View Poll Results: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    60 78.95%
  • No

    3 3.95%
  • I don't know

    2 2.63%
  • I don't care

    11 14.47%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 218

Thread: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Si señor.
    There's no credible science to back the claims of instability in SS homes. And your opposition to the morality of homosexuality shouldn't have any bearing on how you see homosexuals as parents.

    Why then?

  2. #182
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    There's no credible science to back the claims of instability in SS homes. And your opposition to the morality of homosexuality shouldn't have any bearing on how you see homosexuals as parents.

    Why then?
    Yes, my opposition to the morality of homosexuality should have a bearing on how I see them as parents. If I believe something is immoral then obviously I shouldn't support anyone teaching kids that it's okay.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Yes, my opposition to the morality of homosexuality should have a bearing on how I see them as parents. If I believe something is immoral then obviously I shouldn't support anyone teaching kids that it's okay.
    By that logic you should oppose the parenthood of anyone believing in the morality of homosexuality.

  4. #184
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    People should ensure that they have a stable economic environment before having kids. Whether or not that includes marriage differs from person to person.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #185
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    People should ensure that they have a stable economic environment before having kids. Whether or not that includes marriage differs from person to person.
    There's more to growing up in a good situation than just economics, though. I think that children really need two parents.

  6. #186
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,131

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    I'm fine with premarital casual sex and whatnot, but birth control should be used.

    Do you know what the poverty rate in the US is for families that wait until marriage to have children and stay married? 2%.

    The poverty rate for the general population is 13%, more than six times as high. Plus, children that grow up in single parent households are much more likely to end up involved in criminal activity.

    I look down on people that have children outside of marriage. They are hurting their children, their families, themselves, and their country.

    Also I'm an atheist so religion has nothing to do with why I believe this.
    Is it the single-parent household that is causing the poverty, or the poverty that is causing the single-parent household? There isn't a clear cut answer to this question. It's simultaneously true that those born into poverty are more likely to have a teen pregnancy or a child out of wedlock, and also that those who have a child out of wedlock or in their teens have overall less earning potential during their lifetimes and are more likely to be in poverty for at least some of it.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  7. #187
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Shouldn't the question be, what do I do for humanity?
    "humanity" didn't baptise you. A representative of a Protestant church did. My point is not to start a holier than thou pissing match. I know that I am no holier than you. However, you argue that you should be able to demand services of a priest/church and have no obligation to serve that community that helped to provide that grace.

    As a point of order, priests are not solely granted rights to baptise. All that is needed is a Christian adult and water. There are lots of stories here in southern Louisiana of a devout Catholic grandmother baptising her grandchild while lapsed Catholic mom and dad who never bothered to get the kid baptised are off at the movies. So let's dispense with the whole priests-are-bad-guys-because-they-won't-baptise-kids-of-parents-who-have-no-intention-of-raising-the-child-Catholic meme. The ceremony of baptism is about welcoming a child into a community of the faithful. If you aren't willing to do that, then any Christian adult will do.

    Well, I don't have much free time but when I can (and have the funds), I donate money to the cancer fund as well as Shriners Hospital and a local animal shelter. Also, I TRY to be the best person I can be and treat everyone as well as I can (at least MOST of the time) among other little personal things. Also, around Thanksgiving time, I go with my aunt to the food pantry and help out doing whatever they need me to do (whether that be getting bags of groceries together, doing inventory, passing out bags of groceries to people, etc.)
    Do you go to church? I will assume the answer is no. Then why do you care who baptises you or your children? If church is irrelevant to you, then why is baptism SO VERY IMPORTANT....?!

    And what do YOU do?
    Not nearly enough.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  8. #188
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    If they followed Scripture, they wouldn't be baptizing any babies. But I digress....
    Some protestant churches feel that only adults can/should be baptised. The church has since its beginning has accepted infant baptism. It is adult only baptism that is the new/non-scriptural thing, not the other way around.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    "humanity" didn't baptise you. A representative of a Protestant church did. My point is not to start a holier than thou pissing match. I know that I am no holier than you. However, you argue that you should be able to demand services of a priest/church and have no obligation to serve that community that helped to provide that grace.

    As a point of order, priests are not solely granted rights to baptise. All that is needed is a Christian adult and water. There are lots of stories here in southern Louisiana of a devout Catholic grandmother baptising her grandchild while lapsed Catholic mom and dad who never bothered to get the kid baptised are off at the movies. So let's dispense with the whole priests-are-bad-guys-because-they-won't-baptise-kids-of-parents-who-have-no-intention-of-raising-the-child-Catholic meme. The ceremony of baptism is about welcoming a child into a community of the faithful. If you aren't willing to do that, then any Christian adult will do.



    Do you go to church? I will assume the answer is no. Then why do you care who baptises you or your children? If church is irrelevant to you, then why is baptism SO VERY IMPORTANT....?!



    Not nearly enough.
    No, the point I am trying to make is NOT that anyone owes anyone anything. My point is that it goes AGAINST the teachings of Christ for the Church to turn any children away and to deny them the process of cleansing original sin.

  10. #190
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Should people wait until marriage to have children?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Some protestant churches feel that only adults can/should be baptised. The church has since its beginning has accepted infant baptism. It is adult only baptism that is the new/non-scriptural thing, not the other way around.
    Infant baptism isn't in my Bible. Nowhere did Jesus speak of infant baptism. Nowhere did anyone perform infant baptism. Every baptism in the NT was adult baptism. Makes sense - only adults can choose to accept Christ and repent for their sins.


Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •