View Poll Results: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 20.45%
  • No

    35 79.55%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 99

Thread: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

  1. #71
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And these ignorant people will pay attention now?
    More than you think, yes. Many folks need it to be framed, hence the concerns about "what are you doing for your second term?" during the campaign. It will dominate the news cycle for a while now.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,936

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That doesn't mean that huge parties on the public dime isn't a staple of royalty.
    The founders, indulged in a staple of royalty? Who knew?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    The founders, indulged in a staple of royalty? Who knew?
    Everyone?

  4. #74
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Now, when people say we should do away with inauguration ceremonies, they are only talking the uppity ones, right?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #75
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Now, when people say we should do away with inauguration ceremonies, they are only talking the uppity ones, right?
    Cities should bid for them like the Olympics.

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,936

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    It's a tradition that we as a nation should keep. It's a tradition the represent that our democracy works (regardless of your man won or not) and shows that power can be passed peacefully from one administration to another.
    It is important for what it represents and that should be affirmed each time it occurs.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    it has been an interesting thread to read. you can pretty much tell which posters voted for the other guy...

    I marvel at the angry old white guys contingent. First they whine because 'immigrants' (that would be the ones not from Northern Europe) are not adopting the 'culture' of our nation. And now they attempt to mock someone they see as doing just that! Then they wonder why they are marginalized and ignored????

    Now the re-election Inauguration IS smaller than the first one. The first crowd was the biggest ever on the Mall, this one the 4th largest. Instead of 11 balls I heard there will be 2.

    Those who claim to be so jaded with the Inauguration and its pomp and circumstance forget who is doing it, and how many times it has been done.

    If you can put aside your political bitterness you have to admit a few facts. This is the Greatest Nation on the planet officially swearing in its leader. The Leader of the Free World. The Leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. Try and let that percolate passed the political bias.

    This event has happened under 60 times since George Washington. 60 times the Presidency has passed PEACEFULLY in a nation that rose from backwater to global superpower. This isn't just for us, it showcases the nation and it's government to the world.

    I can see how some don't like to celebrate, I don't do New Years, but I'd say those are a very few when it comes to the Presidency. Would be nice to archive this thread in a real handy place for when the 'other guy' wins and has his ceremony...

  8. #78
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,936

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Everyone?
    Those founders who put on Washington's inaugural ceremony and the balls that followed the night after? If some of them didn't participate, it doesn't matter. Washington set the mark and it's been followed since.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Leader of the Free World. The Leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. Try and let that percolate passed the political bias.

    This event has happened under 60 times since George Washington. 60 times the Presidency has passed PEACEFULLY in a nation that rose from backwater to global superpower. This isn't just for us, it showcases the nation and it's government to the world.

    I can see how some don't like to celebrate, I don't do New Years, but I'd say those are a very few when it comes to the Presidency. Would be nice to archive this thread in a real handy place for when the 'other guy' wins and has his ceremony...
    First off, I know people like this "leader of the free world" nonsense, but it's nonsense. The President of the United States is just that, President of the United States. Congress is to have more power than the President, so the President isn't even the most powerful politician in America, let alone the world. He hold no responsibility nor duty to the rest of the world. Not Leader of the Free World but rather Executive of the US Government. That's it.

    Peaceful transfer of power is great, a truly ground breaking ideal at the time. But that's also part of it is this powerful notion of not having a sovereign. The government serves the People, not the other way around. If you want to talk about a showcase of America and what we do and what we believe in, our continued military intervention in the world for decades speaks louder than our President being sworn it.

    President is not King and we shouldn't treat him as one. The fanfare we seemingly have over this is reminiscent of England's fawning over their royalty. President is just a dude, another American ideal.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,936

    Re: Do Away with the Inauguration Ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    it has been an interesting thread to read. you can pretty much tell which posters voted for the other guy...

    I marvel at the angry old white guys contingent. First they whine because 'immigrants' (that would be the ones not from Northern Europe) are not adopting the 'culture' of our nation. And now they attempt to mock someone they see as doing just that! Then they wonder why they are marginalized and ignored????

    Now the re-election Inauguration IS smaller than the first one. The first crowd was the biggest ever on the Mall, this one the 4th largest. Instead of 11 balls I heard there will be 2.

    Those who claim to be so jaded with the Inauguration and its pomp and circumstance forget who is doing it, and how many times it has been done.

    If you can put aside your political bitterness you have to admit a few facts. This is the Greatest Nation on the planet officially swearing in its leader. The Leader of the Free World. The Leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. Try and let that percolate passed the political bias.

    This event has happened under 60 times since George Washington. 60 times the Presidency has passed PEACEFULLY in a nation that rose from backwater to global superpower. This isn't just for us, it showcases the nation and it's government to the world.

    I can see how some don't like to celebrate, I don't do New Years, but I'd say those are a very few when it comes to the Presidency. Would be nice to archive this thread in a real handy place for when the 'other guy' wins and has his ceremony...
    Very well said and I like how you put it into the various contexts and underscore what differentiated our country at its founding and just why it should be celebrated every time it occurs.

    Yes, it the next time the presidency changes parties.
    Last edited by Gina; 01-21-13 at 03:36 PM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •