View Poll Results: Should the Bankers be prosecuted?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    24 70.59%
  • NO

    4 11.76%
  • CHOP THEIR HEADS

    6 17.65%
  • NO, EXPLAIN PLEASE

    2 5.88%
  • I DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS

    2 5.88%
  • YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYBODY

    3 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81

Thread: Bankers or Criminals?

  1. #21
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Nope, not true.

    History of banking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    If you went to a world without banking, you'd return mighty fast.
    Probably clothed in animal skins, living in a gas hut, before you returned.
    I doubt that harry...but I do concede the point to you...now lets see if you will concede that their have been far too many big bank crooks that have robbed billions off the american people that got caught and never spent a day in prison.

  2. #22
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Using some individuals definitions, I'm a banker.
    I would agree in a limited circumstance.

    What does a banker do?
    She/He extends capital to people, who would otherwise not have it.
    For the purposes of financing business and large purchases, like homes and cars.

    I lent people money to refinance their debt, into a lower rate (my rate).
    Is that evil, is that bad?

    They asked and I obliged them, of course I made sure their income and obligations could support the repayment structure.

    In total, "bankers" and "banking" has helped our world, far more than it has harmed.
    Then, as a banker, you should have read the linked article. Were the "Too big to fail banks" asked or qualified for your words, "of course I made sure their income and obligations could support the repayment structure?" Ergo, as a banker, you must also agree that prosecution was more appropriate than a bailout, or not?

  3. #23
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    I posted about this on another thread. Bankers were not allowed not to race to the bottom. The non-existent CRA loan approval policies were the minimum requirements within the federal regulations. Banks were threatened with unfair lending practices action if they had standards higher than the minimum required by the regulators so everybody got the CRA approval standard whether or not it was a CRA loan or the banks wanted to give them. That allowed people to use their credit cards and their mortgages in tandem to drive themselves into insolvency.

  4. #24
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Here is my investment advice for 2013....
    more stocks, NO
    more bonds, NO
    more debt, HELL NO

    pay off every debt you can, and don't incur any more debt. Interest paid is success delayed.

    Once you have all your "little" debts eliminated, start work on the big one, the mortgage.
    The more important the asset, the more you need to own it outright. A mortgage is more than a loan, it is shared ownership with people who have more power than you. They hope you fail, so they can take your house.

    Make plans for the future and buy the things you need to accomplish that future. That may mean more education, income property, stocking up on food, enough savings to pay your bills for 2 years, things of that nature.

    Try to minimize the amount of savings you have that is available to the bankers to use to THEIR advantage..
    they didn't get all their education to make you and me rich, they got it to make themselves rich.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I doubt that harry...but I do concede the point to you...now lets see if you will concede that their have been far too many big bank crooks that have robbed billions off the american people that got caught and never spent a day in prison.
    There have been some, no doubt, but there's no perfect person on this planet.
    You're going to have criminals, although I don't know if I'd say they robbed billions off of people.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #26
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Then, as a banker, you should have read the linked article. Were the "Too big to fail banks" asked or qualified for your words, "of course I made sure their income and obligations could support the repayment structure?" Ergo, as a banker, you must also agree that prosecution was more appropriate than a bailout, or not?
    Not all "bankers" did this.
    It's been argued that some did with state "nudging" and what of those individuals who were complicit with this?

    Should they to have been jailed for lying?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #27
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Not all "bankers" did this.
    It's been argued that some did with state "nudging" and what of those individuals who were complicit with this?

    Should they to have been jailed for lying?
    It would appear a few were trapped to bundle everyone into the same crime and complicity prevents prosecution, perhaps. I understand what you were alluding to, but what about the crimes.

  8. #28
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    We need to once again separate Church and State --- speculation and lending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Using some individuals definitions, I'm a banker.
    I would agree in a limited circumstance.

    What does a banker do?
    She/He extends capital to people, who would otherwise not have it.
    For the purposes of financing business and large purchases, like homes and cars.

    I lent people money to refinance their debt, into a lower rate (my rate).
    Is that evil, is that bad?

    They asked and I obliged them, of course I made sure their income and obligations could support the repayment structure.

    In total, "bankers" and "banking" has helped our world, far more than it has harmed.
    I have no problem with the bank you describe. That's what a bank used to be and the world was a happy place. When we allowed traditional banks and "investment banks" (speculators) to merge is when we started having problems and why (IMO and many others) we were required to bail the bastards out to avoid further economic ruin.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Should "citizens" start a petition demanding prosecution and get enough signatures that a Federal level comment is necessary? Is that foolish, or practical? Sounds about like the "torture" deal and nothing will happen.
    It's foolish, since the banks were only following the regulations that were forced upon them by the government. If anyone should be prosecuted, it should be the politicians that forced these banks to make loans to people that couldn't afford to pay them back. I mean, a bus driver gets a loan for an $800,000 home? Gimme a break!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Bankers or Criminals?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's foolish, since the banks were only following the regulations that were forced upon them by the government. If anyone should be prosecuted, it should be the politicians that forced these banks to make loans to people that couldn't afford to pay them back. I mean, a bus driver gets a loan for an $800,000 home? Gimme a break!!
    More misinformation ...
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •