View Poll Results: Would this compromise be acceptable?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. This isnít perfect, but no compromise is.

    12 12.90%
  • No. I donít mind some compromise, but this still takes away too much.

    13 13.98%
  • No. We should never compromise our gun rights.

    61 65.59%
  • No. This still gives too many gun ownership privileges.

    4 4.30%
  • I can hit a target 400 yards away with my eyes closed.

    3 3.23%
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 705

Thread: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

  1. #311
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No class of arms is any more protected than any other. No specific model or usage of firearm is specially protected more than any other.
    Now that's interesting. You realize that, added to your argument that the government has the right to ban "military style" weapons, this means that in your opinion the Second Amendment means that the government can ban any and all weapons?

  2. #312
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Police officers and soldiers who work for the government have the weapons they do as tools to do a specific job. You and I and other citizens DO NOT HAVE THOSE JOBS. It is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
    Actually as members of the militia, they do.

    10 USC 311: The Militia consists of all able- bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 13 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States.

    However, as I recall, you were a public school teacher, and so as I don't think that Howard Zinn covered that part, you can be excused for not knowing it.




    However, the job of the soldiers and police, broadly, is to protect us from predators abroad and at home. When did I give up the right to protect myself against criminals?

  3. #313
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Now that's interesting. You realize that, added to your argument that the government has the right to ban "military style" weapons, this means that in your opinion the Second Amendment means that the government can ban any and all weapons?
    I laid that argument out in detail an hour or so ago. It is true, when he said we civilians do not have the right to even own police defensive weapons and when he also said all firearms have equal protection under the second amendment, the only logical conclusion is that he does not believe the second amendment actually protects the rights of individual civilians who are not employees of state or federal government

  4. #314
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Actually as members of the militia, they do.

    10 USC 311: The Militia consists of all able- bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 13 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States.

    However, as I recall, you were a public school teacher, and so as I don't think that Howard Zinn covered that part, you can be excused for not knowing it.




    However, the job of the soldiers and police, broadly, is to protect us from predators abroad and at home. When did I give up the right to protect myself against criminals?
    he confuses why police are ISSUED weapons and why the rest of us have to buy them vs us having the same right to BUY stuff that the police are ISSUED

  5. #315
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I highly doubt that Chinese citizens, if armed with your basic firearm, could restrain the Chinese military. The Chinese military would just completely overwhelm the citizenry.

    That's why I found this whole "guns need to stand up again the US government and the military" type of talk a little silly.
    I don't know. They should be afforded the chance...and I wouldn't want to go up against that many people.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #316
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I laid that argument out in detail an hour or so ago. It is true, when he said we civilians do not have the right to even own police defensive weapons and when he also said all firearms have equal protection under the second amendment, the only logical conclusion is that he does not believe the second amendment actually protects the rights of individual civilians who are not employees of state or federal government

    That is precisely correct.


    I wonder what his response will be to having worked himself into that particularly ridiculous pretzel?

  7. #317
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18
    I highly doubt that Chinese citizens, if armed with your basic firearm, could restrain the Chinese military. The Chinese military would just completely overwhelm the citizenry.
    I don't know. They should be afforded the chance...and I wouldn't want to go up against that many people.

    Well, gosh. Afghani and Pakistani Taliban seem to mostly depend upon AK-47's, homemade explosives, and pieces of string. How are they doing?

  8. #318
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    MOre unabated idiocy. Of course you cannot see any objection. You want people disarmed.

    claiming the NRA is the voice of the radical right is the sort of psychobabble your posts are famous for. The biggest argument against the NRA is that they don't take a strong enough position against the pimps in DC and their anti right idiocy
    You're the type of person I would prefer to see banned from guns. You right wing radicals are the problem. Listen to yourself. I don't want to pay the US Military to defend your old family investments, and you take it for granted. You neocons like permanent war and its many investment opportunities. Someone might take away your 100 round clips and you squeal like wee pukkin' porkers. Gimme a break.

  9. #319
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    You're the type of person I would prefer to see banned from guns. You right wing radicals are the problem. Listen to yourself. I don't want to pay the US Military to defend your old family investments, and you take it for granted. You neocons like permanent war and its many investment opportunities. Someone might take away your 100 round clips and you squeal like wee pukkin' porkers. Gimme a break.
    I have a great idea-try to ban my guns yourself. BTW there is no such thing as a 100 round clip. comments like that not only prove your comments are inane and silly but that you really don't know about guns at all

    and I don't own any 100 round magazines. They are not legal in ohio, and they are extremely unreliable and make my AR 15 or M4 rifles far harder to carry

    they only work if they are carefully maintained and used on a weapon that can shoot on full auto for sustained periods

    (shooting a standard M4 in full auto 100 rounds in a row is not conducive for the service life of that weapon


    your rant about paying the military is a howler. chances are you aren't paying for what you use let alone for what others use

  10. #320
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: A proposed compromise on "assault weapons"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is precisely correct.


    I wonder what his response will be to having worked himself into that particularly ridiculous pretzel?

    it took a while but I could see the path he had prepared for himself and where it was leading.

Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •