View Poll Results: Do you support defined term limits?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 56.60%
  • No

    21 39.62%
  • Don't care

    1 1.89%
  • other - please explain

    1 1.89%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103

Thread: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

  1. #31
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    This is dumb, but especially the mandatory waiting period is absolutely unworkable. It's arbitrary - why five years? Why not three? Or seven? - and doesn't have any sort of a rationale behind it.
    The rational behind it is to ensure politicians can not carry over any influence to another office.


    No, of course not. The only reason you'd ever do so is because you're represented by a member of the other Party, and then you'd only support doing so until your guy got in.
    My elected officials are doing a good job. But at the same time I am against career politicians.


    And well you shouldn't. You should want strong representation that commands as many resources as possible. That's logical, and in accord with the design of our competitive system of representation.
    I want politicians who are in it because they think they can do some good.Not because they can get rich or amass power.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #32
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The government is not the power tit that I am trying to suck on. When a representative is more concerned about his career than his constituents, something is horribly wrong. If all politicians came from, and returned to "common folk", we'd have a lot less of the political elitism we have today.
    Again: I don't give a good Goddamn about how Rugged your Individualism is. The 'political class' as you call it is infinitely preferable to anything approaching either the direct democracy of the Left or the insipid populism of the Right - we need a governing class that is capable of governing.

    'Libertarianism' of the sort you want - where the House and Senate would have basically no function at all, where we'd elect officials and then do nothing with them - is beyond the American intent and experience, and will be forever.
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

  3. #33
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The issue is career politicians have become disconnected from their constituents. They get wrapped up in a powerful, elitist world, where even their own decisions don't effect them much.

    For an average, every day citizen who's exercising his short tenure as a politician, he realizes that in 2-4 years he's going to be an average citizen again, and as such, will tend to favor supporting the populace over supporting himself.
    Nonsense, with no need or hope to run again he will set up "firends" with tons of pork to care for himself for the rest of his days. It is only in seeking re-election that they are forced to stay as honest as they do, without that mild pressure it is likely that total chaos would rule.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Congratulations: you've just guaranteed a poor man will never be elected to Congress, and you've made Congress even more dependent on the benefits they accrue from lobbyists.
    I disagree. plenty of people work for the average wage and benefits, and it's already nearly impossible for a poor person to win a congressional seat. as for lobbyists and influence, we're talking in terms of hell being ten degrees warmer or so.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Absolutely not. I think career politicians is the worst idea on the planet. The system was designed to be for the people, by the people. Our politicians should be average citizens who temporarily serve their country. Not the rich, career assholes they are now.



    So anyone who opposes career politicians is an idiot? It's that very same reason that our politicians are more concerned with their careers and playing ball with each other than actually representing their constituents.
    Here is an odd idea: if you do not like career politicians, don't vote for them. If I like a career politician, why should you be able to take my option to vote for them away?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If I like a career politician, why should you be able to take my option to vote for them away?
    How often does that happen?

    How often are you voting for a guy/girl who's been in office for decades?

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    How often does that happen?

    How often are you voting for a guy/girl who's been in office for decades?
    When I lived in Michigan I voted for Carl Levin like clockwork. Guy did good work and mostly stood for the issues I agreed with. Why would I have wanted to vote for some one else when he was good at the job?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,564

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    When I lived in Michigan I voted for Carl Levin like clockwork. Guy did good work and mostly stood for the issues I agreed with. Why would I have wanted to vote for some one else when he was good at the job?
    Because there might be somebody better at it just waiting in the background?

    Maybe because there's somebody you'd agree with 100%?

  9. #39
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,145

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    No. I don't think term limits will fix the problems we have with congress. It limits the choices of the people, and ensures the final term of the politician will be one where they are not beholden to their constituents. And even if term limits prevented the people from electing the same specific failed politicians over and over, it wouldn't prevent them from electing people just like them, which is what I feel they would inevitably end up doing.
    ...as if any congressmen or senator is beholden to their constituents, unless of course, "constituents" means lobbyists....

    Seems to me term limiting is a way of corruption limiting....

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: 75% Prefer Term Limits - Do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...as if any congressmen or senator is beholden to their constituents, unless of course, "constituents" means lobbyists....
    Somewhat true I suppose. I don't think term limits would do anything to limit that though.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •