View Poll Results: Do we need anti-discrimination laws?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    34 72.34%
  • No

    13 27.66%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 163

Thread: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

  1. #21
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Really good point. If by some miracle murder instantly stopped, that's no reason to say "Okay, murder just isn't happening anymore so lets repeal the law against it and make murder legal."
    Thats because it would be irrational and illogical.

    also people dont seem to actually understand AA/EO it doesnt give anybody special treatment, by law it demands equal opportunity and theres nothing unconstitutional about that. It IS the constitution lol
    Last edited by AGENT J; 01-22-13 at 12:44 PM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #22
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Its rather simple, discrimination in the workplace based on race has serious negative consequences to society and the individual that are equal to other illegal activities. The arguments against getting of discrimination laws are completely ridiculous. "The law is working to well and nobody discriminates anymore, lets get rid of it" is absurd considering as the premise is false and the conclusion asinine. A law the sufficiently deters criminal behavior is exactly the kind of law that should be kept around, not eliminated.

  3. #23
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    "The law is working to well and nobody discriminates anymore, lets get rid of it" is absurd
    Yes, that straw man is absurd.

    However, "the law serves no utility whatsoever in the modern day (and was never justified to boot)" is not absurd, and that's the actual argument.

  4. #24
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    I think society has changed a lot since the 1960's.

    For one, the law has changed. Government's cannot force businesses to discriminate who they serve anymore. No more Jim Crow.

    We never really got to see whether businesses would discriminate if given the freedom to do so, they were told they had to and then told they can't. Both dictates are harmful I would argue, the first being obviously much worse than the second.

    Both profit motive and business image are good reasons why a business wouldn't discriminate. Any discrimination would likely be a statistical anomaly. A low percentage of people are truly racist in this country, an even fewer percentage of racist business owners, and even a fewer percentage of racist business owners who would take the risk to discriminate. And society continues to progress every day.

    The problem with anti discrimination laws is that they actually lead to minorities being treated differently. That only delays progress for equality in society. Another problem is that anti discrimination lawsuits are hard to defend against, and morally bankrupt our legal system.

    Do we really need laws against discrimination by businesses in 2013?
    Yes, we do.

    Denny's, a national restaurant chain, agreed today to pay more than $54 million to settle lawsuits filed by thousands of black customers who had been refused service or had been forced to wait longer or pay more than white customers.

    The new head of the civil rights division of the Justice Department, Deval L. Patrick, said it was the largest and broadest settlement under the Federal public-accommodation laws. Those laws were adopted more than 30 years ago to end segregation in restaurants and other places that serve the public.
    Denny's Restaurants to Pay $54 Million in Race Bias Suits - New York Times
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #25
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,339
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    and was never justified to boot
    Please explain.

  6. #26
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Please explain.
    Article I, Section 8.

    Title II of CRA 1964 has no basis within the powers of Congress. You can like the policy all you want; you just can't pretend it was ever within Congress's authority.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    There is an argument that people who fall into protected classes do not get hired sometimes because of the fear of a lawsuit because they are in a protected class. It cuts both ways, but on balance, I think we still need some of the laws, particularly in housing.

  8. #28
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    There is an argument that people who fall into protected classes do not get hired sometimes because of the fear of a lawsuit because they are in a protected class. It cuts both ways, but on balance, I think we still need some of the laws, particularly in housing.
    Particularly in real estate. I agree. It's a small percentage of property owners, but discrimination is definitely out there. One client refused to sign a full price offer on his home because the couple buying it were mixed race: one black/one white. (He eventually signed when I explained to him (via his wife, because he wouldn't speak to me...jerk) that HUD would own his home, his business, his bank accounts and his underwear. Another guy told me he wasn't going to sell his home to a black family because he liked his neighbors too much. Also had a come-to-Jesus conversation with him. Idiots are still among us.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #29
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,831

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Its rather simple, discrimination in the workplace based on race has serious negative consequences to society and the individual that are equal to other illegal activities. The arguments against getting of discrimination laws are completely ridiculous. "The law is working to well and nobody discriminates anymore, lets get rid of it" is absurd considering as the premise is false and the conclusion asinine. A law the sufficiently deters criminal behavior is exactly the kind of law that should be kept around, not eliminated.

    exactly and the fact that discrimination is still happening today against all races, genders, religions, sexualities makes it basic common sense to keep the laws/rights. Why anybody wouldnt want themselves and fellow americans protected is beyond me then again, theres many people that simply dont respect the rights, and freedoms of their neighbors.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #30
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: Would businesses discriminate today? Are laws against discrimination necessary?[W:83]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Article I, Section 8.

    Title II of CRA 1964 has no basis within the powers of Congress. You can like the policy all you want; you just can't pretend it was ever within Congress's authority.
    This crap again? When are you going to stop pretending you know anything at all about the constitution? As I've pionted out to you several times now, your reading of Article 1 Section 8 is strikingly at odds with the judicial history of that clause. Put simply, you have no earthly idea what you are talking about, and every court in the US would agree with me about that fairly obvious fact.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •