View Poll Results: Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    23 44.23%
  • No.

    21 40.38%
  • Other.

    8 15.38%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 122

Thread: Lying cops...

  1. #91
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Lying cops...

    Yes without a doubt. The problem is you should not be talking to the police if you are under arrest without council, period. In fact as a rule of thumb never answer any questions from police outside of name address without council.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #92
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Then you will never get what you want when it comes to police interrogations, you obviously know nothing about them how they do and must work. I will not debate a topic thats based on the absurd expectation
    Expecting cops to not lie is absurd? So if a cop tells you during an interrogation "We have everything we need to put you away. If you just confess, I can make sure the judge let's you off easy." when absolutely none of that is remotely true, you think that's completely just and fair game? What about all of the innocent people who are just too stupid to know that cops are a bunch of lying pieces of ****?

    I have this crazy idea that we should hold our public servants to a higher standard than a bunch of lying **** heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #93
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You probably shouldn't talk at all to the cops regardless of guilt or innocence.

    Ha! I watched both of these videos last year and it really had a profound effect on me. I had no idea how much could go wrong just talking to cops even if you're completely innocent.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I will say that I would never so much as enter an interrogation room without a lawyer - innocent or not. It's crazy to me how many people talk to the police w/o representation.
    Perhaps kids should be taught their rights in school.

  5. #95
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Perhaps kids should be taught their rights in school.

    I made sure I had this talk with my son when he was about 15... I felt bad that I had to tell him "don't trust cops", but having been one I felt that I had no choice...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #96
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That's baloney. A myth perpetrated by, guess who?? Lawyers.

    If my loved one is killed, I'm going to be questioned. If I've done nothing wrong, you can damned well betcha' I'm going to be answering cops' questions immediately. The so-called 48-hour window isn't a myth. Time is everything in a murder investigation. The faster the cops can rule me out . . . the faster I can give information about my loved one's schedule, enemies, etc., etc., the closer cops can get to finding the perp.

    If I had a police record, I would probably feel differently. But the idea that the cops are "out ta' gitcha" is ridiculous. They're out to solve the crime.
    The police are human. They can and often are WRONG. Their business is not cut and dried. They often go by their gut based on exeperiance. They may fixiate on a favorite theory that fits the facts they percieve they have. There is a reason that even if your spouce is murdered you would get an attorney pronto. You the spouce WILL be suspect number one. Most murder of familiy members are commited by the spouce. Thats a fact. ANYTHING you say can and will be used against you. I know you saw that You Tube lecture on why. The gentlemen is absolutely correct in his assertations that you not say anything. The police are NOT going to believe you. Its not their job, their job is to gather evidence to make a case. They DONT know you. They have NO vested interest in you. They are going to follow the forensics and the evidence they have to eliminate you. They WILL lie to you to provoke you to help them make their case AGAINST you. What you say WILL NOT help them eliminate you. There are plenty of people in jail who were wrongly convicted, because of something they said that was taken out of context ect. Procecuters dont care about the truth. They care about wins and what they can PROOVE.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #97
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If everyone thought like some of the people on this board, crimes would never get solved.



    I'd be interested to see what you thought of these tactics if it was your daughter found dead lying by the side of the road. Nobody will talk to the cops. Everybody lawyers up. Yeah, that'll make the streets safer. Yes. Yes, it will.

    One only has to look at how that philosophy works in our inner-cities to know it's a failure.
    Getting a lawyer to SPEAK FOR YOU is not stupid. Even if I was a witness I would get a lawyer. The legal system is a minefield. Step in the wrong place and YOU WILL GET your hind end handed to you. Its a different world with different rules. Only a fool would would attempt to navigate it without a guide if they were available.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #98
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I say that legally they should not be allowed to lie.And if a cop does lie to get a so called confession it should be brought to the attention of the jury that the cop did lie. Many people won't risk fighting to prove their innocence if they believe the evidence is stacked against them and this leads to innocent people confessing to crimes they did not commit. Besides that police should be seen as trust worthy,more trust worthy than your average citizen. Police being allowed to lie creates a perception that police are untrustworthy liars and therefore corrupt. This helps facilitate a no snitch culture that plagues many communities.
    While I agree with you inprinciple, de facto I believe that there are cases where lies may need to be peretrated by the police to smoke out suspects. The real world is not the clean place we would like it to be. Reality sucks sometimes. The times where a lie is told I believe there should be strict controls.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Lying cops...

    Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone?

    I have to vote "no".
    They should not be allowed to lie.
    LEO are representatives of the Government.
    The Government should not be able to lie to you.

    In addition, where it is illegal for a person to lie to and investigator, it should be illegal for an investigator to lie to that person.



    The only exception I can see for this is if there is an immediate concern for safety.
    Such as a person who has hidden a gun they had used in a crime, in a grocery store, in their attempt to get away.

    In this limited exception LE would be able to lie and trick and coerce for the safety of others, but not be allowed to use against the individual that which they found out.
    Last edited by Excon; 01-07-13 at 07:25 PM.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Lying cops...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Should cops be allowed to lie when interrogating someone for a crime?
    Yes.


    .....

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •