View Poll Results: Do you support defined term limits?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 56.60%
  • No

    21 39.62%
  • Don't care

    1 1.89%
  • other - please explain

    1 1.89%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103

Thread: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

  1. #41
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Seems to me term limiting is a way of corruption limiting....
    And yet, paradoxically enough, it tends to create stronger moral hazards for corruption, as congressional races become vacated so frequently and consequentially more intensely contested that special interests are able to drive harder and harder bargains in exchange for their support.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    And yet, paradoxically enough, it tends to create stronger moral hazards for corruption, as congressional races become vacated so frequently and consequentially more intensely contested that special interests are able to drive harder and harder bargains in exchange for their support.
    You have proof of this phenomena?

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Because there might be somebody better at it just waiting in the background?

    Maybe because there's somebody you'd agree with 100%?
    And nothing prevented that person from running. I ask again, why should my ability to vote for the person I chose to represent me be limited because you do not like them?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    When I lived in Michigan I voted for Carl Levin like clockwork. Guy did good work and mostly stood for the issues I agreed with. Why would I have wanted to vote for some one else when he was good at the job?
    I feel the same about Ron Wyden. He's done a great job for his constituency.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Because there might be somebody better at it just waiting in the background?

    Maybe because there's somebody you'd agree with 100%?
    And maybe there is somebody I'd agree with less or disagree with entirely.

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Not only should there be term limits there should also be a five year waiting period before someone can run for a different office.For example someone who was a senator should wait 5 years before being allowed to run for president,mayor,congressmen, or some other elected or appointed office.
    I strongly disagree with all of this. We are, or should be, free to choose whomever we want as our elected representatives, and in spite of all our whining and moaning... we do.

    Having said that, I will admit to being annoyed when a person runs for two offices at the same time. For example, when a sitting Senator runs for Vice-President and also hedges his bets by running for re-election as senator as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    This is dumb, but especially the mandatory waiting period is absolutely unworkable. It's arbitrary - why five years? Why not three? Or seven? - and doesn't have any sort of a rationale behind it.

    Politicians being 'insiders' is actually a good thing, and political 'outsiders' are generally kept outside for a reason. You absolutely want your Representative to have as many contacts as possible, in order to accomplish more for his district. And you want a skilled and connected politician who represents you to advance in the political arena.


    It sounds good to say, "grr! meany politician doo-doo heads!". But when it comes to your representation in Congress, would you ever want him to be anything but the most effective, on-the-ball Representative anybody's ever seen? Would you vote to neuter and emasculate him politically?

    No, of course not. The only reason you'd ever do so is because you're represented by a member of the other Party, and then you'd only support doing so until your guy got in.

    And well you shouldn't. You should want strong representation that commands as many resources as possible. That's logical, and in accord with the design of our competitive system of representation.
    I oppose term limits, but if we do have them they should be equal and across the board for every body (i.e.: Senate, House, etc.) precisely to eliminate any representative disparity.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #47
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    There's a petition on the WH website about term limits. Look at it, if you agree, sign it. It may go nowhere butt it might get enough signatures to require a response.

    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...enate/H6lYJ5dw
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Having said that, I will admit to being annoyed when a person runs for two offices at the same time. For example, when a sitting Senator runs for Vice-President and also hedges his bets by running for re-election as senator as well.
    I don't have much of a problem with that if they are picked to be the Vice-President within a few days of, or after, the primary for that election. Withdrawing from the race at that point would leave the party in a needlessly precarious position.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Not really. I think term limits increase corruption, because it attracts politicians who are looking for short term gain, before taking a sweet heart job. If anything, term limits need to be made longer, and rules need to be in place to prohibit politician to lobbyist/executive BS.

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I don't have much of a problem with that if they are picked to be the Vice-President within a few days of, or after, the primary for that election. Withdrawing from the race at that point would leave the party in a needlessly precarious position.
    Sometimes they win both. When that happens they resign the Senator seat, and the constituents are the ones who are screwed. They either get a selected representative that they may never have voted for in the first place, and/or they get the cost of a special election.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •