View Poll Results: Should we propose further alcohol control?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 11.76%
  • No

    23 67.65%
  • Other

    7 20.59%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 178

Thread: Time for Alcohol Control?

  1. #71
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I don't know if "acceptable" is the right word. But, there is surely a difference.

    Killing someone by accident and killing someone in cold blood are miles apart.
    I'm sure that regardless of the accident or intention, the person who died, would rather not be dead.
    That doesn't even begin to deal with the other social effects of alcohol like, child abuse and domestic violence.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #72
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I don't know if "acceptable" is the right word. But, there is surely a difference.

    Killing someone by accident and killing someone in cold blood are miles apart.

    That kind of careless disregard for others safety is a close second to deadly intent.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #73
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    News flash....for some.
    Guns, and the lack of their control killed those children, NOT knives, not drugs, not alcohol.
    GUNS.
    Alcohol is under plenty of control......what more do you want ?
    prohibition ?
    Read your American history.
    We have far too many in a permanent state of denial....To change, to improve.....all but impossible.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,893

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I don't know if "acceptable" is the right word. But, there is surely a difference.

    Killing someone by accident and killing someone in cold blood are miles apart.
    Miles apart to you maybe. Not to those who've lost family members because of the actions of an irresponsible drunk driver. The end result is exactly the same. Dead.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Just want to preface this by saying I'm pro-second amendment! I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing.

    You can't keep narrowing the criteria by which this debate can take place. Alcohol and guns are comparable in certain ways but not in others. Moderate drinkers as a group are shown to be healthier than non-drinkers. The debate would be more relevant if you were comparing alcohol as a legal substance with other substances that are illegal.

    They tried criminalizing alcohol and it didn't work because anyone can produce it in their home using bread scraps and a simple setup. Also, the government wanted the revenue. If alcohol could be criminalized it probably would be, but the prohibition era didn't pan out. I think it had something to do with the maffia taking over Chicago with their illegal alcohol revenues, and building tunnels into Canada.

    You can't make guns in your home. Guns are used for targetted violence whereas alcohol related deaths tend to be accidental. Weeding out psychopaths and convicts from gun ownership could reduce the gun violence rate, but such controls would not work for alcohol because every day people become intoxicated.

    Most deaths in the U.S. annually are obesity related, like heart disease, stroke, etc. Why aren't we outlawing unhealthy food? There are over 100,000 deaths per year due to accidents, most of them automobile - why aren't we banning cars? Maybe it's because driving is a privilege that can be revoked, just like gun ownership should be?

    Plenty of drunk drivers don't kill anyone, but they are a risk. Most fatalities involving alcohol are accidental, even if there could have been some prevention. There is nothing accidental about a psycho shooting up a school full of children.

    Your argument is flawed at its core because you are comparing accidental death to pre-meditated murder - statistically speaking.
    First off, prohibition did work.
    It reduced over all consumption and reduce causes of cirrhosis.
    I'm not arguing for prohibition though.

    We don't outlaw automobiles because it's arguable that more people would die/be negatively socially effected, than if they weren't banned.
    Light alcohol consumption is heart healthy and can reduce cancer rates, but that's fine.
    We can allow light purchases of alcohol, while prohibiting moderate and heavy purchases.

    Heavy users increase their risk of cancer and have negative social effects like domestic violence and child abuse.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #76
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    News flash....for some.
    Guns, and the lack of their control killed those children, NOT knives, not drugs, not alcohol.
    GUNS.
    Alcohol is under plenty of control......what more do you want ?
    prohibition ?
    Read your American history.
    We have far too many in a permanent state of denial....To change, to improve.....all but impossible.
    News Flash... guns and alcohol didn't kill anyone, people with free will did. Should we eliminate free will?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #77
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    That kind of careless disregard for others safety is a close second to deadly intent.
    If someone had a BAC of 0.30 or something, THAT would be close to deadly intent.

    Just because one may drive while under the influence does not mean they have a total disregard for human life.

  8. #78
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    If someone had a BAC of 0.30 or something, THAT would be close to deadly intent.

    Just because one may drive while under the influence does not mean they have a total disregard for human life.
    It's the equivalent of shooting into a building of people and saying, "I wasn't aiming for anyone." It's only a matter of time before someone gets hit. Impaired driving is an open assault on other drivers.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #79
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    If someone had a BAC of 0.30 or something, THAT would be close to deadly intent.

    Just because one may drive while under the influence does not mean they have a total disregard for human life.
    Apart from the whole gun/alcohol thread, getting behind the wheel, under the influence of any intoxicant, is pretty damn idiotic/neglegent.
    It's not like it isn't well known.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Time for Alcohol Control?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It reduced consumption and potentially alcohol disease related deaths.
    NOT from what I have learned....
    Lets try intelligence rather than stupidity in solving these problems.
    Smoking cigarettes is a good case in point.
    But, I notice that its only the poor who smoke......generally.
    Why ?
    Everyone (except my family) seems to drink...rich or poor.
    Why ?
    Today, the penalty for DUI is so great, that I'd think that no man would dare......

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •