View Poll Results: What is your religion?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian (Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, or other)

    64 42.11%
  • Agnostic

    24 15.79%
  • Atheist

    37 24.34%
  • Muslim (Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, or other)

    3 1.97%
  • Buddhist

    4 2.63%
  • Hindu

    1 0.66%
  • Jewish

    3 1.97%
  • Eastern Philosophy (Confucian, Taoist, Shinto, etc.)

    1 0.66%
  • Polytheist/Neo-pagan

    2 1.32%
  • Other

    13 8.55%
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 175

Thread: What is your religious denomination?

  1. #111
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    What is your religious denomination?You lose.
    Impressive

    It did took 82 minutes for a troll to be banned though? But I guess it is better than Hatuey's predicted 4032 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  2. #112
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Christian, off and on for about 14 years now, but the longer I go with it, the more comfortable I am in thinking of myself that way (I was raised by some pretty militant atheists) and the longer I do the more evidence I find that this is the correct choice (at least for me). I have to admit, I fought it for years though, because a large part of me needs evidence to believe in something and it took a while to build up sufficient evidence to satisfy that part of me (eventually I ran out of alternative explanations that made logical sense to me). But every time I gave up on the whole thing, I ended up back in for one reason or another.

    Whenever I get into a bind, for example, I find that God always steps in to save me, often in a profound (and very noticeable to me) way, which is what I see as that evidence. Heck something amazing happened even yesterday. Or I find that if I need to do something, I get slapped in the face with it over and over until I give up and do it (this has happened recently too)

    Beyond that, I can't say I do much in terms of the formal trappings of the religion, that aspect of it always annoyed me for some reason. Modern Churches are somewhat better, but what I wouldn't give for a Church that did heavy metal or something and attracted the type of people who listen to that type of music. My ex father in law preaches a biker Church, so heavy metal Church probably exists somewhere, hopefully.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 01-29-13 at 07:07 AM.

  3. #113
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Sometimes whatever you say they think their thoughts are being challenged. Like the other day I stated my position that it is highly unlikely that one will see the others while being dead and buried at the funerals (i.e., due to nerves that would allow the flow of information of others may be largely destroyed). Later I stated that Albanians were Orthodox and Catholic before the Ottoman Empire 500 year rule from 15th century and onwards. What I got back was "You will never make me lose my faith!"

    It is different if your opinion is warranted like on this forum for instance...but a totally different thing if there is no debate and an Atheist just attacks religion for no reason...I've seen it countless times.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  4. #114
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    It is different if your opinion is warranted like on this forum for instance...but a totally different thing if there is no debate and an Atheist just attacks religion for no reason...I've seen it countless times.
    Maybe due to interactions in real life with people such as those that I described do they find more freedom to express here.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  5. #115
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Jewish but not religious.

  6. #116
    Student Vapor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    150

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by karpenter View Post
    You Left Out Atheist
    And YES, Atheism Is A RELIGION
    And Your Above Paragraph Is Pompous Hog-Wash

    And So Are YOU
    Atheism is not a religion because it is unorganized, lacks any central texts, and, most important of all, lacks a belief in a supreme being or force.

    Atheism was included in the poll. I didn't mention it in my post because of the above reason, but I also did not specifically mention Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism, or countless other religions.

    Your three incomplete sentences are pompous, illiterate hogwash.

    And YOU are a much less kind word.

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Atheism isn't a religion, but it is a belief system (to a degree).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #118
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    I see religion as utilitarian rather than believing in much of any of it. I have a vague conception of God, probably holdovers from the Catholic background, but it's not a big part of my identity. I see it as a useful moral and ethical guide for individuals and society at large.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #119
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,820

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    What is your religious denomination?You lose.
    LOL! Perfect timing.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #120
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: What is your religious denomination?

    I'm Catholic. Former Baptist.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •