View Poll Results: Was Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was completely normal and appropriate.

    18 26.09%
  • Yeah, it was ok, but I'd prefer that children were not involved like that.

    5 7.25%
  • No, it was total emotional exploitation.

    44 63.77%
  • I cannot decide.

    2 2.90%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    20 young children were senslessly murdered by gunfire and those children are the REASON Obama is doing this. It is totally appropriate that they be front and center in this fight. Whether you know it or want to admit it, those children are the owners of the future we give them. They have every right to be involved in it too.
    While I don't see that much sentimental value in this incident, you sure put a nice spin on it.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, those are my words that subtly suggested selective outrage. I then explained my feelings on the issue, which is that it is trivial.
    I agree that there is selective outrage on this issue. I am also convinced that if the tables were turned, if it were a Republican using kids to garner the sympathy vote, Democrats would behave exactly the same way.

    Selective outrage is a reality of partisan American politics. Neither side has a monopoly on sanctimonious bull****. It's the American way.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    It wasn't that he used kids. It was that he used kids for a completely ignorant and self-serving discussion.

    If he had kids up there that were making valid points or contributed to legitimate viewpoint, sure. Not when he's pandering.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I agree that there is selective outrage on this issue. I am also convinced that if the tables were turned, if it were a Republican using kids to garner the sympathy vote,
    The NRA used Obama's kids in an advertisement to gain support for their position.

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I agree that there is selective outrage on this issue. I am also convinced that if the tables were turned, if it were a Republican using kids to garner the sympathy vote, Democrats would behave exactly the same way.

    Selective outrage is a reality of partisan American politics. Neither side has a monopoly on sanctimonious bull****. It's the American way.
    And if democrats gave Obama a pass on this but condemned conservatives for doing it, it would be selective outrage. Me personally, I don't see any one harmed so don't care when any one does it. That is called consistency.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,291
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    The NRA used Obama's kids in an advertisement to gain support for their position.
    Kinda sorta. The add failed on just about every level, factual and logical, but the referencing of kids in the add was not really inappropriate to my mind.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Kinda sorta. The add failed on just about every level, factual and logical, but the referencing of kids in the add was not really inappropriate to my mind.
    I think it was highly out of line. It was a blatant attack. IMHO they should have found some kids that support the 2nd and encouraged debate.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,357

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    While I don't see that much sentimental value in this incident, you sure put a nice spin on it.
    It maybe because I see this as genuine and not as a cynical "ploy". Obama has a picture in his study painted by a 7 year old girl killed that day, and when he says seeing it moves him to do something so she will not have died in vain, I believe him.
    I would find that quite satisfying in any person but for a President it is phenomenal.

  9. #49
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Did not claim they are not any, but they are much quieter on the whole, nor are they threatening revolution.
    How can you say they're quiter when you've already said you're less likely to read them. They're plenty loud to me. Where were you when some proponents of OWS were suggesting violence and armed revolution?


    Can you show me where Obama or congress is threatening to take guns away? I just read the proposal Obama put forth, and it does not do this. Obama on curbing gun violence: 'Now is the time'. Notice the problem? Hyperbole is exceeding the facts in a big way.
    Number 2.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Was President Obama's use of children in today's press conference appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And if democrats gave Obama a pass on this but condemned conservatives for doing it, it would be selective outrage. Me personally, I don't see any one harmed so don't care when any one does it. That is called consistency.
    Consistency is a hallmark and prized conservative trait. I'm just saying.

    Anyone who can be the same man every day was raised right. Kudos.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •