View Poll Results: Do you support defined term limits?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 56.60%
  • No

    21 39.62%
  • Don't care

    1 1.89%
  • other - please explain

    1 1.89%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 103

Thread: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

  1. #81
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,048

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Simple enough to do. Vote the bastards out. If 75 % of the people support term limits how is it the toss pots continue to get re-elected?










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  2. #82
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't think there should be campaign contributions allowed at all. I think each candidate should be given an advertisement/campaigning voucher. The payment to say, the TV channel for the ad, would be a tax break for the amount.

    It should also be illegal for them to make a single cent more than their paycheck while in office.

    That way every candidate is on equal footing, lobbying is neutered, and it's not just the rich who can run for office.
    Would you prohibit people from spending their own money? It does give an advantage to "the rich", but I would not prohibit that.

    I am fine with individual people (living breathing human entities) contributing, but if it were my way there would be restrictions: 1) Must live in same district, i.e. a person living in Texas could not give to a candidate in Florida. They could only give to candidates that will be on their general election ballot. 2) Full and immediate public disclosure, listing name and amount. This is public office, and should be 100% public. No privacy concerns. You want privacy? Keep your money to yourself then.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  3. #83
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    15,215

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Would you prohibit people from spending their own money? It does give an advantage to "the rich", but I would not prohibit that.

    I am fine with individual people (living breathing human entities) contributing, but if it were my way there would be restrictions: 1) Must live in same district, i.e. a person living in Texas could not give to a candidate in Florida. They could only give to candidates that will be on their general election ballot. 2) Full and immediate public disclosure, listing name and amount. This is public office, and should be 100% public. No privacy concerns. You want privacy? Keep your money to yourself then.
    Yes, I would. A candidate would not be able to advertise or campaign past the amount of his voucher. This would also be a pretty good test of their fiscal responsibility, and who can stretch their funds to do more.

    You say you want people to be able to donate, but not companies. So why can't a company just give the money to a person so that person can donate it? We need to get money out of our politics period.

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Yes, I would. A candidate would not be able to advertise or campaign past the amount of his voucher. This would also be a pretty good test of their fiscal responsibility, and who can stretch their funds to do more.

    You say you want people to be able to donate, but not companies. So why can't a company just give the money to a person so that person can donate it? We need to get money out of our politics period.
    They could. There is no panacea in any proposal. Each one will have pros and cons. As long as humans have existed humans have attempted to skirt the rules and laws. The only thing you can do is make that illegal, make the top people directly criminally responsible, then actually enforce it if/when it does happen.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Simple enough to do. Vote the bastards out. If 75 % of the people support term limits how is it the toss pots continue to get re-elected?
    Low interest in primaries coupled with a very large percentage of the population that won't vote for the other party.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #86
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    03-28-18 @ 07:32 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,817

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Low interest in primaries coupled with a very large percentage of the population that won't vote for the other party.
    Then we get what we deserve.
    Roy L. Fuchs: I'll tell you something. This country is going to the dogs.
    You know, it used to be when you bought a politician, that son of a bitch stayed bought.

  7. #87
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    15,215

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    They could. There is no panacea in any proposal. Each one will have pros and cons. As long as humans have existed humans have attempted to skirt the rules and laws. The only thing you can do is make that illegal, make the top people directly criminally responsible, then actually enforce it if/when it does happen.
    What the hell does transparency matter if candidate A had Warren Buffet give him 100 million, and candidate B had Bill Gates give him 100 million? Either way, both candidates are now in their pockets.

    I personally don't like my politicians to be bought, but to each his own.

  8. #88
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,028

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    I'm a pessimist on this particular matter. I observe that our Congress is nearly totally corrupt, in other words, bought and sold. It takes some time to set up and make functional channels of bribery, blackmail, coercion, charitable contributions, etc. and those are the funding sources for our Senators and Legislators. Even an honest politician probably succumbs after a few years just due to his proximity to the constant temptation. One term anything is a solution. The bribers and manipulators have to start all over again to get their Congressman in their pocket. It is the initial inertia in any endeavor that is difficult to overcome. We put the crooks back at step one at every election. Of course, if, like currently, we don't prosecute the ones that are caught, "too big to prosecute," like banks and "too big to fail," then our system of justice is a failed system. Couple that with torture, electronic eavesdropping, constant war as good business, Military Justice for renditioned (kidnapped), tortured inmates at Guantanamo, judicial harrassment of journalists (Julian Assange), ad infinitum and it is a serious indictment of the status quo. It's past time to do something!

  9. #89
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,048

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    I almost always vote against the incumbent. I'm registered Independent and I pretty much vote that way.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  10. #90
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,048

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I'm a pessimist on this particular matter. I observe that our Congress is nearly totally corrupt, in other words, bought and sold. It takes some time to set up and make functional channels of bribery, blackmail, coercion, charitable contributions, etc. and those are the funding sources for our Senators and Legislators. Even an honest politician probably succumbs after a few years just due to his proximity to the constant temptation. One term anything is a solution. The bribers and manipulators have to start all over again to get their Congressman in their pocket. It is the initial inertia in any endeavor that is difficult to overcome. We put the crooks back at step one at every election. Of course, if, like currently, we don't prosecute the ones that are caught, "too big to prosecute," like banks and "too big to fail," then our system of justice is a failed system. Couple that with torture, electronic eavesdropping, constant war as good business, Military Justice for renditioned (kidnapped), tortured inmates at Guantanamo, judicial harrassment of journalists (Julian Assange), ad infinitum and it is a serious indictment of the status quo. It's past time to do something!
    Well said, Dave. Basically, if elected officials aren't whores they soon become whores. The system is FUBARed and the system damn sure isn't going to fix the system.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •