View Poll Results: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 60.71%
  • No

    4 14.29%
  • Maybe, see my points below

    4 14.29%
  • Who cares option

    3 10.71%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 97

Thread: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

  1. #1
    Student BigRedChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my mind
    Last Seen
    07-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    200

    Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Several battleground states have Republican parties firmly in control of the state congress's are deciding, proposing legislation to not award all the EC votes to the winner but by congressional district.

    The issues that I see with this new development

    • Gerrymandering of districts has made a mockery of fairness in the states.
    • Will create a constitutional crisis at some point and violence in the streets.



    How would this effect the election? I'll let someone else post all the numbers. But, here's an example from what the Republican senate did in Virgina. Obama won the election in the state, But due to gerrymandering, Romeny would have been given 9 EC votes and Obama 4 EC votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The constitution says corporations have some of the same rights as "persons".

  2. #2
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    You mean like they did with Allen West in Florida?

  3. #3
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    This is a step toward direct elections. I thought democrats wanted that. I guess only in the states where it would benefit them. Next thing you know they will be complaining about the republicans redrawing all those snaking congressional districts the democrats drew last time.

  4. #4
    Student BigRedChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my mind
    Last Seen
    07-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    200

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    This is a step toward direct elections. I thought democrats wanted that. I guess only in the states where it would benefit them. Next thing you know they will be complaining about the republicans redrawing all those snaking congressional districts the democrats drew last time.
    BS gerrymandering knows no party lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The constitution says corporations have some of the same rights as "persons".

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,579
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    This is a step toward direct elections. I thought democrats wanted that. I guess only in the states where it would benefit them. Next thing you know they will be complaining about the republicans redrawing all those snaking congressional districts the democrats drew last time.
    Well, except that it would be nothing like direct elections.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, except that it would be nothing like direct elections.
    Sure it would, each CD is supposed to be close to the same size population wise except those couple really sparse states like wyoming. It is a closer step than winner take all based on a bigger chunk of geography we call a state.

  7. #7
    Student BigRedChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my mind
    Last Seen
    07-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    200

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    I'm not a constitutional lawyer or play one on TV so help a laymen on what the law says on this subject.

    Would this even be constitutional? Hold up in the SCOTUS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The constitution says corporations have some of the same rights as "persons".

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,579
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Sure it would, each CD is supposed to be close to the same size population wise except those couple really sparse states like wyoming. It is a closer step than winner take all based on a bigger chunk of geography we call a state.
    No. Direct elections: voting directly for president. This is not that.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,329

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
    Several battleground states have Republican parties firmly in control of the state congress's are deciding, proposing legislation to not award all the EC votes to the winner but by congressional district.

    The issues that I see with this new development

    • Gerrymandering of districts has made a mockery of fairness in the states.
    • Will create a constitutional crisis at some point and violence in the streets.



    How would this effect the election? I'll let someone else post all the numbers. But, here's an example from what the Republican senate did in Virgina. Obama won the election in the state, But due to gerrymandering, Romeny would have been given 9 EC votes and Obama 4 EC votes.
    Yes, if this scenario was enacted nationally Romney would have won the Presidential election. This is probably also being done for political reasons. I also don't support this type of proposal, because rather than having the arbitrary state lines we have now, presidential elections would be decided based on the gerrymandering of the districts for the next decade by whichever party is in power after the census year elections. I don't think it's in the interest of fair elections, and I don't even think this is a smart political move by Republicans.

    However, the idea that it is just Republicans who try and attempt to use these types of election tricks is ludicrous. Democrats gerrymander just as much as Republicans when given the opportunity, and although it is just speculation, I would guess they would be attempting the same type of thing if they thought they could control the state legislatures as well as the Republicans can for the near future.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,329

    Re: Are the Republicans trying to rig a presidential election?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
    I'm not a constitutional lawyer or play one on TV so help a laymen on what the law says on this subject.

    Would this even be constitutional? Hold up in the SCOTUS?
    It seems to perfectly legal. Presidential electors are determined by the laws of each individual state. In fact, Nebraska and Maine already have this system.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •