View Poll Results: Was Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was completely normal and appropriate.

    18 26.09%
  • Yeah, it was ok, but I'd prefer that children were not involved like that.

    5 7.25%
  • No, it was total emotional exploitation.

    44 63.77%
  • I cannot decide.

    2 2.90%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Kids are people too. I don't care if he used monkeys cause I never watch the BS.

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Having kids at a press conference, or using them as political props, is done by every politician. Trying to make them evil fascists for doing so is plum stupid.
    Ignore, for the moment, that other politicians on all sides do the same thing. Is it appropriate... and by 'appropriate' I mean nothing in poor taste/judgment with it whatsoever... that *any* politician use this tactic for any reason?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ignore, for the moment, that other politicians on all sides do the same thing. Is it appropriate... and by 'appropriate' I mean nothing in poor taste/judgment with it whatsoever... that *any* politician use this tactic for any reason?
    I do not see it as inappropriate. No one is harmed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #74
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not see it as inappropriate. No one is harmed.
    In a sense that no one is directly harmed, I would tend to agree. We should be looking beyond what is in front of us at the moment. That no one is harmed, as a blanket statement, is incorrect.

    Using an earlier example that I mentioned attaching children victim's names to bills is a perfect example of how people and society as a whole can be harmed after the dust settles. Due, in part, to the emotionalism of a specific child being a victim, we get laws like our current sex offender registries where people are placed for completely nonthreatening activity such as public urination of a drunk college student, the 18 yr old with a 15 yr old bf/gf, and so on. The emotionalism injected, in the form of objectifying children as tools or pawns, played a huge part in the resulting lack of common sense.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The entire Obama presidency could be viewed as a rash appeal to emotion. If the electorate had used reason and careful thought to select a president, Obama would not hold the office today.
    One could make the same observation about the blatant propaganda Reagan used, pure emotional appeal. Or BushI as the follow-on, the clone of Reagan, which of course he wasn't. Then BushII who was Bubba, who many wanted to have beer with.

    it isn't a liberal or socialist thing. it is a political thing. The right is just mad because they know it works, it has worked for them in the past. The NRA should have done the same thing, had a bevy of 'responsible firearms owners' surrounding the CEO as he made is more 'guns' in schools appeal.

    Face it, the NRA and all are bungling this at every turn. they need an A game and all they can do is trot out the same worn threadbare rhetoric.

    Reminds me of the McCain and Romney campaigns. New blood, and new tactics. Stop the shrill rants. need calm cool heads with a simple, embracing message. Now more than ever no more 47% moments.

  6. #76
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    It was just him scoring political points by using the children to get an emotional response from the public.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    virginia
    Last Seen
    04-01-13 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    16,881
    Blog Entries
    19

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    It was just him scoring political points by using the children to get an emotional response from the public.
    Called politics.

  8. #78
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    Called politics.
    True True.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not see it as inappropriate. No one is harmed.
    If you think that then the harm to the dignity of the presidency must be meaningless to you.

  10. #80
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    If you think that then the harm to the dignity of the presidency must be meaningless to you.
    If you think that you must be ignorant of history.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •