View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #61
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I disagree. It is certainly NOT the same as beating the hell out of a suspect to get a confession. How effective is a lie on an innocent person? "We found your fingerprints on the knife." "No, no you didn't."
    Right, but criminals lie. It's what they do. You can ask the same question to a suspect, and he's going to say "no you didn't." If you did, of course, then he's up sh1t creek. But if you didn't, it's not right to lie and make him think you have something that you don't have. I have a big problem with liars. If a cop lied, it would make him just as untrustworthy as the lying criminal. I know that my answer isn't the popular one, but I've worked with so many crooked cops that I have a hard time giving them a pass for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  2. #62
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Right, but criminals lie. It's what they do. You can ask the same question to a suspect, and he's going to say "no you didn't." If you did, of course, then he's up sh1t creek. But if you didn't, it's not right to lie and make him think you have something that you don't have. I have a big problem with liars. If a cop lied, it would make him just as untrustworthy as the lying criminal. I know that my answer isn't the popular one, but I've worked with so many crooked cops that I have a hard time giving them a pass for anything.
    One never knows. "We found your fingerprints on the knife." "No, no you didn't. I wore gloves."

    I'm sure that sometimes it's just that easy.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #63
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    One never knows. "We found your fingerprints on the knife." "No, no you didn't. I wore gloves."

    I'm sure that sometimes it's just that easy.
    But then that opens up a whole new "America's Dumbest Criminals" discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    When I think of a cop interrogating a guilty person, then I easily answer 'yes' to the question. But when I think of a cop interrogating an innocent person, I'm conflicted. An innocent person, particularly one without much confidence, could be easily manipulated into a false confession when confronted with lies and perhaps promises of a plea deal. Because of that, I'm not entirely sure how I stand on the issue. I will say that I would never so much as enter an interrogation room without a lawyer - innocent or not. It's crazy to me how many people talk to the police w/o representation.
    The "working poor" can be bankrupted by the lawyers extremely high cost.
    One thing wrong in this post.
    The man being interrogated is neither guilty nor innocent....He is supposed to be innocent until proven otherwise.
    The man's guilt/innocence is in a state of flux...when accused and in custody.
    And of course, the cops , the interrogators must not know this "state of flux".

  5. #65
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why should they be allowed to lie?
    Because criminals lie too.

  6. #66
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Lying cops...

    Yes. But they still cannot lie in court testimony. Lying is fine to determine the truth, e.g. falsely claiming that suspect DNA was found at the scene to the suspect is fine, but saying that same thing in court is perjury. The danger of that, of course, is one is likely to get a suspect to immediately "lawyer up", rather than admit to simply being a witness that may help the investigation.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    That's why some of us prefer not to have very many friends, and to vete them quite thoroughly before letting them get very close to us in the first place.
    1. I said friends, family and acquaintances. Even if you don't have friends or family, you still have acquaintances - people who you work with, who you see frequently at a grocery store, who might be your landlord and so on.

    2. "Vetting" potential friends, et al. does not predict the future. Every criminal has a "first time" - many of them without warnings. Some people snap. Some people get desperate.

    3. If you're trying to imply that having many friends and not "vetting" them all is an example of "grand stupidity", you're being absolutely ridiculous.

    You're stupid for staying late at work to begin with. You're even stupider for working at a company without proper security and surveilance measures in place.
    Who says the company doesn't have proper security or surveillance? There are many companies with the best of both that get things stolen from them - that's just how the world works. You're comment about staying late being stupid is dumb in and of itself.

    You've frankly come up with arbitrary parameters for "grand stupidity" and thus, your argument is invalid.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You've frankly come up with arbitrary parameters for "grand stupidity" and thus, your argument is invalid.
    Then we have no basis for discussion do we? Buh Bye.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Because criminals lie too.
    So two wrongs make a right?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone for a crime?
    It doesn't seem right.

    We're to assume that people are innocent until proven guilty.

    You wouldn't want your doctor, your teacher, or your grocer lying to you, ether.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •