View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #51
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Lying cops...

    It depends on what you are lying about. Police officers using their position to intimidate legally illiterate suspects into confessions by threatening them with severe punishments or coaxing them with the possibility of extremely easy treatment is at least to me a type of deception that egregiously taints the accuracy of what is confessed and should not be used. This is different from an officer saying "We have X evidence, you are going to go down its only a matter of how cooperative you want to be." or "Your partner Y confessed, are you going to take this alone?" While also potentially coercive I think they are more acceptable.

  2. #52
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    There's a famous case where the police hooked some guy up to a "lie detector" which was actually just the copy machine and every time the guy the answered a question, they'd push the copy button and out would come a piece of paper saying he was lying. Lol.

    Actually that went too far, while cops can engage in some lying, they cannot use props to manufacture fake "evidence". For example, they could tell a suspect that his buddy has given a statement saying that the suspect is completely guilty. They could not write up a fake statement and show that to the suspect.
    That was an episode of The Wire.

  3. #53
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    im going to answer yes, but admit it doesnt seem right

    im answering yes because i dont see the harm in it, if im being interrogated and the cops lie to me and im innocent it doenst change anything.

    I think the justification for police lying during interrogation is that if you're guilty, then they might trip you up into confession but if you're innocent they'll have no chance. The problem arises from abuse of this process by police interrogating a suspect into a false admission. A confession is one of the strongest forms of evidence that can be brought into a court of law. And not all coerced or nonvoluntary confessions are false and not all false confessions are coerced.
    Whether the suspect was of sound mind and whether the confession was voluntary or coerced must be considered by judges and juries. It is sometimes argued that police coercion, including deception and trickery, is necessary to make criminals confess, but such interrogation techniques also risk eliciting false confessions. The argument is whether without deception would there be any significant amount of confessions and does this rise to infringing on someones rights?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lying cops...

    Other
    Yes is a type of answer that will continue with some of the public mistrust of our police.
    I think this depends on the quality of "lie", and the severity of the crime..
    Where it come to the publics happiness and welfare, the police should able to do "shady things", extreme things to protect society from the criminal element...including torture...
    Judgment is a key word here.
    The police are a whole lot smarter/trained/educated than the thugs from yester-year.
    even in the southern states..

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Why do liberals hate the police so much?
    What does this "half truth" have to do with anything ?

  6. #56
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: Lying cops...

    hell no I don't think cops should be allowed to lie. It's already been mentioned here several times, but they lose credibility when they lie. Also, to me, lying to secure information or a confession would be the same as beating the hell out of a suspect to get a confession.

    If the evidence is strong enough, improper procedures aren't necessary. If the evidence isn't strong enough, then find more evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  7. #57
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    hell no I don't think cops should be allowed to lie. It's already been mentioned here several times, but they lose credibility when they lie. Also, to me, lying to secure information or a confession would be the same as beating the hell out of a suspect to get a confession.

    If the evidence is strong enough, improper procedures aren't necessary. If the evidence isn't strong enough, then find more evidence.
    I disagree. It is certainly NOT the same as beating the hell out of a suspect to get a confession. How effective is a lie on an innocent person? "We found your fingerprints on the knife." "No, no you didn't."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #58
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Of course they should be allowed to lie. There is no need to be honorable to the dishonorable, and criminals are dishonorable by definition.
    When government prosecutors suppress evidence that indicates a suspect's innocence, or even manufactures evidence implicating the suspect, they aren't quite the paragon of honor themselves.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  9. #59
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,885

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    There's a famous case where the police hooked some guy up to a "lie detector" which was actually just the copy machine and every time the guy the answered a question, they'd push the copy button and out would come a piece of paper saying he was lying. Lol.

    Actually that went too far, while cops can engage in some lying, they cannot use props to manufacture fake "evidence". For example, they could tell a suspect that his buddy has given a statement saying that the suspect is completely guilty. They could not write up a fake statement and show that to the suspect.
    That was an episode of The Wire.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #60
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lying cops...

    The point the legislators believe is that police need some leeway in interrogating suspects or there would never be any confessions to amount. Deception and some forms of coercion are considered effective against the guilty, not the innocent.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •