View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #111
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Lying cops...

    Courts use a shock the conscious test for police lies. They cannot say things like "Your mom was in an accident and is in the hospital and is about to die; as soon as you confess, I can take you there to see her before its too late" and have that stand on an appeal, but otherwise, things like "I have a witness who saw you" are fair game. I cannot conceive of why people would confess to a crime they did not commit, so if they do it solely because of a police lie makes zero sense to me.

  2. #112
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Lying cops...

    It also amazes me how many people agree to polygraph tests. They're junk science.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #113
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It also amazes me how many people agree to polygraph tests. They're junk science.
    Exactly. Whether innocent or guilty, NEVER agree to a polygraph. If they call it a lie detector test, tell them the truth that there's no such thing as a lie detector. The things should be banned for anything other than a parlor trick.

  4. #114
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,567

    Re: Lying cops...

    I thought, in most cases, polygraphs weren't admissible in court because they are so unreliable. All they are really good for are tools the prosecution uses to sway the jury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #115
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I thought, in most cases, polygraphs weren't admissible in court because they are so unreliable. All they are really good for are tools the prosecution uses to sway the jury.
    They are admissible in court if both the prosecution and defense agrees. I doubt I'd take one myself...I'd leave it to my attorney. Seems to me that the only thing the results can do are hurt you...since if the test determines you're not lying, they wouldn't necessarily believe it anyway...which says a great deal about their thoughts about it as well.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #116
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Like I said you have no idea how it works and you have even less of a chance of ever changing it...
    A lot of people seem to have that same misconception. By all means, enlighten all of us why LEO's all need to be lying pieces of ****. As of now all you've done is say "you don't understand it" then run off.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They are admissible in court if both the prosecution and defense agrees. I doubt I'd take one myself...I'd leave it to my attorney. Seems to me that the only thing the results can do are hurt you...since if the test determines you're not lying, they wouldn't necessarily believe it anyway...which says a great deal about their thoughts about it as well.
    I think this is backward. The only thing a polygraph can do is help you. The results of a polygraph are entirely up to the defense to use. Very rarely does a suspect pass a polygraph administered by police (and by extension the prosecution) and a judge dismiss it. However, if you fail the defense has great success in getting them thrown out. Also I believe many times a person passes a polygraph it points to their innocence in the eyes of law enforcement and they begin to look at other alternatives as well.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #118
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Lying cops...

    Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?
    Absolutely. They need to get the truth. A lie isnt going to make you be guilty. It could trap you into admitting guilt, which if you are guilty then I dont care if you were trapped.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #119
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    When government prosecutors suppress evidence that indicates a suspect's innocence, or even manufactures evidence implicating the suspect, they aren't quite the paragon of honor themselves.
    Of course, and both of those things are serious ethical violations and potentially even crimes themselves (certainly in the case of manufacturing evidence) but neither of those things are what we're talking about here, at all.

  10. #120
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Absolutely. They need to get the truth. A lie isnt going to make you be guilty. It could trap you into admitting guilt, which if you are guilty then I dont care if you were trapped.
    A lie can make someone admit guilt to a crime they didn't commit. Especially if the police are promising lenient sentences in exchange for pleading guilty.Many people don't fight.Many companies for example just settle out of court because fighting it can become costly.Many people plead guilty because fighting it can result in a more severe punishment should they fight and lose.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •