest like any other human on this world. The reason that I identify with the libertarian point of view is I do not trust my fellow man and I do not disclude any in a position of power or influence.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    That is the problem when you have people who use works righteous doctrine they do not feel they have to atone and act as bastards also. Some of the worst things were committed in human history were by those who were certain they were right and certain they would be well rewarded after they die.
    You have no idea! They would throw their trash on the ground, flip people off, cut people off.

    One time, one of them was blocking my driveway, and when I told him to move it, he actually flipped me off! Real God-like, right?

  5. #135
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, that depends. I've seen many people come and go out of church (and have known or know some personally as well) who seem to be under the mistaken impression that if they attend mass, then they have earned the keys to Heaven. However, it seems that outside of the church setting, they are kind of a-holes.
    Same with Muslims in Mosques here. Just because they go to Friday prayers they think they could be terrible people and care less. What? They think they have done their dues, earned heaven, now they plunge into insulting, ignorant, opinions and beliefs, the future is assured.

    Sometimes the more one wears Islamic symbols (i.e., Arab symbols like: beard, clothing, hat, etc) the worse the person hiding behind the religion is. Hence double the reason to keep away from them. Psychoanalytic Freudian reaction formation comes to mind.

    Not all are like that of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  6. #136
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Serious View Post
    First in science a Theory is considered proven and considered fact. The Theory of Evolution has been proved in many fields of Science such as molecular biology, immunology, demonstrated with single celled organisms and the adaptations they make, through computer simulations, though studies in micro evolution that occur in nature. For all intents and purposes wherever it has been proven it is considered fact.

    Second in no case can it be said that a theory is proven beyond a shadow of doubt since Science is not a religion and only the mad are ever absolutely certain. But scientist can be virtually certain that Relativity is true except in areas where Quantum Gravity would need to explain what is going on. Likewise the Theory of Evolution is true except in areas where a shift from one state (non living or chaotic) to a quite different state (living or ordered) occurs.
    You have not read the thread. The question is not "did living organisms change from very simple ones to more complex ones", the question is WHY did that series of changes occur? Was it just a series of accidents, or was an intellect guiding the process. In the physical world, I have never seen "nature" (or an accident if you will) create a little red wagon, or a model T, or a 787; intellect and a plan is required for these inanimate objects to be built. Why would it be different in the world of animate world? We can't explain how life is created from inanimate objects, but we believe life could progress and accidentally build a human being which is infinitely more complex than a 787, without a plan and without an intellect? That is what does not make sense to me. That leaves open the possibility of god, which the atheist seeks to deny.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Same with Muslims in Mosques here. Just because they go to Friday prayers they think they could be terrible people and care less. What? They think they have done their dues, earned heaven, now they plunge into insulting, ignorant, opinions and beliefs, the future is assured.

    Sometimes the more one wears Islamic symbols (i.e., Arab symbols like: beard, clothing, hat, etc) the worse the person hiding behind the religion is. Hence double the reason to keep away from them. Psychoanalytic Freudian reaction formation comes to mind.

    Not all are like that of course.
    Yes, they think because they go to church they get an automatic pass. I disagree. I think it is MUCH more important to do unto others. That, to me, is the most meaningful of ALL the commandments.

  8. #138
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, they think because they go to church they get an automatic pass. I disagree. I think it is MUCH more important to do unto others. That, to me, is the most meaningful of ALL the commandments.
    The "Do unto others" commandment can also be viewed differently (i.e., non religiously) though the function is the same. I think whatever you do you seem to attract either according issues with the person or according people overall. But this is due to similarities attract phenomenon. Thus choosing to speak as adults you will either attract the adult facets of the person, or (if it is hopeless) will attract other adults in the area to communicate in that manner with you because then you are similar.

    Similarities unlike magnets attract in people.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    The "Do unto others" commandment can also be viewed differently (i.e., non religiously) though the function is the same. I think whatever you do you seem to attract either according issues with the person or according people overall. But this is due to similarities attract phenomenon. Thus choosing to speak as adults you will either attract the adult facets of the person, or (if it is hopeless) will attract other adults in the area to communicate in that manner with you.
    Of course! I think the original intent of the commandments was to act as "laws" for people to follow, since there was no possible way to police all people back then. I imagine that murder, rape and plunder were very common occurrences, so they "scared" people into behaving themselves.

  10. #140
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course! I think the original intent of the commandments was to act as "laws" for people to follow, since there was no possible way to police all people back then. I imagine that murder, rape and plunder were very common occurrences, so they "scared" people into behaving themselves.
    Or this phenomenon of similarity was around long before that and people started attending to it and feel safe that others will as well by making them "laws" for the not as enlightened people.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •