View Poll Results: Would this compromise be acceptable?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. This isnít perfect, but no compromise is.

    12 12.90%
  • No. I donít mind some compromise, but this still takes away too much.

    13 13.98%
  • No. We should never compromise our gun rights.

    61 65.59%
  • No. This still gives too many gun ownership privileges.

    4 4.30%
  • I can hit a target 400 yards away with my eyes closed.

    3 3.23%
Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 705

Thread: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

  1. #451
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I disagree, I do think that they serve the same purpose, defense of life, liberty, and property from any threat. I do think that not only is it relevant today, it is necessary for us to understand the importance and to be properly trained and prepared. It's not to say that we should fly off at the littlest of things; but you cannot be lax in your duty and responsibilities to the Republic either. Free is a low entropy state, it necessitates continual work merely to maintain, even more to improve. If you don't put in the work at all, it WILL degrade; without doubt, without exception. It's essentially physics.
    I think I can, and done just that without a weapon. I also think a weapon is too often used to ignore good sense. However, I have not said completely ban all weapons. Just that some restriction is not the apocalypse.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #452
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Just like left wingnuts got bat**** crazy over 30 kids but support abortion while ignoring alcohol and drug related deaths among kids.
    Wtf are you talking about?

    The reality is, gun nuts are nuts. Period. They oppose any and all sensible regulation or ANY regulation period. They believe that the second Amendment is absolute, which it isn't. They don't understand how Constitutional law works.
    These gun nuts are so out of sync with the overwhelming majority of Americans. Most Americans have had enough. The question is going to be whether the Republican party continues to align themseleves with these fringe elements and further drive the party towards extinction. Or whether they will wise up and recognize that aligning themselves with the radical fringe is not taking their party anywhere.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #453
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think I can, and done just that without a weapon. I also think a weapon is too often used to ignore good sense. However, I have not said completely ban all weapons. Just that some restriction is not the apocalypse.
    It is most certainly possible to do without a weapon. It is in fact preferable to do without a weapon. Intelligent and informed voting and participation in the Republic can allow us to keep the Republic free without resorting to violence. But nothing is infinite, all that lives must die, and all government will trend towards tyranny. If we are lax, we lose it, if we lose it we are left with little choice.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wtf are you talking about?

    The reality is, gun nuts are nuts. Period. They oppose any and all sensible regulation or ANY regulation period. They believe that the second Amendment is absolute, which it isn't. They don't understand how Constitutional law works.
    These gun nuts are so out of sync with the overwhelming majority of Americans. Most Americans have had enough. The question is going to be whether the Republican party continues to align themseleves with these fringe elements and further drive the party towards extinction. Or whether they will wise up and recognize that aligning themselves with the radical fringe is not taking their party anywhere.
    Nothing is more fringe than a progressive that supports regulating interstate commerce because of the bad behavior of a single individual. You support this gun ban but want to keep alcohol legal even thought it kills more people?

  5. #455
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Nothing is more fringe than a progressive that supports regulating interstate commerce because of the bad behavior of a single individual. You support this gun ban but want to keep alcohol legal even thought it kills more people?
    Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting returning to prohibition? Just like a right-winger....try the same failed ideas and hope for different results. BTW...this has nothing to do with "bad behavior by a single individual". Sensible regulations on guns have been needed for a long time and based on a wide range of behaviors. There is no reason we shouldn't have waiting periods, registration requirements, gun show loophole closures and bans on military type assault rifles. That is just basic common sense.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #456
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting returning to prohibition? Just like a right-winger....try the same failed ideas and hope for different results. BTW...this has nothing to do with "bad behavior by a single individual". Sensible regulations on guns have been needed for a long time and based on a wide range of behaviors. There is no reason we shouldn't have waiting periods, registration requirements, gun show loophole closures and bans on military type assault rifles. That is just basic common sense.
    There's nothing sensible in any of that. That's just paranoia and fear.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Are you SERIOUSLY suggesting returning to prohibition? Just like a right-winger....try the same failed ideas and hope for different results. BTW...this has nothing to do with "bad behavior by a single individual". Sensible regulations on guns have been needed for a long time and based on a wide range of behaviors. There is no reason we shouldn't have waiting periods, registration requirements, gun show loophole closures and bans on military type assault rifles. That is just basic common sense.
    Did I say that? Absolutely not, but the fact remains more people including kids are killed by drunk drivers each year than Lanza and Holmes killed together. Why are liberal crazies trying to ban alcohol or cars? Oh yeah because that death rate is acceptable for them.

    Of course it has to do with bad behavior. One crazy or ten crazies does not equal punishing the rest of the nation. We already have wait periods on handguns which are attributed to more deaths than assault weapons. For your information the Bushmaster Lanza used was not a military rifle or even a mil spec rifle. It was a civilian rifle.

  8. #458
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    There's nothing sensible in any of that. That's just paranoia and fear.
    Really? How is a waiting period "Paranoia and fear"?

    How is requiring people to register their guns like we register a vehicle "paranoia and and fear".

    How is closing loopholes that allow people to willy/nilly buy weapons at gun shows that they couldn't elsewhere "paranoia and fear".

    How is a ban on unecessary assault weapons "paranoia and fear".


    The reality is that the only "paranoia and fear" is coming from the gun nuts and the anti-government wackos that have the distorted belief that everyone is out to get them and are coming to take away their guns.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #459
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Did I say that? Absolutely not, but the fact remains more people including kids are killed by drunk drivers each year than Lanza and Holmes killed together. Why are liberal crazies trying to ban alcohol or cars? Oh yeah because that death rate is acceptable for them.

    Of course it has to do with bad behavior. One crazy or ten crazies does not equal punishing the rest of the nation. We already have wait periods on handguns which are attributed to more deaths than assault weapons. For your information the Bushmaster Lanza used was not a military rifle or even a mil spec rifle. It was a civilian rifle.

    How is requiring a waiting period "punishing the rest of the nation?"

    How is requiring loopholes for gunshows closed "punishing the rest of the nation?"

    How is requiring registration of guns "punishing the rest of the nation?"

    How is banning assault weapons "Punishing the rest of the nation?"

    The vast majority of the country supports all of these things. The only people who are crying uncontrollably about them are the far out fringe gun nuts that will cry about ANY regulation of weapons. Period.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #460
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    A proposed compromise on &quot;assault weapons&quot;-95674359-bushmaster-rifle-jpgThere is no legitimate purpose for any citizen to possess weapons like this. They are not designed for hunting. The are not designed for "self-protection". They are designed for one purpose, to kill. Only a wacked out gun nut or a crazed mental patient would have a desire for one. And that alone is good reason to ban them. Period.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 46 of 71 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •