View Poll Results: Do we need anti-discrimination laws?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    34 72.34%
  • No

    13 27.66%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 163

Thread: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

  1. #71
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, because provisions in contracts can't violate rights. Try harder.
    It is not a "right" to operate a business in any specific jurisdiction without government aproval. So no.

    As an example zoning laws are not unconstitutional. You cannot open a store in a residential area etc.

    And yes contracts can trump rights. The contract I signed on joining the military I gave up certain rights and was then considered under the UCOMJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You are a bigot if you set a price on your property and then refuse to sell it at full price to someone because of their race.
    And that would correct. Your point is?

  3. #73
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Yes, because provisions in contracts can't violate rights. Try harder.
    Black Mantra's answer is spot on. If it's your private home? You can decide not to let anyone in your home or on your property for whatever reason, their color and race included. Once you become a public venue? You will adhere to The Civil Rights Act or suffer the rather uncomfortable consequences. If you don't get that -- and the reason for that -- you need to try harder.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #74
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We are a better nation for The Civil Rights Act. It's a shame that people have to be forced to do the right thing. But such is life.
    Agreed, however, I don't believe the private property thing was part of the Civil Rights Act, but was adjudicated in later on. I know for a fact that private golf courses were allowed to discriminate until recently.They may have given that up under public pressure rather than from government regulation.

  5. #75
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And that would correct. Your point is?
    You know, this conversation is like having an argument with someone on why it's okay to beat your wife. It's against the law. Until the law changes, The Civil Rights Act trumps property rights. Period. Much the same as our right to assemble is trumped by laws that require permits.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    It is not a "right" to operate a business in any specific jurisdiction without government aproval. So no.
    You know, telling people what they can and can't do with their property is a violation unless the action itself is violating the rights of someone else. I don't see how your example qualifies.

  7. #77
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You know, telling people what they can and can't do with their property is a violation unless the action itself is violating the rights of someone else. I don't see how your example qualifies.
    Then you mite want to look up zoning laws. I am not going to sit here and explain the basic concept that everyone pretty much knows.

    Nice try though.

    Wonderful how you cut out my examples. I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #78
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Agreed, however, I don't believe the private property thing was part of the Civil Rights Act, but was adjudicated in later on. I know for a fact that private golf courses were allowed to discriminate until recently.They may have given that up under public pressure rather than from government regulation.
    The private property thing was a part of the CRA initially, but it was challenged and adjudicated in various contexts over the course of the next decade or so. If I'm remembering correctly, things like private golf courses got (and continue to get) around that problem by not being open to the public. A country club (e.g.) requires membership, and can therefore be as discriminatory as it wants. Those that have changed their tune have indeed done so due to public pressure, rather than governmental involvement. Hell, Augusta (probably the most prestigious private golf course in the country) invited its first female members to join like a year ago.

  9. #79
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sorry, but The Civil Rights Act says it's against the law. If my opinion, that of SCOTUS, and the majority of people in this country is ridiculous? I'll gladly take that label. Bigotry and racism comes in many forms. Yours is but one.
    No, your BEHAVIOR was ridiculous and uncalled for flaming because of your post's content.

    You have continued to be not only ridiculous this time, but you have now crossed the line.

    Perhaps *you* are the closed-minded bigot, blindly accusing others of racism because they disagree with you politically.

    At no point has anyone in this thread advocated for discrimination or promoted racism.

    I doubt very much if that will change. I do fear that this discussion is generally impossible because of people who behave like you, accusing others of racism out of turn.

    Thankfully there are people like me who are not cowed by those who frivolously play the race card...

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You know, this conversation is like having an argument with someone on why it's okay to beat your wife. It's against the law. Until the law changes, The Civil Rights Act trumps property rights. Period. Much the same as our right to assemble is trumped by laws that require permits.
    No, this discussion is entirely different than one on beating your wife. This premise of laws trumping rights is a faulty one and there is no reason what so ever I should humor it, so consider the rest of your post rejected.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •