View Poll Results: Are you disappointed with Kerry as SoS

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm a democrat/leaning democrat

    1 2.78%
  • No, and I'm a democrat/leaning democrat

    4 11.11%
  • Yes, and I'm a republican/leaning republican

    6 16.67%
  • No, and I'm a republican/leaning republican

    0 0%
  • Yes, and I'm an independent or of a 3rd party

    11 30.56%
  • No, and I'm an independent or of a 3rd party

    11 30.56%
  • Other? please explain

    3 8.33%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

  1. #1
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    I like Obama on most of what he does. But this is one of those few times where he disappointed me. Your thoughts?

    First I'd be much happier with Hillary Clinton staying. Shes popular around the world and an effective diplomat.

    Kerry may not be awful but he's certainly not many people's top pick. Fells like an awfully conservative/safe play when better people can be found.

    Even if the number of well know applicants to the position are lacking. I'd be happier to see a lesser known and capable/smart person with new ideas.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  2. #2
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    I like Obama on most of what he does. But this is one of those few times where he disappointed me. Your thoughts?

    First I'd be much happier with Hillary Clinton staying. Shes popular around the world and an effective diplomat.

    Kerry may not be awful but he's certainly not many people's top pick. Fells like an awfully conservative/safe play when better people can be found.

    Even if the number of well know applicants to the position are lacking. I'd be happier to see a lesser known and capable/smart person with new ideas.

    this again illustrates that one of Obama's HUGE weaknesses is that he has a poor eye for talent

    hillary was out the door, no matter what, so a replacement was necessary
    but an inarticulate senator with nothing notable accomplished during his terms, weakly regarded at home and abroad, was an awful choice. that is compounded when realizing he opened that senate seat to the GOP. made even worse by recognizing he passed over Colin Powell; someone who would have worked his ass off to overcome the stigma after his false (neocon supplied) report to the UN regarding iraq's military capacity
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #3
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    his false (neocon supplied) report to the UN regarding iraq's military capacity
    Actually, the report was supplied by Saddam, due to his attempts to convince the Iranians that he still had WMDs. Everyone knows this. Stop the hate.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,114

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiang View Post
    First I'd be much happier with Hillary Clinton staying.

    same here. i'm giving Kerry the benefit of the doubt, though. i hope he does a good job and rises to the challenge.

  5. #5
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    We all know Kerry's not to popular with the people. Losing to Bush should've raised flags.

    Obama knows more about Kerry then I do as they were senators together. I trust he has his reasons.

    Only time will tell if the decision is right.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  6. #6
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    this again illustrates that one of Obama's HUGE weaknesses is that he has a poor eye for talent

    hillary was out the door, no matter what, so a replacement was necessary
    but an inarticulate senator with nothing notable accomplished during his terms, weakly regarded at home and abroad, was an awful choice. that is compounded when realizing he opened that senate seat to the GOP. made even worse by recognizing he passed over Colin Powell; someone who would have worked his ass off to overcome the stigma after his false (neocon supplied) report to the UN regarding iraq's military capacity
    Not sure if Colin Powell was interested. See I'd be better able to assess the decision if I were able to see the roster of applicants. But for such an important seat Obama should've went out of his way looking for people.

    Kerry again is a very safe choice in that he's unlikely to do anything crazy. But not the kind of person you'd think would make headway in international diplomacy.
    One learns more by listening than talking.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    He's a God-awful pick for Secretary of State. He'd better serve the public teaching us how to marry into money.

    I know if he has a secret, I'd love to hear it.

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Ehhh wasnt expecting anything that would make me happy per say. Could of been worse. But i guess im content.. Ehhh i guess..


  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ehhh wasnt expecting anything that would make me happy per say. Could of been worse. But i guess im content.. Ehhh i guess..
    I'm pretty thrilled about his stance on Vietnam, though.

  10. #10
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: Was Kerry a disappointing Secretary of State nomination?

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    I'm pretty thrilled about his stance on Vietnam, though.
    which of his stances on vietnam are you referring to?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •