View Poll Results: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 68.87%
  • No

    33 31.13%
Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 628

Thread: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?[W:57]

  1. #361
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Really, that's not what I said, but what I did say is that we should constantly question the criteria fir a teacher, at all levels, in an effort to improve.
    That is not what was done at all and you know it. What was done is to establish two sets of "minimum" standards for EXACTLY the same job, one for males and another for females, each "normed" to reflect "averages" for that gender. If the same were done based on height, eye color or race an uproar would ensue. Imagine if multiple sets of standards for teachers were adopted for asians, whites, hispanics and blacks with each "normed" for their respective average SAT scoring differences. Either running 3 miles in 13 minutes is, or is not required, but to say that some (males) must do so yet others (females) may do that same run 2 minutes slower and still "qualify" is rediculous.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #362
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    How do you define improvement in measuring criteria? It sounds more like you are saying "these criteria aren't benefiting the people we want them to benefit, so lets lower them."
    No, I'm sting they may not measure what they claim to measure.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Yeah, I'm just a dolt.
    Didn't say that. Not at all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #364
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Didn't say that. Not at all.
    You're discounting my opinion on some kind of "not thinking" basis.

  5. #365
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I'd agree with you that this is true, but it shouldn't be true. Teachers shouldn't be teaching to the test, because students who are taught to the test don't usually do well on the test. I probably spent less then 1% of my school time working on standardized testing material, yet always knocked them out of the park. Then you have students who are in remedial everything and do nothing but learn the test, and they really are missing what they are supposed to be learning.
    Who said anything about teaching to the test?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #366
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is not what was done at all and you know it. What was done is to establish two sets of "minimum" standards for EXACTLY the same job, one for males and another for females, each "normed" to reflect "averages" for that gender. If the same were done based on height, eye color or race an uproar would ensue. Imagine if multiple sets of standards for teachers were adopted for asians, whites, hispanics and blacks with each "normed" for their respective average SAT scoring differences. Either running 3 miles in 13 minutes is, or is not required, but to say that some (males) must do so yet others (females) may do that same run 2 minutes slower and still "qualify" is rediculous.
    I thought you were talking to me about what I said. I'm proposing that the criteria be reevaluated. Not to make easier, but to assure it is the correct standard.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #367
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You're discounting my opinion on some kind of "not thinking" basis.
    No, I'm trying to explain why I disagree.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #368
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I'm trying to explain why I disagree.
    Look, tomorrow is great and I'm sure the infantry will have jet packs and cyborg gear. But today is today and stuff weighs.

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, I'm sting they may not measure what they claim to measure.
    Hopefully that's what they would be saying too. But my experience has taught me to assume that usually the ones who would be making the new criteria are usually just as misguided as the ones who made the old criteria.

  10. #370
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Do you really think women in the Military want to risk their lives in combat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I thought you were talking to me about what I said. I'm proposing that the criteria be reevaluated. Not to make easier, but to assure it is the correct standard.
    What are you talking about? The discussion is OBVIOUSLY about keeping the separate and UNEQUAL gender based, standards, but seeing if they could be extended to more (combat) positions. Surely we are not talking about special forces, simply the average infantry type of combat positions. The military is not at all likely to reduce the current male standards or to eject all of the females that cannot meet them (90%+). What do you think is going on?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 37 of 63 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •