View Poll Results: Would it be worth it to save x lives annually

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1,000 lives

    0 0%
  • 10,000 lives

    0 0%
  • 100,000 lives

    0 0%
  • 1,000,000 lives

    0 0%
  • It wouldn't be worth it for any amount of lives.

    29 100.00%
  • Unsure/Some rights are worth giving away but not all.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Last Seen
    02-06-14 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56

    Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    I see a lot of people out there willing to give away their rights for safety, security, lives, whatever it may be. I see it now with the 2nd amendment, plenty are willing to hand away our right to bear arms or to at least give away part of that right so they can pretend 20 children wouldn't have been senselessly murdered. It's happened with our rights to property, privacy, travel etc... and it will continue to happen.

    So my question to you is this. Why don't we just skip all these childish steps, and just go all the way. I'm talking about living in a Orwellian society, straight out of 1984. I mean no rights, period. No privacy, no nothing.

    So.... what would be worth it to you to do so? OR are you a heartless bastard who doesn't care about the lives of others and it isn't worth it period?
    Last edited by ex99; 01-27-13 at 03:33 PM.
    "I would be pissed off but this new IPhone is ****ing awesome." Ali Newman

  2. #2
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    If I wish to live in any society at all, it would be in one where people are educated to the point they would not indulge in such silly rants based upon such an overreaction.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #3
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Quote Originally Posted by ex99 View Post
    I see a lot of people out there willing to give away their rights for safety, security, lives, whatever it may be. I see it now with the 2nd amendment, plenty are willing to hand away our right to bear arms or to at least give away part of that right so they can pretend 20 children wouldn't have been senselessly murdered. It's happened with our rights to property, privacy, travel etc... and it will continue to happen.

    So my question to you is this. Why don't we just skip all these childish steps, and just go all the way. I'm talking about living in a Orwellian society, straight out of 1984. I mean no rights, period. No privacy, no nothing.

    So.... what would be worth it to you to do so? OR are you a heartless bastard who doesn't care about the lives of others and it isn't worth it period?
    I read 1984 a long time before 1984 and thought that it would never happen. Easy to be wrong. It's like an insidious creep and seems to be coming to bear. If such governing would stop Global Warming and bring the world community together in a focused manner, it might be acceptable.

  4. #4
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I read 1984 a long time before 1984 and thought that it would never happen. Easy to be wrong. It's like an insidious creep and seems to be coming to bear. If such governing would stop Global Warming and bring the world community together in a focused manner, it might be acceptable.
    You see a global evil conspiracy and embrace it if it will serve you. Are you a Sith?

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,129

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?
    nah, dystopian societies always have death games, and i hate reality TV.

  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    nah, dystopian societies always have death games, and i hate reality TV.
    Good stuff, gotta like it again with a quote.

    'Cause you don't want crappy TV! Very nice.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    I'd live underground somehow, like in Demolition Man.

  8. #8
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Wait, I thought we've been living in an Orwelian society since 2003?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    The American Flag and ONE true Patriot make a majority - or rather, at least it seems that way these days...

    To answer the question posed by the OP - It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.

  10. #10
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Last Seen
    02-06-14 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56

    Re: Would you be willing to live in an Orwellian society?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    The American Flag and ONE true Patriot make a majority - or rather, at least it seems that way these days...

    To answer the question posed by the OP - It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees.
    Exactly the answer I was expecting and hoping for. So what I'm curious of is why ~50% of our nation is okay with the idea of giving away some of or part of our rights. You give them anything they are only going to ask for more and more. They have violated our rights time and time again. Why does the vast majority of society seem uncaring by the past let alone what's going on right in front of our eyes?
    "I would be pissed off but this new IPhone is ****ing awesome." Ali Newman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •