View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #101
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I made sure I had this talk with my son when he was about 15... I felt bad that I had to tell him "don't trust cops", but having been one I felt that I had no choice...
    Yep. Police want to "close the case", preferably by getting a confession. Telling a "suspect" that they will likely get convicted, based on some fabricated CSI BS, is the quickest/easiest route to achieve that end. Very few cases go to trial and always remember this simple, basic right (the Miranda warning):

    "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to be speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense."
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Ha! I watched both of these videos last year and it really had a profound effect on me. I had no idea how much could go wrong just talking to cops even if you're completely innocent.
    That's another reason why a lot of us oppose gun registration: it's not that we're guilty of something and have something to hide, it's that the information will be misused, such as a gun-grab.

    If gun registration were like car registration, for purposes of collecting taxes to pay for some kind of public access, or for returning a stolen gun to it's rightful owner, then there wouldn't be a big stink about it.

  3. #103
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    The police are human. They can and often are WRONG. Their business is not cut and dried. They often go by their gut based on exeperiance. They may fixiate on a favorite theory that fits the facts they percieve they have. There is a reason that even if your spouce is murdered you would get an attorney pronto. You the spouce WILL be suspect number one. Most murder of familiy members are commited by the spouce. Thats a fact. ANYTHING you say can and will be used against you. I know you saw that You Tube lecture on why. The gentlemen is absolutely correct in his assertations that you not say anything. The police are NOT going to believe you. Its not their job, their job is to gather evidence to make a case. They DONT know you. They have NO vested interest in you. They are going to follow the forensics and the evidence they have to eliminate you. They WILL lie to you to provoke you to help them make their case AGAINST you. What you say WILL NOT help them eliminate you. There are plenty of people in jail who were wrongly convicted, because of something they said that was taken out of context ect. Procecuters dont care about the truth. They care about wins and what they can PROOVE.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said here.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #104
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Why do liberals hate the police so much?
    You asked the same ridiculous and irrelevant question in another thread. Are you a spambot?

  5. #105
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Lying cops...

    I don't think so. If I were ever arrested for anything, whether I were guilty or innocent, I would lawyer up immediately. If anyone's not familiar with the expression "lawyer up," it means to use your right to remain silent and demand your attorney. Since I know a cop has the right essentially to tell me anything, even if it's a ridiculous lie, I just don't trust them. The only person I would speak with would be my attorney.

  6. #106
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Expecting cops to not lie is absurd? So if a cop tells you during an interrogation "We have everything we need to put you away. If you just confess, I can make sure the judge let's you off easy." when absolutely none of that is remotely true, you think that's completely just and fair game? What about all of the innocent people who are just too stupid to know that cops are a bunch of lying pieces of ****?

    I have this crazy idea that we should hold our public servants to a higher standard than a bunch of lying **** heads.

    Like I said you have no idea how it works and you have even less of a chance of ever changing it...

  7. #107
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If everyone thought like some of the people on this board, crimes would never get solved.



    I'd be interested to see what you thought of these tactics if it was your daughter found dead lying by the side of the road. Nobody will talk to the cops. Everybody lawyers up. Yeah, that'll make the streets safer. Yes. Yes, it will.

    One only has to look at how that philosophy works in our inner-cities to know it's a failure.
    What's a failure? Yes, let's look at inner-cities. Cops lie in investigations (for the most part), and they are legally allowed to do so. We also have the highest incarceration rate in the world AND we still have crappy crime-infested neighborhoods. Not to mention that organizations like the Innocence Project are doing a booming business precisely because way too many innocent people get caught up in the system.
    Last edited by radcen; 01-07-13 at 10:13 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Let's put it this way, if you have nothing to hide, then talk to the cops all you want. If you are guilty, however, I would discourage it.
    There are plenty of innocent people in prison who had nothing to hide.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Lying cops...

    FWIW: According to a book I read a couple years ago, our's is the only "first world" nation that allows its police to lie to suspects.

    Take that however you want.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #110
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Lying cops...

    As far as the original question goes, guilt vs innocence of the suspect is wholly and completely irrelevant.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •