View Poll Results: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapons?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 7.56%
  • No

    109 91.60%
  • I don't know

    1 0.84%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 185

Thread: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapons?

  1. #161
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have no problem with bgc from licensed dealers

    on private sellers its a waste of time and the fiction of interstate commerce is even more a joke

    gun safety class-cannot find anything in the constitution that allows the fed government to impose that
    Then, if its not in our Constitution, the NRA should not bother with "gun safety"...
    Is that what you are trying say ???
    To use a scrap of paper designed and written three centuries ago is ludicrous....that , to a sane man, should be obvious.
    "bgc" = back ground check.......this must be from all dealers, or, all dealers must be state licensed, and this should also include all private transactions... as it does now for automotive transactions...

  2. #162
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post

    Here's what I would like to see at the federal level:

    A major crackdown on traffickers of illegal guns.
    Stricter punishments for any licensed dealer who does business out the backdoor or under the table.
    Facilitate more efficient sharing and updating of background information and trace data.
    Prosecute federal gun crimes.
    Plus, as part of the background checks, I'd like to see the semi-insane prohibited from gun ownership. "Privacy" , that, IMO, is used to disguise criminal activity.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I have no problem with bgc from licensed dealers

    on private sellers its a waste of time and the fiction of interstate commerce is even more a joke

    gun safety class-cannot find anything in the constitution that allows the fed government to impose that
    Nor is there anything in the constitution that limits the types of weapons allowed. That is an interpretation that has been made by the SCOTUS.

    What good does it do to require licensed gun dealers to do a background check, but not private sellers?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #164
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,624

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Then, if its not in our Constitution, the NRA should not bother with "gun safety"...
    Is that what you are trying say ???
    To use a scrap of paper designed and written three centuries ago is ludicrous....that , to a sane man, should be obvious.
    "bgc" = back ground check.......this must be from all dealers, or, all dealers must be state licensed, and this should also include all private transactions... as it does now for automotive transactions...
    I cannot help it if you don't respect the constitution.

    I don't need to be licensed to sell my car to someone

    and how are you going to enforce that

    do you anti gun types even apply the smallest iota of rational analysis to the crap you spew?



  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,624

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Nor is there anything in the constitution that limits the types of weapons allowed. That is an interpretation that has been made by the SCOTUS.

    What good does it do to require licensed gun dealers to do a background check, but not private sellers?
    ask congress-that is the law they passed 20 years ago

    but here is why

    1) dealers have a duty under the GCA of 68 to record all guns they receive and sell. One can argue since they clearly receive firearms in the course of interstate commerce this at least passes the FDR version of the commerce clause nexus test

    2) you can enforce this because dealers have to keep the 4473 for every retail transaction. If I am a ATF inspector I will know say how many firearms smith and wesson sent Joe's gun shop and he better have a record of each of them being received and if not still in inventory-the 4473 or FFL license of who he sold them to

    and that 4473 has to have a NICS confirmation number on it

    how are you going to enforce that if I sell a gun to my brother. I have no duty to record when I got the gun (yes it was before the new law was passed) or when I sold it (Yes, it was before the new law was passed)

    the only way to enforce that is to make all citizens keep the same records dealers do and make all citizens subject to surprise inspections



  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,624

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Plus, as part of the background checks, I'd like to see the semi-insane prohibited from gun ownership. "Privacy" , that, IMO, is used to disguise criminal activity.
    tell us what other rights you want to get rid of so you can feel better.

    semi insane in my book applies to anyone who thinks there should be no restrictions whatsoever on what can be told to the government by a Health care provider



  7. #167
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ask congress-that is the law they passed 20 years ago

    but here is why

    1) dealers have a duty under the GCA of 68 to record all guns they receive and sell. One can argue since they clearly receive firearms in the course of interstate commerce this at least passes the FDR version of the commerce clause nexus test

    2) you can enforce this because dealers have to keep the 4473 for every retail transaction. If I am a ATF inspector I will know say how many firearms smith and wesson sent Joe's gun shop and he better have a record of each of them being received and if not still in inventory-the 4473 or FFL license of who he sold them to

    and that 4473 has to have a NICS confirmation number on it

    how are you going to enforce that if I sell a gun to my brother. I have no duty to record when I got the gun (yes it was before the new law was passed) or when I sold it (Yes, it was before the new law was passed)

    the only way to enforce that is to make all citizens keep the same records dealers do and make all citizens subject to surprise inspections
    I suppose you have a point there regarding private arms sales.

    Now, if you sell a gun to Snake, who uses it to commit an armed robbery, and if he shoots Joe Citizen in the process, can Joe sue you for having provided Snake with the weapon?

    It would seem that registering guns would protect the seller, much as sending the record of sale of a motor vehicle protects the seller from the buyer's acts.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Plus, as part of the background checks, I'd like to see the semi-insane prohibited from gun ownership. "Privacy" , that, IMO, is used to disguise criminal activity.
    How exactly do you define "semi-insane"?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #169
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,624

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I suppose you have a point there regarding private arms sales.

    Now, if you sell a gun to Snake, who uses it to commit an armed robbery, and if he shoots Joe Citizen in the process, can Joe sue you for having provided Snake with the weapon?

    It would seem that registering guns would protect the seller, much as sending the record of sale of a motor vehicle protects the seller from the buyer's acts.
    1) that is a good point which is why I only sell through a dealer or to people I know have CCW permits
    2) if I were to sell to someone I don't know I would request to see both a drivers' license (to make sure they live in ohio and are old enough) and that they have a CCW or if I saw them complete a 4473 and pass a background check



  10. #170
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,624

    Re: Would you like to see the govt confiscate legally obtained/owned "assault" weapon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I suppose you have a point there regarding private arms sales.

    Now, if you sell a gun to Snake, who uses it to commit an armed robbery, and if he shoots Joe Citizen in the process, can Joe sue you for having provided Snake with the weapon?

    It would seem that registering guns would protect the seller, much as sending the record of sale of a motor vehicle protects the seller from the buyer's acts.
    Joe cannot sue me SUCCESSFULLY if I had no reasonable belief that snake had a record etc

    If I ascertained that Snake had a CCW or if I saw him buy a weapon from a dealer after the dealer called NICS then I would be safe.

    If however, I personally knew that Snake was a felon or under indictment, I'd be toast as well as be in violation of federal law



Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •