View Poll Results: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent disease

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 82.35%
  • No

    3 17.65%
  • Sometimes

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent disease

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Yes, I was forced to get the influenza vaccine. The thing with those who work in healthcare is that we are interacting with patients and should not be a potential spreader of disease. There is an ethical obligation to not make yourself a risk factor to your patients.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I think they should be encouraged to get the shots, but not required as for flu. Things like Hepatitis I am a little more conflicted about. I wouldn't want Typhoid Mary walking around an ICU unit where the patients are already at high risk for new infections.
    I voted 'no', but you make good points.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent disease?

    Story behind the question
    Health care workers, absolutely.
    I have no problem with them being fired, for refusing vaccination.

    That makes them an even greater public health hazard.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #24
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't want to be forced to get a flu shot.
    Unless you have some kind of allergy to vaccinations, I view not getting vaccinated, as assaulting the public with your negligence.
    I have a kook sister that doesn't get her kids any vaccinations, they are a danger to public health.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Unless you have some kind of allergy to vaccinations, I view not getting vaccinated, as assaulting the public with your negligence.
    I have a kook sister that doesn't get her kids any vaccinations, they are a danger to public health.
    I'm not against vaccines, I'm glad I was vaccinated as a kid, and will vaccinate my kids, but I'd rather not get a flu shot, never have, don't get sick that often, just no point really.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    The only instances where a healthcare worker shouldn't get vaccinated is if they have an allergy to the shot and also do not qualify for the flu-mist immunization (live nasal spray vaccination) and if the immunization may conflict with their religious beliefs.

    Working directly with patients who are most likely seeing you because they are sick puts you at risk for contracting the virus. If you work in a physician's office and say you interact with 25 patients a day, how many of them do you think are there for flu-like symptoms that may indeed have the flu? All it takes is one person taking cash or a credit card as a receptionist (even taking a pen) or being a tech/nurse physically touching the patient or being in close proximity when they cough or sneeze. In pharmacy there is an interaction between the patient's payment and the exchange of giving them medication. As the pharmacist you will be required by law in states to counsel patients on all new prescription (interacting with them).

    However, the biggest risk is the healthcare worker potentially infecting someone else. The fact is that there are deaths related to the flu. We think of it being a 1 week of misery but it does kill. Patients with compromised immune systems (like cancer patients on chemo), the elderly, diabetics, and others are at risk. The flu can develop into pneumonia and the risk of an elderly person falling due to their physical weakness fighting off the virus is a real concern. The primary reason to get vaccinated is to protect at risk patients that may potentially die if they contract the flu, and because they are directly interacting with you all healthcare workers should be forced to get vaccinated. Even as a student everywhere I go I have to bring a folder with me to each site that contains my childhood vaccination records, an antibody titer proving I am immune to chicken pox, and a record that I received this year's flu vaccine. The main reason isn't to protect me (I typically have to sign papers saying I won't sue and am not covered under workers comp), the main reason is to make sure that I don't spread disease to others and the only reason why I should be allowed to refuse is if the vaccine is contraindicated in me or for religious reasons (and for religious reasons places will require you to wear a mask, gloves, etc).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #27
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    The health of the patient takes prescient over that of the doctor/nurse.
    Those who accept this not are in the wrong field....
    They may scream "rights" but are being selfish and childish..

  8. #28
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't want to be forced to get a flu shot.
    Are you a health care worker? Seems the choice is still there. Much the same way someone who doesn't want to take a test isn't going to be a lawyer, someone who doesn't want to wear gloves isn't going to be a surgeon, etc... the choice is there. Someone that doesn't want immunizations isn't going to be a healthcare worker.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I'm not against vaccines, I'm glad I was vaccinated as a kid, and will vaccinate my kids, but I'd rather not get a flu shot, never have, don't get sick that often, just no point really.
    As a future health care worker, that seems very, very short sited.
    Potentially transmitting airborne disease is the opposite of what you should be doing.

    Don't get sick often, is not an excuse.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 01-14-13 at 09:42 AM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should health care workers be required to receive injections meant to prevent dis

    If protecting patients is paramount to the point that we would require health care workers take the vaccine, then why would a worker's allergies and/or religion make a difference? The patients are not more or less protected depending on the status of the worker's inability to take said vaccine.

    Or, are we willing to sacrifice a few patients in the name of political correctness by not offending or inconveniencing the allergic worker?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •