View Poll Results: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 68.87%
  • No

    33 31.13%
Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 628

Thread: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?[W:57]

  1. #401
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    If they were the ones doing that, there would hardly be any women in the army at all. What you see now is the result of other people evaluating those standards for them.
    While they do likely suffer from group think, they are capable of accomplishing the task. And just as I do here, as a control measure, they can bring other vices to the table. You guys seem to be painting a very poor picture of the military. I did not expect that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #402
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Evaluate the standards themselves. Do they measure what is really needed.
    Show me ANY evidence that is, in fact, what is going on. BTW, that was #1. Please try to keep the reply based upon the post quoted. Thank you.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #403
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Show me ANY evidence that is, in fact, what is going on. BTW, that was #1. Please try to keep the reply based upon the post quoted. Thank you.
    I would if in the post quoted I said that was what was going on. I haven't said that. I have said is what they should do.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #404
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I would if in the post quoted I said that was what was going on. I haven't said that. I have said is what they should do.
    Whatever. The fact of the matter is that they are not, so if wishes were fishes....
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #405
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Whatever. The fact of the matter is that they are not, so if wishes were fishes....
    Look, I was addressing someone else who claimed the standards were valid because they had been the same for a long, long time. This is the debate we were having. I think they need to be reevaluated.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #406
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Look, I was addressing someone else who claimed the standards were valid because they had been the same for a long, long time. This is the debate we were having. I think they need to be reevaluated.
    We had separate but equal for a long, long time too, yet seemed to have not learned that lesson well either. We still have separate but unequal and that seems to be just peachy with those "equal rights for women" folks, that now want even more "unequal opportunity". It is absolutely insane to have different "minimum" requirements based on gender, race or anything else for a US gov't job. Imagine the outrage if a private company did that, the EEOC would have them in irons.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #407
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    We had separate but equal for a long, long time too, yet seemed to have not learned that lesson well either. We still have separate but unequal and that seems to be just peachy with those "equal rights for women" folks, that now want even more "unequal opportunity". It is absolutely insane to have different "minimum" requirements based on gender, race or anything else for a US gov't job. Imagine the outrage if a private company did that, the EEOC would have them in irons.
    You're helping me out.

    Continued reassessment is good policy. It isn't ever over.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #408
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because it is not the only thing. Repetition helps, especially in learning rote habits, but is not good for evaluating. If you are repetitions the least effect thing, that's a bad strategy.
    Not the habits, but the best of the best.

    For instance, the woman from the article was one of the most qualified possible women to enter the infantry. And it broke down her body and she became infertile because of it.


    Maybe this will put into perspective for you. She was a star college hockey player, and one of the strongest and top performing women of her academy. She says she could bench press 145 pounds and squat 200. Mind you, this is a women who probably trained for 5-6 hours a day. It too me two months in the 8th grade of 4 hours a week of weight training to reach 145 pound bench and 200 pound squat. The difference is testosterone, I have it, she doesn't.

  9. #409
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Not the habits, but the best of the best.

    For instance, the woman from the article was one of the most qualified possible women to enter the infantry. And it broke down her body and she became infertile because of it.


    Maybe this will put into perspective for you. She was a star college hockey player, and one of the strongest and top performing women of her academy. She says she could bench press 145 pounds and squat 200. Mind you, this is a women who probably trained for 5-6 hours a day. It too me two months in the 8th grade of 4 hours a week of weight training to reach 145 pound bench and 200 pound squat. The difference is testosterone, I have it, she doesn't.
    She was better qualified by what standard?

    I'm a big fellow, strong. Even I fifty four, I bench 200 lbs. there were things I had difficulty with. I found that even for me, there were men too heavy to lift. I needed more than strength. I learned the ability to solve a problem was better than being strong. I question the entire notion that physical strength is the appropriate standard.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    She was better qualified by what standard?

    I'm a big fellow, strong. Even I fifty four, I bench 200 lbs. there were things I had difficulty with. I found that even for me, there were men too heavy to lift. I needed more than strength. I learned the ability to solve a problem was better than being strong. I question the entire notion that physical strength is the appropriate standard.
    She was better qualified by the standard the armed forces feels best prepares its soldiers. If you think you have a better standard, feel free to share with us. But simply saying "oh I'm sure there is a better one" is useless. I'm sure anything could be just alittle better. But considering what the stakes are, the army can't afford to be too far off what is the "perfect standard" whatever that may be. Too much is at stake. It's easy for you to say, "oh lets construct a new standard" when you have no idea what the requirements are in combat. You have no idea if our standards are even bad. Yet you want us to "rethink our standards" considering the input of "all affected parties." Basically, what you are saying is taking a bunch of non-armed forces activist groups and intellectuals, and saying that they know better for the army then the actual armed forces do. Until you start providing evidence, for what you would improve, and how you would improve it, your vague statements have absolutely zero value. Of course we should constantly rethink our standards. But you are making a faulty assumption that the armed services doesn't rethink theirs on their own and someone else needs to come in and do it for them.

    You need enough strength to get the job done, which in the army is a lot more then you think. There is a reason there are standards, because that is the amount of strength/conditioning that the army sees you as needing to do the job efficiently. More then 90% of women just don't have enough to be even close. Which is why they have gender based standards.

    I'll repeat again, the armed forces is a matter of life and death. It is no place for social experiments imposed by feminists and ivory tower intellectuals. The standards are there for a reason. Women don't meet those standards. I believe the sexes are equal, and women are better then men in many other aspects, but fitness and physical performance isn't one of them. There are currently positions where the standards are obtainable for women. And hey, if every now and then a woman comes along who can keep up with the male standards for the army, great. But, I don't want to hear any of this having it both ways, "we are all created equal so both men and women should be allowed to fight in the armed forces, oh but lets have two separate standards for them."
    Last edited by ReformCollege; 01-27-13 at 12:26 AM.

Page 41 of 63 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •