View Poll Results: Your stance on space programs

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an American and I consider NASA a priority

    38 63.33%
  • I'm an American and I don't consider space programs a priority

    12 20.00%
  • I'm an American and I want more international coop (NASA + ESA + other)

    20 33.33%
  • I'm an European and I consider ESA a priority

    2 3.33%
  • I'm an European and I want more international coop

    2 3.33%
  • I'm an European and I don't care about space programs

    0 0%
  • I'm Russian and I want more for Roscosmos

    1 1.67%
  • I'm Russian and I want more cooperation

    1 1.67%
  • I'm Russian and I don't care about space programs

    0 0%
  • I'm (other) and herp derp, I leave comment

    4 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 195

Thread: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    I'm noticing a trend in the results.

    1. A lot of americans who want space programs don't want more cooperation with other space agencies. This is quite disheartening since the ESA has worked with NASA on several programs, including the world famous, Hubble telescope. And much more. Would some americans who voted for that option express a point as to why would you be isolationists in this regard?

    2. very few people from Europe or Russia or other places commenting and voting here .
    It's not that I don't mind working with them so much. But I just think the US should lead the Way.

  2. #112
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,100

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    NASA discovered Earth? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the human beings who lived on it before NASA existed did? Your post proves my point. What has NASA produced besides "ooo ahh" pictures? And your counterpoint is to post an "ooo ahh" picture? Well played sir.
    Well I was trying to keep it simple or you, the first picture was one I figured even a grammar school student could understand.

    But since you asked again about NASAs doings while you claim to be a US marine, maybe this will help you out(pictorial wise):




    8th Comm. Marines prepare for upcoming deployment > II Marine Expeditionary Force > News Article

    Sight Alignment | OUT On The Porch


    Have a nice life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  3. #113
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    Well I was trying to keep it simple or you, the first picture was one I figured even a grammar school student could understand.

    But since you asked again about NASAs doings while you claim to be a US marine, maybe this will help you out(pictorial wise):




    8th Comm. Marines prepare for upcoming deployment > II Marine Expeditionary Force > News Article

    Sight Alignment | OUT On The Porch


    Have a nice life.
    And, once again, you reinforce the FACT that NASA does not produce anything from it's trips to space. Nothing is discovered when they get there that benefits us. Maybe you can't read. I plainly said that NASA produces things that we can use, however, most of those things would have been discovered and produced anyway out of necessity. Once again, as I've said to others on this website who engage in intelligent debate and actually read my counterpoints instead of simply putting their head in the sand, NASA has a place in the satellite management and repair area. However, none of our galavanting in space has produced a single discovery that has benefitted mankind. NASA has simply kept itself relevant by the old bait and switch technique. It goes something like this: People such as yourself: "What have you discovered in space that we can use?" NASA "Hey, look at this cool velcro!" People such as yourself "Hey cool!!" (wanders away sticking and unsticking velcro over and over).

    PS The servicemembers at the bottom are US Army, not Marines. Get it right Ruskie.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #114
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    And, once again, you reinforce the FACT that NASA does not produce anything from it's trips to space. Nothing is discovered when they get there that benefits us. Maybe you can't read. I plainly said that NASA produces things that we can use, however, most of those things would have been discovered and produced anyway out of necessity. Once again, as I've said to others on this website who engage in intelligent debate and actually read my counterpoints instead of simply putting their head in the sand, NASA has a place in the satellite management and repair area. However, none of our galavanting in space has produced a single discovery that has benefitted mankind. NASA has simply kept itself relevant by the old bait and switch technique. It goes something like this: People such as yourself: "What have you discovered in space that we can use?" NASA "Hey, look at this cool velcro!" People such as yourself "Hey cool!!" (wanders away sticking and unsticking velcro over and over).

    PS The servicemembers at the bottom are US Army, not Marines. Get it right Ruskie.
    Except that your arguement falls flat for the simple fact that it was NASA that invented those things that they did. No one else did. Shoulda coulda woulda's don't mean anything compared to facts or reality. Could other companies, countries have invented the things that NASA has? Sure, just about anything is possible. But they didn't. NASA did. You can discount any company or country or any other accomplishment with such an arguement as yours. But your arguement just ignores what actually HAS happened.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #115
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Except that your arguement falls flat for the simple fact that it was NASA that invented those things that they did. No one else did. Shoulda coulda woulda's don't mean anything compared to facts or reality. Could other companies, countries have invented the things that NASA has? Sure, just about anything is possible. But they didn't. NASA did. You can discount any company or country or any other accomplishment with such an arguement as yours. But your arguement just ignores what actually HAS happened.
    Warfare also produces technology and innovation. That has no bearing on whether the intended and direct outcome for war are beneficial or not.

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    If we can invent a self sustaining energy source or method of travel that allows us to travel to other solar systems, especially for billions of people, than I think any resource crisis on Earth would be solved.
    I agree. But this is never going to happen unless we aim for and work on it. Sitting back and waiting for the resources to run out before trying for these things will just condemn us to certain extinction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    In any reality, a Malthusian catastrophe would just self correct the human population to whatever would feasibly colonise out there.
    Assuming that such a Catastrophe actually happens. And even then what resources have already been spent are gone. No getting them back unless several million years pass without using any of the non-renewable (and even some renewable as they contribute to making the non-reneable) resources. So you better hope such a castastrophe doesn't happen. Because we may not get a second chance.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #117
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Warfare also produces technology and innovation. That has no bearing on whether the intended and direct outcome for war are beneficial or not.
    What has this got to do with his arguement or my rebuttle? I could have sworn that we were not talking about the causes of what leads to various inventions but about what actually has happened vs what shoulda coulda woulda happened.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #118
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What has this got to do with his arguement or my rebuttle? I could have sworn that we were not talking about the causes of what leads to various inventions but about what actually has happened vs what shoulda coulda woulda happened.
    No, I'm pointing out that the comparison applies to military spending - that the most common argument on this thread for spending is unintended consequences of R&D on civilian life rather than what the main point of the endeavour is. In the case of a military we have the simple mission statement of defense, with NASA it's "what's in space".

  9. #119
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I agree. But this is never going to happen unless we aim for and work on it. Sitting back and waiting for the resources to run out before trying for these things will just condemn us to certain extinction.
    We don't have to aim for interstellar travel to solve any resource crisis in any near term. We can just focus that money on the domestic problem.

    Assuming that such a Catastrophe actually happens. And even then what resources have already been spent are gone. No getting them back unless several million years pass without using any of the non-renewable (and even some renewable as they contribute to making the non-reneable) resources. So you better hope such a castastrophe doesn't happen. Because we may not get a second chance.
    Actually, I believe pressure to innovate drives innovation. Hoping for spin-off solutions to an identifiable problem by dreamily aiming for the stars which we are under no pressure to do rather than directly looking at the problem may take away our second chance.

  10. #120
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Space programs and their support among the population [W:91]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Except that your arguement falls flat for the simple fact that it was NASA that invented those things that they did. No one else did. Shoulda coulda woulda's don't mean anything compared to facts or reality. Could other companies, countries have invented the things that NASA has? Sure, just about anything is possible. But they didn't. NASA did. You can discount any company or country or any other accomplishment with such an arguement as yours. But your arguement just ignores what actually HAS happened.
    What HAS actually happened during NASA's primary function, space travel? Nothing. That's what. Cool pictures though
    I'll use a football analogy. If you have a quarterback who leads his team mates, ensures everyone on the offense is set correctly, stays after practice working with receivers, and makes sure players are respectful of coaches but can't throw the football, what happens to that quarterback? He goes away. Sure, all of that other stuff is nice but someone else that actually performs their job could do it just as well. NASA needs to go away. The only useful function they perform is satellite tracking and maintenance and Space X is showing the capability to even do that.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •