View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #81
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I say that legally they should not be allowed to lie.And if a cop does lie to get a so called confession it should be brought to the attention of the jury that the cop did lie. Many people won't risk fighting to prove their innocence if they believe the evidence is stacked against them and this leads to innocent people confessing to crimes they did not commit. Besides that police should be seen as trust worthy,more trust worthy than your average citizen. Police being allowed to lie creates a perception that police are untrustworthy liars and therefore corrupt. This helps facilitate a no snitch culture that plagues many communities.
    THIS!! A 1000 times THIS! Cops should be of higher quality than the average citizen. People should look up to them and not see them as lying pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #82
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I disagree. It is certainly NOT the same as beating the hell out of a suspect to get a confession. How effective is a lie on an innocent person? "We found your fingerprints on the knife." "No, no you didn't."
    I am sure that after you say "no you didn't" they tell you that if you confess you can get drastically less time or not face a death penalty or if you fight this and lose you will be punished to the fullest extent of the law and or get the death penalty. You are dirt poor, so chances are you will be given some fresh law school graduate or a lousy attorney as a public defender who has to go against a very experienced prosecutor. I am sure a lot of people in that situation will confess to a crime they didn't get even though logic should dictate that if the police had all the evidence they needed to convict you then they wouldn't need your confession.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-07-13 at 05:31 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #83
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The problem being that not everyone the police interrogate is guilty of a crime.

    That is not the point Kal" stang just what do you mean by lying. If Im interrugating a person of interest and I recieved information from their neighbor and through the line of questioning the person of interests says my neighbor told you that...do you want me to say yes and start a rage between two neighbor.
    Or do you consider lying if im interrugating someone and I say "WE KNOW" you were at such and such place and we dont know. Or when we say anything to them to draw them out to make them slip..just what is a lie to you

  4. #84
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Hmm..coercing. A few decades ago they stopped police from hiding behind bill boards, bushes etc etc due to it being entrapment. Could a cop lieing during an interrogation be considered the same also?
    When did they stop that?

  5. #85
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Lying cops...

    If everyone thought like some of the people on this board, crimes would never get solved.

    Don't talk to the cops...lawyer up immediately.
    Don't even answer their questions...you don't have to, you know.
    Cops shouldn't be able to lie.
    I'd be interested to see what you thought of these tactics if it was your daughter found dead lying by the side of the road. Nobody will talk to the cops. Everybody lawyers up. Yeah, that'll make the streets safer. Yes. Yes, it will.

    One only has to look at how that philosophy works in our inner-cities to know it's a failure.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #86
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    That is not the point Kal" stang just what do you mean by lying. If Im interrugating a person of interest and I recieved information from their neighbor and through the line of questioning the person of interests says my neighbor told you that...do you want me to say yes and start a rage between two neighbor.
    Or do you consider lying if im interrugating someone and I say "WE KNOW" you were at such and such place and we dont know. Or when we say anything to them to draw them out to make them slip..just what is a lie to you
    The definition of lying is not subjective. It means one thing. A lie is when someone says something that they know is not true. Plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If everyone thought like some of the people on this board, crimes would never get solved.



    I'd be interested to see what you thought of these tactics if it was your daughter found dead lying by the side of the road. Nobody will talk to the cops. Everybody lawyers up. Yeah, that'll make the streets safer. Yes. Yes, it will.

    One only has to look at how that philosophy works in our inner-cities to know it's a failure.
    Let's put it this way, if you have nothing to hide, then talk to the cops all you want. If you are guilty, however, I would discourage it.

  8. #88
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Let's put it this way, if you have nothing to hide, then talk to the cops all you want. If you are guilty, however, I would discourage it.
    You probably shouldn't talk at all to the cops regardless of guilt or innocence.

    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #89
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Let's put it this way, if you have nothing to hide, then talk to the cops all you want. If you are guilty, however, I would discourage it.


    I agree. Cops are too well-seasoned and too well-trained, and can easily confuse people - espesscially people who may not be the sharpest crayon in the box. How many innocent people are sitting in prison today because a cop needed to close a case, and didn't have the evidence to do it?

    Thank GOD for places like The Innocence Project - Home. They are there to help people when the lazier cops have to get that arrest, regardless of the way they get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #90
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The definition of lying is not subjective. It means one thing. A lie is when someone says something that they know is not true. Plain and simple.

    Then you will never get what you want when it comes to police interrogations, you obviously know nothing about them how they do and must work. I will not debate a topic thats based on the absurd expectation

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •